What's new

Set of a shaver's mind: cut stubble vs don't cut yourself, and things in-between

YouTube channel hibudgl100's video "Straight razor shaving SCYTHING MOTION" shows him to be so totally comfortable in handling the razor and so efficient (and hence fast) in shaving that it gives me the impression that he has been playing with razors since he was five or so. In shaving, his concern -- the set of his mind -- appears to be to clear away the stubble and get on with his life. Most other videos I have seen on shaving with the straight leave me with the impression that the shaver's primary concern -- the set of his mind -- is to not cut himself while wielding the razor.

Over the course of 100 shaves or so with a straight razor, you develop muscle memory that allows you to shave without really thinking about it. When you are new, you are afraid of cutting yourself, so strokes are tentative. After a while, nicks and even minor weepers become rare. At that point, having a sharp edge against your throat does not cause even the slightest concern. I still have to pay attention when shaving around my mustache, lips and chin, but otherwise it is very natural.

I have recently completed 110 triple pass shaves and shave in about 15 minutes including stropping and post shave. Now I do it before going to work and feel less likely to nick than with a DE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have recently completed 110 triple pass shaves and shave in about 15 minutes including stropping and post shave. Now I do it before going to work and feel less likely to nick than with a DE.

Scott
I agree with your comment about straight vs DE. I have some areas of my face that are difficult to get BBS using only a straight, so I often use a DE for the final cleanup pass. If I get a nick or weeper, it will almost certainly be with the DE rather than the straight.

Scott
I agree with your comment about straight vs DE. I have some areas of my face that are difficult to get BBS using only a straight, so I often use a DE for the final cleanup pass. If I get a nick or weeper, it will almost certainly be with the DE rather than the straight.

Yes, I get almost BBS, except for the submandibular triangle, but I’m getting really closer now. I shave XTG there along with the mandibles on my first two passes. On my second pass, I’m XTG on the cheeks. On my second and third pass I shave S-N on my neck and submandibular triangle.

I’m thinking I might need to hone a wee bit more. I don’t know whether I’ve been stropping too long without touching up on the stone, or whether the edge isn’t quite there. My skills are at a level where I can discern such things a lot better now.

I've always used a Type E Schick for sideburn setting and nostril area. Recently I've only gone ATG after two passes. I figure less to cut and it's worked well in my favor. I do think returning to 200k diamond to have turned several of my SR razors into what I've experienced using a Feather SS and GEM MMOC.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Over the course of 100 shaves or so with a straight razor, you develop muscle memory that allows you to shave without really thinking about it. When you are new, you are afraid of cutting yourself, so strokes are tentative. After a while, nicks and even minor weepers become rare. At that point, having a sharp edge against your throat does not cause even the slightest concern. I still have to pay attention when shaving around my mustache, lips and chin, but otherwise it is very natural.
+1

YouTube channel hibudgl100's video "Straight razor shaving SCYTHING MOTION" shows him to be so totally comfortable in handling the razor and so efficient (and hence fast) in shaving that it gives me the impression that he has been playing with razors since he was five or so. In shaving, his concern -- the set of his mind -- appears to be to clear away the stubble and get on with his life. Most other videos I have seen on shaving with the straight leave me with the impression that the shaver's primary concern -- the set of his mind -- is to not cut himself while wielding the razor.
I have not seen those videos, but some men (depends on the individual) keep their blades at a level of sharpness where it is easy to cut the beard but more difficult to induce weepers (relative to using a DE blade).

But I think a twin mindset of clearing stubble while also not cutting yourself is helpful while learning. Especially when using a very sharp blade like a shavette. Just set a goal of obtaining a socially acceptable shave (which includes not drawing blood) and soon the shave will improve without giving it much thought.

Most of the time I do only two passes to get BBS in about 5 minutes.
This includes stropping ,latherring and cleaning up everything.
It's like brushing your teeth.
I shave almost everyday.

I have not seen those videos, but some men (depends on the individual) keep their blades at a level of sharpness where it is easy to cut the beard but more difficult to induce weepers (relative to using a DE blade).

But I think a twin mindset of clearing stubble while also not cutting yourself is helpful while learning. Especially when using a very sharp blade like a shavette. Just set a goal of obtaining a socially acceptable shave (which includes not drawing blood) and soon the shave will improve without giving it much thought.

A culinary chef always prefers a sharp knife as a sharp knife cuts without requiring excessive pressure, so there is less risk of cutting yourself. The same principle applies with razors (straight, shavette, DE, SE). If the blade is sharp enough for your beard, you can shave with minimal pressure which produces fewer nicks and cuts and less irritation.

With a shavette, the sharpness depends upon the blade you use in the razor. Although I seldom use it, I have a shavette that uses a half blade. When using a Derby Professional blade in the razor, the razor has difficulty cutting my beard. However, with a PermaSharp Super blade in the shavette, it cuts quite easily.

But there are different finishes that different straight razor shavers like to use. Witnessed by all the different finishing stones, pastes, and honing techniques that people discuss here. Many go for ultimate sharpness, others like theirs a bit smoother and less harsh.

Top Bottom