What's new

Several Vintage Razors Calling My Name. What do I do?

This is my first time starting a thread so I hope I do B&B justice...

Here we go:

I have been shaving with a safety razor for about 4 years now. I started out with an EJ DE89 and loved the craftsmanship. About 2 months ago I decided to give vintage razors a whirl... and boy what a whirlwind it has been. My first vintage acquisition was a Leresche #51 (I know a bit luxurious for my first purchase but I wanted to indulge myself to try to stave off any RAD that might creep in if I were to have bought a more common razor).

Needless to say, it did not work... :a52:

As it currently stands, I have 10 razors with 2 on the way and 1 in negotiations. :blushing: They are: Eclipse Red Ring (Model MM I believe), Gillette Aristocrat #16, Gillette Goodwill #164, Gillette Ball End LC, Leresche #51, 46-47 Gillette Aristocrat, Apollo Mikron Adjustable, Gold Hoffritz Slant, 1963 I-1 Slim Adjustable, EJ DE89. I have a 1955 A-3 Red Tip on the way and another Aristocrat #16. Since I can only add 5 pictures, below are my top 5 prized razors:

$Red Ring.jpg$Aristocrat 16.jpg$Leresche 51.jpg$apollo mikron adjustable.jpg$Hoffritz Slant.jpg

Now to my dilemma: Concurrently during my bout with RAD, I have started on the journey to a Yeard or at least a 6 month beard. I am 2 months in and loving it but every time I look at my razors or purchase a new one, I get that itch (not from the beard :lol:) to test one of these babies out. I will certainly use them once this beard experiment is over but I didn't expect it to be this tough. Even my wife is starting to get on my case about these razors. Her go to line is, "why do you keep buying so many razors if you aren't even shaving???" I can only fight the go fight for so long.

What do you guys suggest? Thanks.

This is my first time starting a thread so I hope I do B&B justice...

Here we go:

I have been shaving with a safety razor for about 4 years now. I started out with an EJ DE89 and loved the craftsmanship. About 2 months ago I decided to give vintage razors a whirl... and boy what a whirlwind it has been. My first vintage acquisition was a Leresche #51 (I know a bit luxurious for my first purchase but I wanted to indulge myself to try to stave off any RAD that might creep in if I were to have bought a more common razor).

Needless to say, it did not work... :a52:

As it currently stands, I have 10 razors with 2 on the way and 1 in negotiations. :blushing: They are: Eclipse Red Ring (Model MM I believe), Gillette Aristocrat #16, Gillette Goodwill #164, Gillette Ball End LC, Leresche #51, 46-47 Gillette Aristocrat, Apollo Mikron Adjustable, Gold Hoffritz Slant, 1963 I-1 Slim Adjustable, EJ DE89. I have a 1955 A-3 Red Tip on the way and another Aristocrat #16. Since I can only add 5 pictures, below are my top 5 prized razors:

View attachment 681638View attachment 681639View attachment 681642View attachment 681643View attachment 681644

Now to my dilemma: Concurrently during my bout with RAD, I have started on the journey to a Yeard or at least a 6 month beard. I am 2 months in and loving it but every time I look at my razors or purchase a new one, I get that itch (not from the beard :lol:) to test one of these babies out. I will certainly use them once this beard experiment is over but I didn't expect it to be this tough. Even my wife is starting to get on my case about these razors. Her go to line is, "why do you keep buying so many razors if you aren't even shaving???" I can only fight the go fight for so long.

What do you guys suggest? Thanks.
I suggest you ship them off to me so you will not be tempted.

Silly question. You must buy them all. That is the only option for any self-respecting, RAD suffering B&B member. Enjoy.

No way I could grow a beard -- I like shaving too much. My suggestion is to stop buying and start trading for new-to-you razors that you want. No way your wife can complain about that.

Or ask her how many purses, shoes, lipsticks, etc. she has. My wife like to collect fountain pens. So I've always got that to use.

Great collection. Always wanted a Red Ring but they are a combination of impossible to find or priced through the roof when they do show up.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have a goatee that I keep and get the best of both worlds. Nice razors, now get to shaving.

I also have a goatee, and I don't get into much trouble when I purchase new shave stuff. Wife likes the facial hair, but not a full beard, and I like to shave, good compromise

Top Bottom