What's new

Shall I buy naniwa 12k water stone for straight razor maintenance?

This is a rare and appreciated post. Rarely do others recognize that one's beard is a significant factor when choosing which honing medium to use. :a14:

The characteristics of your beard and your face are critical factors in everything shaving: razors (straight razors, DE, SEe, etc.), hones, strops, DE blades, soaps, etc. When I post, I try to define my needs to others can evaluate my comments compared to their personal needs. What I say about my hardware and software may have no relevancy to you unless you have a tough beard and a sensitive face like I do.

Your question is multifaceted as the 12k can only do so much once the blade loses it's edge.
Then you need more abrasion to sharpen the edge.
As there are many hundred of combinations that can work but probably only one that will work for you.
Sounds like you are interested in stones you might as well learn to sharpen a dull blade with a progression of stones.
I kept on buying shave ready straights until it was time since they all got dull even with a strop.
Look at the naniwa straight edge stone collection.
The real rocks cost more for a beginner to learn on, someday I will get one.

The characteristics of your beard and your face are critical factors in everything shaving: razors (straight razors, DE, SEe, etc.), hones, strops, DE blades, soaps, etc. When I post, I try to define my needs to others can evaluate my comments compared to their personal needs. What I say about my hardware and software may have no relevancy to you unless you have a tough beard and a sensitive face like I do.

Okay, and perhaps I follow the same path, but you said it better than I could have said. :)

Yes you should buy a naniwa 12.

And all the other stuff is great. Absolutely.

But a nani12 is kinda the basic and reliable thing. And the way to go when you're starting. Which you are.

I have the other stuff as well. But you know, I really like my Saturday mornings. I circle the outside of the nani with a coti slip, a few times, to maintain eternal flatness. Then holding the nani freehand, I give my razor ten light laps.

Then back to leather daily. You can fall down the rabbit hole into jnats later. You just need to shave now.

I have purposely dulled my edge only gently untill it was not able to shave arm hair and the 12 k with some circles followed by x strokes brough That edge right back to shave ready it’s a really good hone so my answer is yes because it’s simple and it will work every time .

I have done this with the 8 k n and 10 k Nani and the results were great .

I really enjoy my Naniwa 12k. Well worth the 100 bucks I paid for it. If you buy one, get the 20 mm version.

It is often the first finishing stone I use after restoring "new" razors - acts as a benchmark. And it loves old Sheffield crucible steel :).

My first stone was the Naniwa 12k. In my opinion it can do much more then just polish.
It can be a little hard to read the feedback if you are using only one stone.
If I use it, i usually come from an 8k. The 12k is just used with a bare minimum of strokes.
I usually ended up with a little false harsh edge in the beginning. If you follow the 12k with pasted balsa this will most likely fix that.
I would get the thick version and a balsa to smooth out the edge if needed.

Top Bottom