What's new

Shaken or Stirred?

Gin (Tanqueray please!), a tiny bit more Gin. Dry, stirred, lemon zest.

Each and every time. Funny I will try a million shaving products but will never alter my Martini.

Ugh, gin. I just can't stand the taste of juniper, really.

I like vodka martinis. I like the way it sounds when I say "Vodka martini, very dry, no fruit." I am picky about vodkas and simply won't order one if they don't have Stolichnaya or Grey Goose behind the bar.

But mostly I like the sour look on my date's face after she says "I've never had a martini before, can I try some of yours?" :lol:

For the gin snobs: Last I checked, it's the VERMOUTH bottle that says Martini and Rossi on it, not the gin. :tongue_sm

ive never had a martini and i wouldnt know where to start if ordering one, im more a beer guy anyways

Simple. Hendrick's martini. Up. If you're asked if you want it dry, say no. You can then start adjusting for ratio and gin. Or you can start with squarriggers 3-1 ratio and adjust from there.

Can't forget the Gibson. Even though it isn't a 'martini' technically, I can't resist those little onions! If I don't go for my old fashioned-muddled or sweet manhattan up shaken with a cherry I like a Vodka Gibson extra Onions

I prefer shaken as I find it colder and prefer it mare diluted as I find it mellows the martini. However, I certainly never turn away a martini just because it has been stirred.

Winston Churchill would say the best is made by pouring the gin, then glancing briefly at a bottle of vermouth across the room

Winston Churchill would say the best is made by pouring the gin, then glancing briefly at a bottle of vermouth across the room

The only thing this proves is that Winston Churchill was a drunk. I don't think this is really a historical revelation. :biggrin1:

I like my vodka martinis very dry, but without at least a little vermouth it isn't really a martini. I would say the minimum is at least one drop. ;)

bruising is BS.

I used to say the same thing. Then I saw a TV show where three people each BLINDLY tasted two Martinis that were shaken and stirred. Each drink was allowed to "settle" a couple minutes (shaken Martinis lose any cloudiness quickly). All three tasters *could* tell the difference. I'm convinced there may actually be a difference.

That said... shaking (my preference) isn't necessarily bad. Using a term like "bruising" gives it a bad rap. The WSJ cocktail guru, Eric Felten (for whom I have great respect) describes the shaken Martini as having an "icy bite", while the stirred is "silky". He, like me, prefers them shaken.

To each their own. But one thing is clear: it's made with gin.

Winston Churchill had no idea what he was missing. The only way to add vermouth is to raise it into a beam of moonlight, casting its vermouthish light fully over the gin. This also makes the shaken/stirred argument moot, and prevents the vermouth from ruining the gin by means of physical contact.

Top Bottom