What's new

Sextoblade pass around and PIF

And so it begins..... The package has landed at Brent's!!!!!

Everyone PLEASE post your thoughts on the Sextoblade in this thread (positive or negative) so more folks can learn about this razor.

After about a week she will need to move on to the next person so it can be back in Texas for a pre-graduation shave in December!

Yes, I received the razor on Sunday - I wish I was able to pick it up a bit earlier. I imagine it was sitting in the mailbox for a few days but I left town early Thursday and wasn't back until Sunday (congratulations to my brother on his marriage). I was going to try it Monday morning and couldn't wait. I ended up using it late that night.

I think the best thing I can do is start out with a little bit of advice for Taffy - make sure you have a few days growth when you first try it!!

Why you may ask? Because if you you don't have a good growth you wouldn't actually know that it's cutting!

In all honesty I didn't know what to expect. I assumed that the experience would be similar to the shavettes that they use at barber shops. Tugging a bit, scratchy, etc. But, when I used the Sextoblade it felt like nothing was happening at all. And there was really no sound either. But my whiskers were gone! I couldn't believe how smooth it felt and how effortlessly it guided over my face. I went for a three pass shave (WTG, XTG and ATG) and in the end it was very comforatble, smooth shave with no irritation whatsoever. No weepers or nicks. I almost didn't even use an aftershave. Usually I get a little bit of irritation on my neck here and there.

I think using the blade guide/protector really ensured the best angle for that type of blade. I was curious as to how well it would shave with it on, but it worked. So well I kept it on. I can also tell you I had a second shave with it last night and it was as good as the first.

I tell you one thing, I'll be looking to score one of these on eBay. It seems like a great travel razor. No stropping is necessary and it's easy to clean. Very little fuss. And it's made very well and has good weight so it feels like a straight razor experience. Also, it wouldn't be that bad of a first razor. The blade guide is kind of like training wheels for a newbie shaver.

All in all a great exprience and an excellent idea from Paul. I feel bad for those that missed out on it!

A few more shaves and I'll disinfect and send out to Taffy on Monday. Enjoy it!

Thanks again Paul! Awesome idea!

No problem I'm glad you liked it and congrats to your brother!

I guess I am use to it because sometimes I shave with it twice a day. A big part of the reason I got off of the M3's was the irritation I would get around my neck and I get NONE with the Sextoblade. I have been skipping the AS more and more since my switch too!

I use the guard about 1/3 of the time now, usually just when I am real tired :lol: but I did use it for the first few months and I did feel like it was similar to training wheels. I would like to mention that the guard on the "hair shaper" is different then the one on the Sextoblade so if you plan on getting one remember that (the tines curve toward the blade instead of away).

I believe it avoids a lot of the complaints I have heard about the shavettes because it uses a thicker blade much more like a SE blade then a DE blade. In addition to being a thicker more sturdy blade it lasts a lot longer! Even with my thick course hair I shave everyday and can easily get over a week out of a blade.

Thanks and congrats upcoming for you too!

Thanks for the direction on the guards. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to pick one up on the bay - like I said I think it's an awesome travel razor and I think it could easily be added to part of my rotation.

One of the reasons for this is though I have never used them, I hear that the Shavettes are very light. The way that this one is constructed it has quite a bit of weight to it and seems close to a straight razor. It's not going have as much heft as a 7/8 razor but I think it's comparable to a 5/8 full hollow.

I agree with you on the blade too- it does seem thicker than a DE blade. Also it's wider; I don't think it has same the cutting swath as a regular straight but it's pretty close from what I can tell when I use it. I tried it again last night and the 3rd shave was as good as the first two so I'm thinking it will have longevity like you said.

All in all, I think it's great. This was a really awesome idea you had Paul. Like you said, it doesn't get much pub. I know I'll be talking about it and will suggest to newbies to give it a try instead of a shavette. Also, if I didn't try it I would have never thought to pick one up myself.

Now you guys have got me thinking I need to try mine out.
No matter what, it will be up to be PIF'd at the end of this deal but I may buy a pack of blades and try one out. I guess it would be a shame to have this in my possession for so long and not even know how it shaves.

I never really thought about a straight shaver using one of these for travel before....

I have only used the Fromm blades but I have some Personas that I have been meaning to try, I guess I should have slipped a few in the box.

Now you guys have got me thinking I need to try mine out.
No matter what, it will be up to be PIF'd at the end of this deal but I may buy a pack of blades and try one out. I guess it would be a shame to have this in my possession for so long and not even know how it shaves.

Definately give it a try. As you can see I was pleasantly surprised. I'd definately start out with the blade guide. Being a bit different than a normal straight, and knowing with shavettes the angle can be a bit different, I think the guide keeps you nicely on track.

I never really thought about a straight shaver using one of these for travel before....

I have only used the Fromm blades but I have some Personas that I have been meaning to try, I guess I should have slipped a few in the box.

It's nice not to pack the strop... I always worry about damaging it when I travel.

Definately give it a try. I'd definately start out with the blade guide.

+1

I used the blade guide for a few months when I started and it made things a lot easier! You have it so you might as well give it a shot. I have yet to try these Persona blades I have but can send you one if you want to get a feel for it.

Well gents, my time with the sextoblade is over unfortunately. I'll be shipping her out on the international journey.

Paul & Wayne I'll pm you two the tracking number. I only used one blade so there are some left for the next few trips. Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Cool. I am glad you were pleased with the razor!

From everything I read it seems a lot better than one of the DE shavettes.

How would you discribe the way the Sextoblade cuts/tugs/glides compared to a more traditional straight razor and a shavette if you have any experience?

Paul & Wayne,

I just got back from the post office - she's on her way. I just pm'd both of you with the tracking number. If you didn't get it then let me know.

Paul,

Here is how I would describe it - I didn't receive any cuts or nicks. I think the blade guard really helped.

Also, it was remarkably smooth. To me it was on par if not a little bit smoother of a shave than when I use a traditional straight. A few caveats though - I did use the blade guard on every shave so that may make a difference and as I also hone my own razors in which I'm sure that I have opportunities in getting it very sharp as I'm relatively inexperienced at honing.

I didn't get much tugging either - only a little bit on my neck which I'm still working to perfect. With this one week experience though, it really showed me that I have some opportunities to improve my technique in both honing and blade angle. The guard really helped to show me that on some of the passes I make with a traditional straight I have some room for improvement.

Also, though I've never used a shavette, from what I hear they miss part of the straight razor experience due to the size of the blade and the weight of the razor. The blade size on the sextoblade was comparable to a traditional straight and had a nice heft to it.

Great pass along! Wayne, I look forward to your thoughts. Also, Paul sent along some samples to try that I included with the sextoblade.

Top Bottom