What's new

Sextoblade , not for sale

Got this for $30 also have some persona blades on the way , ...

What would you guys assume is the historical significance of "not for resale"

Maybe barbershops or salesmen???

.... a lot of them are saying , unfinished as well ??? Did I get a full functioning sextoblade???or some kind of prototype

These interested me being a favorite among Badgers , I understand the origanals had blades you can strop and home , can I do anything like this with personas or any other current market blades??

Ohhh and also , is that an open comb guide for shaving ? Or a hairshaper

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-09-23-06-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-01-09-23-06-16.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 37
"Not for resale" I take to mean it was a demo that did not come with the usual retail packaging or warranty, etc. Maybe a pre-production model.

Or it came in a lot package of say 12, and wasn’t intended by the manufacturer/seller to be resold individually.

What would you guys assume is the historical significance of "not for resale"

Maybe barbershops or salesmen???

.... a lot of them are saying , unfinished as well ??? Did I get a full functioning sextoblade???or some kind of prototype
I also have a "Trade Sample Not For Sale" Sextoblade. They're rarer, but not super-rare or hard to find. It's common practice in manufacturing to mark samples not for resale. In the clothing industry, they cut the material tag in half.

That guard never came with that Sextoblade - the proper guard was straight with lather slots, not open comb. The open comb guard was common on hair shapers, and also came on medical Sextoblades. If the teeth curve towards the blade, it's from a hair shaper, and if they're straight it curved away from the blade, it's a rare medical Sextoblade guard.

You can't shave with a hair shaper guard unless you bend the teeth away from the blade.
proxy.php

I also have a "Trade Sample Not For Sale" Sextoblade. They're rarer, but not super-rare or hard to find. It's common practice in manufacturing to mark samples not for resale. In the clothing industry, they cut the material tag in half.

That guard never came with that Sextoblade - the proper guard was straight with lather slots, not open comb. The open comb guard was common on hair shapers, and also came on medical Sextoblades. If the teeth curve towards the blade, it's from a hair shaper, and if they're straight it curved away from the blade, it's a rare medical Sextoblade guard.

You can't shave with a hair shaper guard unless you bend the teeth away from the blade.
proxy.php

How did you like stainless steel medical compared to plastic??? Is there a major weight differance?

Also my understanding the makers where pretty intelligent giving the product the exact measurements to hone a blade .

My question is , do yours have a break apart chrome finish , that may be affected while honing

How did you like stainless steel medical compared to plastic??? Is there a major weight differance?

Also my understanding the makers where pretty intelligent giving the product the exact measurements to hone a blade .

My question is , do yours have a break apart chrome finish , that may be affected while honing
I like the stainless version (it's built like a tank), and the weight difference is substantial - and detrimental. When shaving WTG with the handle pointed up, the extra weight tries harder to rotate the blade to a steeper angle. Not hard to compensate for, but I notice it.

I don't understand your last question. Honing? Break apart finish? No peeling on any of my razors.

Yes this razor established in 1909 has the exact secs .. honing

Way ahead of it's time ,;why stamp it ...

Nothing compares in there field

I have a "TRADE SAMPLE NOT FOR SALE" as well.

The blade holder is chrome plated brass (inspect the jimps and you should see the brass)

The original carbon steel blades can be re-honed as I understand. I wouldn't try it with the Personna 25% sharper blades. They last along time I can get at least a dozen shaves off of one, longer than any other blade I've tried.
The Personna blades are super sharp too. There's another brand which name I can't recall (maybe Fromm) never tried those, but that's another option.

My opinion of the Sextoblade? It's the only shavette I've ever tried and I feel no need to try another they shave so well with the Personna blade.

Yeah , they are wicked awesome ..

Only 2shaves so far with persona blades , but seems like the disposable blades arnt as close of a shave ,, as the real deal ,

The original carbon steel blades can be re-honed as I understand. I wouldn't try it with the Personna 25% sharper blades. They last along time I can get at least a dozen shaves off of one, longer than any other blade I've tried.
While I don't think is ever hone the stainless Personna 25% blades, I do strop them on cotton then leather. Serves two purposes, (1) extends the life of the blade, and (2) smooths out the harshness.

I strop the blade when new, then when I feel it start to tug around the 40 shave point, then once every 10 shaves or so till about 70-80 shaves, then I get bored and start a new blade.

While I don't think is ever hone the stainless Personna 25% blades, I do strop them on cotton then leather. Serves two purposes, (1) extends the life of the blade, and (2) smooths out the harshness.

I strop the blade when new, then when I feel it start to tug around the 40 shave point, then once every 10 shaves or so till about 70-80 shaves, then I get bored and start a new blade.

WOW , Genius ...very conservative

Top Bottom