What's new

Settled on a brush now looking for the best price.

So I've decided to get a PJ2 in super/silvertip (I'm assuming these are the same). I've heard Lee has the best prices (he told me 155 delievered). Em's place costs about the same. Anyone know another place to get this brush at a slightly better price?

Thanks,

John

I recently purchased a Simpson from Lee, he had a better price than any of the vendors I checked with. He was very nice to deal with as well.

jbasl said:
So I've decided to get a PJ2 in super/silvertip (I'm assuming these are the same). I've heard Lee has the best prices (he told me 155 delievered). Em's place costs about the same. Anyone know another place to get this brush at a slightly better price?

Thanks,

John

John,

Just curious about the PJ2 decision, why you chose the super over the best. I know there is a myriad of opinions about the difference between the two. I just read some threads concerning the PJ2 and may be interested in trying one for myself. Some say the 'best' actually has a 'softer' feel than the 'super.' I was hoping someone could clarify and elaborate on this as well as possibly compare the PJ2 in both 'best' and 'super' to ShaveMac Silvertip and/or Savile Row Silvertip.

I currently have a ShaveMac 22579 Silvertip 23mm and a Savile Row 3120 Silvertip 20mm and really like both of them, but just thought from all the posts about the PJ2 it might be an interesting brush to add to my rotation. I really love the feel of both the ShaveMac and the Savile Row on my face. I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just trying to get a little more info and hopefully find the best price as well. Sharing your decision making process would certainly be a big help. Thank you!

At one point I had a Duke #2 in best. I ended up selling it since I hated the small handle. Now I have a PJ3 super which I am lukewarm on. In my small sampling of Simpsons brushes, I found that the best was actually softer. I find my PJ3 very scrubby. Of course, others will chime in.

S

Sam

Scotto: I had a Chubby 2 in best that I found to be prickly compared to my Shavemacs. I also had a PJ1 in best that was prickly. While they are very well built, I am not a fan of Simpsons. With SIlver/Super, one runs the risk of a scratchy bristle. I have not had a problem with any of the Shavemacs, but the smaller size I sold was just a matter of personal preference

S

Sam

Scotto, I agree that the Tulip and the Milk Churn are unique handles. But if I got a bristle that was like the one I had in Chubby 2, Id not use the brush.

Sam

S

Sam

Well, I have it down to three brushes to acquire: A Rooney of some sort, probably size Medium (24mm knot); a Plisson HMW Size 14 or 16, and then a custommade Shavemac with a 25mm knot, dense and having the same characteristics as the XXL Shavemac, and then some customtype of handle, probably in tortoise.

Sorry it took so long to reply.

About my choice. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of brushes for comparison and I'm not the type to get SBAD. I know I wanted something bigger but to pick a brush I decided to ask and research on here and then choose. While this doesn't guarantee that I'll get the best brush for me, in my state of limited epistemic access this was the best route for me to go. I have changed my mind however and decided to remain inside my original budget. I'm going to order a shavemac silvertip (Large). I'll post a review when I get it (probably a couple of weeks).

Thanks for all the advice guys,

John

jbasl said:
Sorry it took so long to reply.

About my choice. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of brushes for comparison and I'm not the type to get SBAD. I know I wanted something bigger but to pick a brush I decided to ask and research on here and then choose. While this doesn't guarantee that I'll get the best brush for me, in my state of limited epistemic access this was the best route for me to go. I have changed my mind however and decided to remain inside my original budget. I'm going to order a shavemac silvertip (Large). I'll post a review when I get it (probably a couple of weeks).

Thanks for all the advice guys,

John

Look forward to hearing your feedback on the SMac. My SMac 23mm Silver is still my favorite 'go to' brush at this time. Congratulations on picking a winner! :biggrin:

Top Bottom