Shallow shaving shiny razor suggestions

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Shiny on a budget

20230513_194625.jpg

20230513_195514.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
Small gap, positive exposure, shallow angle, and modern design? I try not to shill our own stuff, but you’ve described the Blackbird more perfectly than I could.
Thanks!

Just curious, does the Lite have positive exposure? Any plans on releasing a mirror polished version?

Thanks!

Just curious, does the Lite have positive exposure? Any plans on releasing a mirror polished version?

Yes the Lite has positive blade exposure - about half as much as the standard Blackbird. Enough to notice the blade, but not overly intrusive.

We offer a mirror polished finish for our stainless razors, including the Blackbird and Blackbird Lite. We don’t currently have a polished finish for the titanium versions of these razor. Hope that helps!

Hey guys,

My spending fingers are getting a little itchy. Please make a few suggestions if you've come across razors that meet the following proprieties:
  • Shallow angle: <30 degrees
  • Positive exposure: 0.05-0.1mm
  • Small gap: <0.7mm
  • Shiny: Steel or brass preferred, but I'll take plated Zamak too, no brushed/matte finish please.
  • Sleek head design, preferred, but not a must. Shallow razors tend to be sleek anyways.
  • Closed comb
For you Blutt shavers, would you call it a shallow razor? Does the 0.8 option have positive exposure? Blutt is slightly outside of my preferences, but I do like the look!

*TLDR, I'm looking for a modern shiny Tech.
Can someone clear up a question for me. I've found it very confusing what people mean by "shallow angle". When someone talks about a razor that shaves with a "Shallow" or "Steep" angle I think of it like this crude drawing I made. Is this correct? Or have I got it backwards? Because whenever I read online threads about this topic it seems some people think the opposite of what I've drawn here and others would agree with this drawing.
1684112733781.png

And if that picture (above) is correct ... then wouldn't a razor that needs a shallow angle be Greater Than 30 degrees rather than less than? My understanding is that when talking about the shaving angle of a razor, the degrees would be like this drawing where the blue lines indicate the angle (much greater than 30 degrees in this drawing):

1684112360037.png

Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me. I think of a razor like Hensen as steep angle (25-45 degrees) and a razor like a Tech as shallow angle (35-55 degrees). Or have I got this all screwed up?

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Can someone clear up a question for me. I've found it very confusing what people mean by "shallow angle". When someone talks about a razor that shaves with a "Shallow" or "Steep" angle I think of it like this crude drawing I made. Is this correct? Or have I got it backwards? Because whenever I read online threads about this topic it seems about half of the people think the opposite of what I've drawn here.
View attachment 1654591

And if that picture (above) is correct ... then wouldn't a razor that needs a shallow angle be Greater Than 30 degrees rather than less than? My understanding is that when talking about the shaving angle of a razor the degrees would be like this drawing where the blue lines indicate the angle (much greater than 30 degrees in this drawing):

View attachment 1654590
Hi,

You got the shallow and steep right. But the angle usually means blade vs face, not the handle of the razor.

Thus, shallow slices, steep scrapes. I like slicing!

Hey guys,

My spending fingers are getting a little itchy. Please make a few suggestions if you've come across razors that meet the following proprieties:
  • Shallow angle: <30 degrees
  • Positive exposure: 0.05-0.1mm
  • Small gap: <0.7mm
  • Shiny: Steel or brass preferred, but I'll take plated Zamak too, no brushed/matte finish please.
  • Sleek head design, preferred, but not a must. Shallow razors tend to be sleek anyways.
  • Closed comb
For you Blutt shavers, would you call it a shallow razor? Does the 0.8 option have positive exposure? Blutt is slightly outside of my preferences, but I do like the look!

*TLDR, I'm looking for a modern shiny Tech.

How much do you have to spend on something you think you want?🥳

Plus maybe you do not need?🫠

Hi,

You got the shallow and steep right. But the angle usually means blade vs face, not the handle of the razor.

Thus, shallow slices, steep scrapes. I like slicing!
I understand the blade angle concept :) But I would use the same blade angle (slicing, not scraping) regardless of what the razor is. That's why I would change the angle I hold the razor in order to put the blade at the correct angle to my skin.

lasta

Blade Biter
How much do you have to spend on something you think you want?🥳

Plus maybe you do not need?🫠

Cheaper the better! I judge razors primarily on shine to price ratio.

This is more or less a consolation purchase as Theo couldn't get the Athena to me. So I'd set the budget to $250 shipped.

lasta

Blade Biter
Have you tried it? Inquiring minds want to know how it performs compared to the Tech.
Just got the DS-OR. There is a reason why this model isn't officially released...

Shiny shiny approved! Haven't shaved with it, but by touch with blade attached, feels milder than a Tech.

Obvious design flaws though, the top cap and baseplate is cut at a different angle.

20230518_113303.jpg20230518_113221.jpg20230518_113805.jpg

This thing is going straight back.

I get what I paid for haha!

There is a reason why this model isn't officially released...
Ah, thats why I couldn't find it.

Such a pitty, it looks pretty neat. I'm a bit bummed my Techs nickle has lost it's shine. Sending it out for replate seems a bit silly, after all it's just looks. And I am too lazy to sand them down and keep the brass polished. A cheap way to get some shine would have been this razor. I would imagine the extra weight would make it even better.

This isn't the first time ds has fumbled the football. I was struggling to get the blade out of my AX again this morning. Love the company and their products, their manchurian badger knots are my favourite! But whats going on with this machining?

Also, howcome you got your hands on a razor that hasnt official my been released yet??!

The outer 4 corners of the "bent down bar" look pretty sharp as well, are they?
Are there no downward corner thingamagingies on the topcap for extra blade alignment?

Yes, I need to work on my terminology 😅

lasta

Blade Biter
Ah, thats why I couldn't find it.

Such a pitty, it looks pretty neat. I'm a bit bummed my Techs nickle has lost it's shine. Sending it out for replate seems a bit silly, after all it's just looks. And I am too lazy to sand them down and keep the brass polished. A cheap way to get some shine would have been this razor. I would imagine the extra weight would make it even better.

This isn't the first time ds has fumbled the football. I was struggling to get the blade out of my AX again this morning. Love the company and their products, their manchurian badger knots are my favourite! But whats going on with this machining?

Also, howcome you got your hands on a razor that hasnt official my been released yet??!

The outer 4 corners of the "bent down bar" look pretty sharp as well, are they?
Are there no downward corner thingamagingies on the topcap for extra blade alignment?

Yes, I need to work on my terminology 😅

I don't mind occasionally polishing my Techs! If you bother to wipe them dry, they'll stay shiny for quite a while.

As for the DS-OR, I saw someone selling one second hand, but before I can click buy it was sold. So I messaged DS on Taobao, they happen to have these in stock since late April, but not listed yet.

That being said, service was cordial and they accepted the return no questions asked. China or not, this is just another small business catering to us "shaving as a hobby" nutjobs! Someone must have put in quite the effort to get this piece polished, and now the whole batch will probably be written off.

BTW, the corners are not sharp, no guides other than Tech style centre pins, but alignment is fine..

Last edited:
Top Bottom