What's new

Shampoo bar versus body bar

What are the main differences between shampoo bars and body bars? I used a sample of a Stirling Sandpiper shampoo bar this morning and really liked it and am thinking of ordering but am wonder what the differences are. I'm not crazy about having two different bars in the shower to keep track of so I'm wondering if a shampoo bar can double as a body bar.

They're interchangeable, on the whole.

Both ("shampoo" and "body" bars) likely have surfactant, i.e. detergent and/or soap salt, so both should cleanse.
Both may be made to be moisturizing.
Both may be (potentially) harsh.

In the case of Stirling, the "shampoo" appears to be more moisturizing (by virtue of its superfats).
If you don't mind more body moisturization, the Stirling "shampoo" should be fine as a 2-in-1.

(Soap-based hair shampoo may lead to build-up of film on hair, which can be neutralized with an acid, like vinegar.)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have used a shampoo bar as a body bar with no problems. When I tried it the other way around it caused dandruff and an itchy scalp. That may have been the particular body soap I used at the time which was Cussons Imperial Leather. I have now stopped washing my hair completely, other than with clean water and very ooccasionally conditioner, and it has never been better.

Top Bottom