What's new

Sextoblade , gallery and thread

I'm a huge fan of these weck sextoblade's ... Want to hear about anyone's stropping experiences , and have pics throw em up
IMG_20200131_225137.jpg

Any significant history can be added as well

Here is an old bulletin about sextoblades and stropping back in old times...stated the sextoblade was rated #3 , after Gillette and Autostrop
Screenshot_2020-02-09-11-32-06.jpg

Found the part about silk handkerchief the ultimate finisher to be pretty interesting.

Honing a sextoblade or persona blade in a normal Weck razor changes the angle dramatically.
If you wish to do so and get very good results you must modify a Weck razor by means of thinning the spine out quite a bit.
I have just finished thinning a razor and honing a blade successfully (shave will let me know - tomorrow)
While I have no accurate means of measuring the bevel on an original Weck blade I know that my new edge is slightly steeper.
I have managed to get a 16.7 degree on an original blade. Stropping is done on a non modified razor, sort of.
The bump on the back of the "non modified razor" must be reduced to almost nothing in order to not scratch a strop as well as softening each end at the transition of bevel to end of blade.

Original blades,modified handle and finish honed/stropped blade in user handle (notice the bump still on the honing handle and gone on the stropping handle.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not all handles are the same thickness to begin with.
The honing handle has been thinned to .171.
It has been a fun experiment and this is totally doable given the will.
Digital calipers and a microscope are a must.

Last edited:
Some vintage sextoblades have worked for me , razor unaltered

The ones without the indentations on side , they seem to create a double bevel when honed

Also bump never interfered with strop

No luck on the personnas

Some vintage sextoblades have worked for me , razor unaltered

The ones without the indentations on side , they seem to create a double bevel when honed

Also bump never interfered with strop

No luck on the personnas

There is no way you are not altering the angle without modifying or even with modifying. Sorry.
What indentations?
Some of the bumps have a sharp edge and yes, they will scratch.

My user razor has a spine thickness of .1915 which puts the angle at 18.7 degrees.
The majority of blades D.E and probably Personna's are in the range of 13-17 degrees so without alterations they are much more obtuse than original.
If you can keep it under 17 then it should be fine. When approaching 19 or 20 it is getting pretty steep and won't shave the same.

Last edited:
Ok i have played with personnas , weck razors , and sextoblade razors . The bottom razor type/style is the only one iv had luck with,
IMG_20200209_125157.jpg

It is modified to a double bevel ( but the only one I'd be willing to shave with , seeing as it takes off arm and leg hairs flawlessly.

Also yes , iv made all my sextoblades strop worthy , taking off some chrome on a NOS , which I'm still upset about

They came standard with a double bevel as do many D.E blades.
Ok I'm gonna try shaving with it , 2 days growth ... Been kinda weary trying on face

Take in mind , I'm not someone with microscope or digital calipers, but I am pretty confident due to how well taking off hair

Makes it somewhat of an old-west-origanal-shave , I will update you shortly be cool if you did the same

If you do not have a microscope how are you viewing your edge, loupe? This is not enough to quantify an edge.
As stated, I will shave with mine tomorrow and let you know.
Keep in mind the blade may shave fine at 19-20 degrees but it is far from original.

Yeah I'm using a loupe , I will try on 2-3days of growth , giving me time to perfect edge ...

And making it a real-western-like experience!

At the current moment , I have not tried HHT but the blades I honed and stropped are taking off arm hair flawlessly.

...I will conclude HHT results , with shave results as well

Last edited:
Honing a sextoblade or persona blade in a normal Weck razor changes the angle dramatically.
If you wish to do so and get very good results you must modify a Weck razor by means of thinning the spine out quite a bit.
I have just finished thinning a razor and honing a blade successfully (shave will let me know - tomorrow)
While I have no accurate means of measuring the bevel on an original Weck blade I know that my new edge is slightly steeper.
I have managed to get a 16.7 degree on an original blade. Stropping is done on a non modified razor, sort of.
The bump on the back of the "non modified razor" must be reduced to almost nothing in order to not scratch a strop as well as softening each end at the transition of bevel to end of blade.

Original blades,modified handle and finish honed/stropped blade in user handle (notice the bump still on the honing handle and gone on the stropping handle.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not all handles are the same thickness to begin with.
The honing handle has been thinned to .171.
It has been a fun experiment and this is totally doable given the will.
Digital calipers and a microscope are a must.

Also geofatboy with shave nation , tested the same way we are ...using same equipment as you ...

I think his best results , where 3-4 layers electrical tape.

I'm just going to do it the origanal meant to be old school way , the way of are forefathers ...may not even use loupe

Il update soon , thought the geofatboy thing may interest you , he has 2 episodes about it.

Gamma has posted one of these in a thread.
They are not seen often which prompted me to modify a standard one.
I tried to contact him for info but he didn't wish to respond. No matter, I figured it out.
I'd liked to have known the thickness of the honing handle specific to that purpose. Ultimately it doesn't matter so long as it shaves well.

Just shaved with the freshly honed blade. This thing is sharp!
First stroke WTG was good but not great. I lowered my shaving angle to pretty much flat and smooth as silk.
ATG was smooth as butter, as was XTG.
There is so much unsupported blade out there that I needed a lower shaving angle so the WTG first pass was too steep.
Definitely a shaveable edge. No aftershave burn at all. Very, very close shave.
I think I still prefer my Universal shavette as the blade is incredibly well supported but its nice to able to hone these and they are a viable alternative.

Bought a universal , pretty impressed

FINNALY DID MY SEXTO WESTERN SHAVE ...

Was equalivent to a 3/8 -4/8 razor ... Where only a half inch the surface area , shaves.... Probably preferred buy if they made personnas that way , definitely twice as thick .....

Like using a 4/8 little surface area

Top Bottom