Setting the Bevel with the Burr Method

Discussion in 'Hones/Honing' started by Slash McCoy, Apr 1, 2017.

Your graphics are always outstanding, Jim . :a14:

1. Egads,

You guys are killing me. I just wanted to see if I could shave with my Grandpa's Real Old English Razor and started honing away on a cheap combo stone I got at the local asian market for $6 about a year ago. Just every now and then. Then I used another cheap Sharp Pebble 400/1000 combo stone that I got for my wood-shop planes. Of course I also used green polishing compound and got it to cut forearm hair.

Of course, all this was before I decided to fall down the DE rabbit hole January of this year. I didn't realize that until I joined B&B in February and started buying vintage Gillette DE razors.

Some 18 DE razors later, I thought to myself, "Hey, why not get a few vintage straight razors and a Norton 4000/8000 combo stone?"..............
    20190705_181931.jpg 20190811_075944.jpg
    to be continued...........

prof

P.S. any idea's on a 12k-16k finishing stone?

2. MO1

MO1

I would recommend a natural finisher. They are for the most time cheaper than synthetic finishers and leave a better edge imo.
    A black ark is a really nice and consistent finisher, and cheap compared to the finish it gives, outperforms any synthetic imo(just make sure you have the surface smooth and burnished)
    Then there are coticules(can be very nice but they vary ALOT in their capability to finish the edge)
    Thuringians, German water hone, haven't tried one but these stones are expensive since they are not being mined anymore.
    Then we have the jnat hole, all sort of Japanese natural stones. I repaired a kitchen knife today with a "medium jnat" it's called a medium stone but it raises a burr faster than my shapton glass 500. Then I went to a softer jnat finishing pocket stone to refine it, then moved on to a very hard bench sized jnat to give it a hazed mirror polish.
    Cutting speed is based on the type of slurry you use and what stone you pair it with, or if you work up a slurry from the base stone.
    Jnats are a very fun part of honing and can be very rewarding but also frustrating sometimes.