What's new

Settling down with a Rusky shave

New member here. Started two months ago. Reading here has been very helpfull.
After buying and trying razors, soaps and blades I read about here, I decided it was time to restart my voyage and approaching things in a more methodical way. Reaon: a disappointing shave with my DLC Yaqi, a Bic blade and first use of Plague Doctor soap. I thought it could be the soap, because the Yaqi and Bic performed very good on previous shaves.
It took me two days to decide and choose between 8 razors, 7 blades and 5 soaps I purchased after reading your suggestions and reviews.

Today I decided to start with the Rapira razor with the Rapira SS and the Fine Snakebite soap. This soap has giving me a nice to great shave, every time, head and beard.
I had not used the Rapiras before. My first shave has been satisfactory, slightly above average. The blade and razor pulled a bit, but no irritation or other skin damage. I rate this shave 7 on a scale to 10.

Looking forward to more tips and advise 👍🏽

Welcome to B&B. A great place to learn.
As you may have figured out there are definitely rabbit holes that can be both fun and dangerous to explore
tenor.gif

Welcome! This is a fun pastime that turns a mundane daily task into a pleasurable daily experience. You've identified that variables affect the quality of your shave. Quite right! Especially for newcomers who are trying to develop consistent proper technique. Some wise members told me years ago to do a Fixed 4 for 4 weeks to help me in my journey. That means use the same razor, brand of blade, brush, & soap for a month so I could focus on learning blade angle & using zero pressure of the razor pressed against my face. As hard as that was for me (because I wanted to try all this new stuff), it really helped me identify how to get a good shave. Once I had a basic understanding of how to shave, I could switch out my razor & within a few shaves be able to get a good shave. May I suggest, sir, that you try a Fixed 4 for 4 weeks?

Welcome! This is a fun pastime that turns a mundane daily task into a pleasurable daily experience. You've identified that variables affect the quality of your shave. Quite right! Especially for newcomers who are trying to develop consistent proper technique. Some wise members told me years ago to do a Fixed 4 for 4 weeks to help me in my journey. That means use the same razor, brand of blade, brush, & soap for a month so I could focus on learning blade angle & using zero pressure of the razor pressed against my face. As hard as that was for me (because I wanted to try all this new stuff), it really helped me identify how to get a good shave. Once I had a basic understanding of how to shave, I could switch out my razor & within a few shaves be able to get a good shave. May I suggest, sir, that you try a Fixed 4 for 4 weeks?
You may indeed, though it wil not be the Rapiras. After a few hours I develloped some small bumps on the back of my head. Never happened before. There was some kind of slush in the razor too when I cleaned it tonight.
So I'll do as you suggest with the Yaqi, a Voshkod blade and the Fine Snakebite soap. These three I know best and have been good for me. Thanks for the advice.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You may indeed, though it wil not be the Rapiras. After a few hours I develloped some small bumps on the back of my head. Never happened before. There was some kind of slush in the razor too when I cleaned it tonight.
So I'll do as you suggest with the Yaqi, a Voshkod blade and the Fine Snakebite soap. These three I know best and have been good for me. Thanks for the advice.
The Voskhod surprised me with how well it worked on my incredibly handsome face!

@FarmerTan

To be honest, I thought: "Russian blades, these can't be good", but more experienced shavers said they are and I must admit I was wrong. Voshkod seems both sharp and smooth. I guess many newbs are surprised at first concerning Russian blades.

Welcome! I started years ago and quit because the kit I got was awful and I didn’t take the time to research how to make the situation better. This year, years later, I tried the razor again but a different blade and a real brush (the old one is absolutely terrible) and had a good shave. Not great but good enough that it made me want to keep trying. Then I did what you’ve done and bought a bunch of stuff and spun my wheels for a while. Fortunately, I found B&B and have learned a ton from the generous folks who frequent this site. My shaves have improved greatly and shaving is a pleasure, one I look forward to.

Thank you very much. I feel like a kid in a candyshop. So much to discover....
Ha! You’re telling me. I’m up over 20 razors, dozens of blades, and a decent collection of soap samples. Be careful with inexpensive vintage gear. It’s so hard to pass up a $15 treasure. And then I discovered single edge razors. There’s no end of things to discover.

@FarmerTan

To be honest, I thought: "Russian blades, these can't be good", but more experienced shavers said they are and I must admit I was wrong. Voshkod seems both sharp and smooth. I guess many newbs are surprised at first concerning Russian blades.
It is a little odd to buy a consumer good from Russia (as an American at least) but many blades are made there. Almost all the Gillette blades are Russian-made for instance.

Welcome! I started years ago and quit because the kit I got was awful and I didn’t take the time to research how to make the situation better. This year, years later, I tried the razor again but a different blade and a real brush (the old one is absolutely terrible) and had a good shave. Not great but good enough that it made me want to keep trying. Then I did what you’ve done and bought a bunch of stuff and spun my wheels for a while. Fortunately, I found B&B and have learned a ton from the generous folks who frequent this site. My shaves have improved greatly and shaving is a pleasure, one I look forward to.

Ha! You’re telling me. I’m up over 20 razors, dozens of blades, and a decent collection of soap samples. Be careful with inexpensive vintage gear. It’s so hard to pass up a $15 treasure. And then I discovered single edge razors. There’s no end of things to discover.

It is a little odd to buy a consumer good from Russia (as an American at least) but many blades are made there. Almost all the Gillette blades are Russian-made for instance.
I noticed I've had very few nicks and bleeders on my beard shaves, no matter what I used, the headshaves have been more of a challenge. Some combinations of blades, razor and soaps give irritation in my neck, especially if they are not sharp enough (esp closed combes) to give a close shave after 3 strokes max. So those combinations might be good enough for the beard, I am forced to use pretty agressive combinations to achieve a sufficient enough close shave. Thus giving me some nicks often and an occasional bleeder. My conclusion is that I need to improve my technique using a sharp combination of razor and blade, with a soap of the highest quality.
On this search I enjoy every shave, it is really therapeutic or meditational for me. Love this 'hobby'.
Thanks, all, for your input. Much appreciated 👍🏽

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
@FarmerTan

Welcome aboard! Enjoy the journey especially trying new products. It does make a grooming event very pleasurable.
Russian blades are indeed excellent and they have the added benefit of having a built in listening device so the kgb can also monitor your shave. 🤣😂😅
Slush in your razor? Hey what’s up with that? 🥺

@Rhody

Thank you. I never, ever thought I would enjoy shaving so much.
As for the KGB: since I use US and Chinese products too, maybe they'll all start DE shaving after finding out how enjoyable it is 👻
The slush thing: it looked nasty. Combination of soap and hair, turned brownish.
Have not seen this in any other razor 🥴

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
@Rhody

Thank you. I never, ever thought I would enjoy shaving so much.
As for the KGB: since I use US and Chinese products too, maybe they'll all start DE shaving after finding out how enjoyable it is 👻
The slush thing: it looked nasty. Combination of soap and hair, turned brownish.
Have not seen this in any other razor 🥴
Tour the world for sure!
Slush. Oh man that sounds horrible. In addition to the kgb you might need the hazmat unit! There are several threads on shave routine and razor cleaning. Some folks remove the blade after each shave or dip in alcohol. I don’t go that far but a through rising in very hot water might help.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
If I may be so bold, having never tried a Rapira Razor (so not an experience comment), I cannot find a decent review of it. Anywhere. That speaks volumes to me because it means you are using a razor almost nobody else uses because it is not talked about. It looks like a "toy" razor to me from the photos of it I can find.

I think your Rapira blade is probably fine, based on reviews here, but you might up your razor game. You don't have to spend a lot of money. But get a real razor, and your experience may get much better.

I'm not saying an $8 (USD) razor can't work. But it's not the way I'd bet.

If I may be so bold, having never tried a Rapira Razor (so not an experience comment), I cannot find a decent review of it. Anywhere. That speaks volumes to me because it means you are using a razor almost nobody else uses because it is not talked about. It looks like a "toy" razor to me from the photos of it I can find.

I think your Rapira blade is probably fine, based on reviews here, but you might up your razor game. You don't have to spend a lot of money. But get a real razor, and your experience may get much better.

I'm not saying an $8 (USD) razor can't work. But it's not the way I'd bet.
Thank you, JC. I have some other razors, the Rapira is gathering dust in the bottom drawer already 👍🏽

Tour the world for sure!
Slush. Oh man that sounds horrible. In addition to the kgb you might need the hazmat unit! There are several threads on shave routine and razor cleaning. Some folks remove the blade after each shave or dip in alcohol. I don’t go that far but a through rising in very hot water might help.
I blame the slush on the razor, because it never happened with my others.
All water under the bridge now, I will not be using it again.

Top Bottom