What's new

Settings and Blade reccomendations for 1st time adjustable user?

I'm expecting a Fatboy adjustable in the mail in the next couple of days, and am looking for suggestions as to how to test it out. I'll be traveling for a week or two during the holidays, and I'm debating taking it as my only razor for the trip.

I've been playing around with safety razors for a couple months, and have shaved with a decent number of types, ranging from Gillette comb guards to TTO's like Superspeeds and the Lady's model, as well as a variety of Injector models. So, I'm pretty confident that I can throw a blade in and use the razor, but I'm very open to suggestions.

I currently have a wide selection of blades on hand, or on order: Derby, 7AM, Sharp, Merkur, Feather, TESCO, US Persona, and Russian Gillette. Any suggestions as to which blades to take?

Any suggestions as to what settings on the razor to use? I've heard to shave WTG with a higher setting such as 4 or 5 and then dial back for ATG passes? Does the setting on an adjustable correlate to various non-adjustable models, like 2=Tech and 4 =Superspeed?

For me the 5 or 6 setting relates to how the HD shaves. Anything less than a 4 did not do it for me. and the 4 just barely started to really shave.

I've experience in the Feather, Derby, and Merkur blades only. I've found that the Merkur is the most consistent and reliable performer and is a little forgiving. The Feather is also consistent and reliable but does not forgive any sloppy technique. The Derby is a great cheap blade, but I've had one or two poor ones.

Why not load a couple of each of your favourite blades in a fresh plastic box (the Merkur or Feather box will hold ten blades and has the little slot for discarded ones too) and then you can experiment to your heart's content whilst on holiday?

Top Bottom