What's new

Setting a knot in a hollow handle?

Hey guys, so I'm in the middle of my first restore. I have an Ever-Ready 100T that I got the old knot out of, and ordered a 20mm TGN Fan XH knot which arrived today.

My question is, since the inside is hollow, how do I go about setting the knot. The knot is 70mm tall, and I want a 46mm loft. So I was thinking about filling the handle with silicone, letting it dry for 24 hours, and then placing some epoxy on the silicone where the knot should go.

Does this all sound like a good method or is there a better one? Also, is epoxy the best route to use, or should I set the knot in the silicone while it is still wet, or use superglue, or what?

Thanks so much for your help!

I filled one with silicone, and one with an epoxy, actually some old jb weld I had. My take is the epoxy products are easier, if you do not get the level quite rite you can grind a bit off, plus with the surface roughed up additional epoxy will stick better to itself than to silicone.

The one I did with silicone, I immediately set the knot. The whole process with the silicone, although quicker was messier. I think I shall stick with epoxy in the future.

You can always mix some bird shot, bb's or sawdust into epoxy as a filler/ expander.

plaster of paris works fine as a filler.yes use two part epoxy,any type works.

So silicone is close enough as a filler? I thought it would be good because it adds weight, but not too much. And I got the water-proof, mold/mildew resistant variety. I figured it would work fairly well

Do I have to worry about such a large empty space in the handle? Is there anyway to manage the problem?

on the hollow handles I have done I shot the epoxy in and stirred it with a skewer, and then tapped it on a table to settle the epoxy and level it. I also filled it in two steps because I didn't know how much heat the epoxy put off when setting up.

on the hollow handles I have done I shot the epoxy in and stirred it with a skewer, and then tapped it on a table to settle the epoxy and level it. I also filled it in two steps because I didn't know how much heat the epoxy put off when setting up.

I mixed mine outside the handle, that way I could make sure it was properly and completely mixed. Heat was not a problem. Right after mixing you can use a heat gun or hair dryer on low heat to warm. It will thin the epoxy and help it level quicker and easier.

I've filled with 2 part epoxy, let dry, then set the knot with a touch more.

I have also dropped a cork in, filled with epoxy, let set, then set the knot.

Your first method sounds fine.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate the help!

I'm thinking I'll just put some silicone in it, and let that harden. Then I will place a thin layer of epoxy on top to minimize the amount of epoxy I need to use, as well as to serve as a "platform" for the knot. I'll plunk the knot down in the epoxy layer while it is still wet. My only concern is that there will be a lot of empty space in the handle. If I set it down 24mm, that means there will be 24mm of empty space between the handle and knot. I thought silicone would be good as a filler because it is mold resistant and doesn't crack. I suppose epoxy is too, but thats a lot of epoxy to stick in a handle.

So other than taking longer to dry, is there anything I need to be concerted about with having that empty space?

Brushes that are filled or solid in the handle tend to feel like a sturdier aor more quality brush. Ilike the feel of a brush that has the handle filled with something be it a cork or some change or metal washers and then epoxied over than a hollow handle. Again its just preference though.

But since the handle is hollow, it seems there would be no way to fill it completely and the put the knot it. I suppose you could fill the handle completely and then drill a hole for the knot, but that sounds like a huge hassle to drill through all that epoxy

I just fill them to about halfway with a filler and then the epoxy i am setting the knot with for the rest. If you would like Nick I can take care of this project for you.

I just fill them to about halfway with a filler and then the epoxy i am setting the knot with for the rest. If you would like Nick I can take care of this project for you.

Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. But doing it is part of the fun, even if its a hassle at times :)

So after you fill halfway with filler, then you fill the entire rest of the handle with epoxy and just "smush" the knot down in it?

While I haven’t restored a hollow handle before I have been thinking about how I would go about it when I do.

My worry about wood filler or plaster is that over time water would work it way down and cause it to expand and split the handle.
Cork would work but wouldn't fill all of the voids, if water works its way down it would mold.
So, in my mind filling it to the top with epoxy or fiberglass resin would be best. Then drilling out the proper hole.

I drop the knot in the hole and make a visual reference of the loft I want and where the base of the knot will be in the handle. Then I take the knot out and fill the hole to just below that point with my filler. After that I mix my epoxy in the hole because it is least least mess making sure the epoxy is not higher than the line for where the bottom of my knot will rest. Once the epoxy is mixed and has settled to the correct level I put the knot in careful not to push so hard as to have the epoxy creep up the side of the knot and out the handle. I then keep a feel of the brush and if I feel the epoxy is too hot I sit the brush in a bowl of cold water standing upright with a water level below the rim of the handle until the reaction is complete. If it was 5 minute epoxy I can now shave with it.

That all makes sense, but that means that you do have some empty space around the knot in the handle correct? And that hasn't yet posed a problem for you? (in terms of mold, knot longevity, etc..)

Top Bottom