What's new

SF Bay Area Retailers?

Noob here. I found this site and it has been extremely encouraging.

Until 2 days ago, I had no idea that that these better products and techniques existed (though it did trigger the memory of my Dad's old safety razor).

So, now I have a good razor on the way, as well as the usual accessories that would get approval from this crowd and am about to try shaving again... after a 6 year rest.

I stopped because of how it made me break-out even when I was using the best double/trible-blade cartridge razor and the best gel shaving cream. I don't know if anything will change, but it's worth a try.

I have been close-cropping with clippers to achieve perma-stubble which has worked great for my skin, but is always something that bothers me when it comes to my SO. She's a trooper cause she knows what shaving does to my face, but still...

So I have more threads to go through, but I am thinking that I will want to do a lot of experimenting and while I found great prices for main tools on the www, where can I go in the Bay Area to find Trumpers, and all those other soaps and lotions that people talk about? I am on the Peninsula.

-Joe F

Hi Joe and welcome to B&B. Cable Car clothiers carry some of the English shave creams. I caution you though that they charge a premium. Order Trumpers from www.qedusa.com for better pricing.

You're more likely to find shaving gear cheaper online than at a retail store. I find it more convenient to buy online anyways. You save on time and gas.

Welcome, Joe!

As mentioned above, you have a great resource in SF with Nancy Boy. I made a visit there on a recent business trip and spent WAAAAAAY too much $--happily.:tongue:

Not sure where exactly you are at on the peninsula, but Stanford Shopping Center has a Crabtree & Evelyn and a L'Occitane a couple hundred feet away. C & E will give you samples so you can try out their creams and balms.

I have heard there are some retailers in SF that sell Trumpers products although prices are extremely high I understand. You can email Trumpers directly and they will send you shaving cream samples. This way you can try them out before making any purchases.

thanks everyone. I live in Mountain View and work in Foster City, so I'll check out Stanford.

Joe F said:
...where can I go in the Bay Area to find Trumpers, and all those other soaps and lotions that people talk about? I am on the Peninsula.

-Joe F

Hey Joe,

Trumpers can be purchased at a variety of locations in SF, but the one with the best prices and overall selection is GUMPS near Union Square, who just recently started stocking them. More expensive than ordering online certainly (typically about a $5-$10 mark up for each item if I recall), but there is something unique and really more satisfying about trying these things in person and taking them home. They also carry DR Harris and a few high end Italian lines.

Don't even bother with Cable Car Clothiers, good selection and nice people, but the prices are an utter joke ($63 for a tub of DR HARRIS!!!).

For Proraso try TARGET.

GRANT"S TOBBACONISTS on Market St. carries a selection Merkur razors and accessories as well as Col Conk soaps.

For T&H try NORDSTROM'S on Market in Downtown SF or DAVID STEPHEN Menswear on Maiden Lane in SF.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: clarified location

Hello, Joe. Welcome to B&B. While I can't help you with local stores, I thought I might point out our list of links which include many online retailers. At worst, it can help expose you to some more of the widely varied products available to today's wet shaver.

reginald-van-gleason said:
Hey Joe,

Trumpers can be purchased at a variety of locations in SF, but the one with the best prices and overall selection is GUMPS near Union Square, who just recently started stocking them. More expensive than ordering online certainly (typically about a $5 mark up for each item if I recall), but there is something unique and really more satisfying about trying these things in person and taking them home. They also carry DR Harris and a few high end Italian lines.

Don't even bother with Cable Car Clothiers, good selection and nice people, but the prices are an utter joke ($63 for a tub of DR HARRIS!!!).

For Proraso try TARGET.

GRANT"S TOBBACONISTS on Market St. carries a selection Merkur razors and accessories as well as Col Conk soaps.

For T&H try NORDSTROM'S or DAVID STEPHEN Menswear on Maiden Lane in SF.

Hope this helps.

So is Nordstom's finally carrying T & H up there? I last checked a couple months ago and they were not carrying it yet. I was wondering how long it would take for them to start carrying it.

Nordtstrom in Downton San Francisco carries T&H and a few others, but I dunno about the other Bay Area locations.

BTW, I love that Gillette quote in your sig... too damn funny :lol:

reginald-van-gleason said:
Nordtstrom in Downton San Francisco carries T&H and a few others, but I dunno about the other Bay Area locations.

BTW, I love that Gillette quote in your sig... too damn funny :lol:
Thanks for the heads up...unfortunately Stanford and Hillsdale don't carry the T&H Products but that gives me an excuse to head up to the city and visit Gumps and Nordstrom. I will be in Vegas next week so I plan on going to T&H anyway...

I pulled the Gillette line from the onion article...has me rolling everytime I read it.

Thanks everyone.

So I started off with a Merkur something or other, Trumper's Skin Food and Trumper's Violet. Silver something brush (new to the terms).

I need to get my technique down, cause I think I pressed too hard the first time, but I think I'll be able to do this. I did get some bumps, but I might have gotten them from waiting too long between shaves, I am going to reset myself and then do it every day to keep anything from growing inward.

It's a lot better than what would happen to me with the disposables and the Edge gel, so I will keep it up and see if it's something I can live with.

Yeah, definitely give it at a minimum of two weeks... I found that it took several weeks to get the whole proper lather/blade technique to give a nice smooth shave with minimal irritation.

Top Bottom