What's new

SE's added to the Den

I never developed any real interest in the SE world (I know, sorry all.. lol). I fell in love with the DE, and then the straights. While my parents were cleaning out some of the closets from the family estate, they scored some serious heirloom action for me... 2 straights, which I've restored, and like 5 DE's (2 Slims, 2 40's Super Speeds, Old Type OC), and one SE. The SE just went into storage with some of the other things I never really used, and I didn't even look into it any further. This was about a year or so ago.

The other day a co-worker overheard a convo I was having about DE's and straight razors and such, said he had an old razor sitting around that had come in some lot of other stuff he'd wanted at a flea market or estate sale or such. I told him to bring it in, and I could maybe help ID it for him so he at least knew what he had. He shows up today, hands me a box, sorta beat up with a ripped up and dried out cover, but still pretty solid feeling construction wise, and I immediately recognize the Gem logo on the button snap. Turns out it's a Gem Damaskeene, in box, but missing the blade holder. Still has a used vintage blade in it. The top cover had come off the razor, but other wise it's in good user grade condition. The co-worker is like "Here, take it, all yours...". lol Within a minute or so I got the top cover snapped back in place, it hold closed still as it should, back into perfect working order. lol

I jump into the SE forum and check out some links and threads, and as best I can tell it dates from before the 1919 Gem changeover to Gem Safety Razors, and doesn't have the bevel on the top cover plate that some of the 1918-1919 models had. I also ID'd the other SE, the heirloom one, as a Gem Featherweight, with the white plastic handle. It's also in really good shape and usable.

I guess someday I need to track down some good SE blades at this point and give these guys a spin, since fate seems to be telling me I have to try an SE shave at some point. lol

Post some pics when you get the chance.

As to blades... You might want to see if there are any PTFE coated SE blades at the blade exchange.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/362918-The-Great-Blade-Exchange

If you find you like them, they are sold in 100 count cartons

Thanks, I checked the current list, and it doesn't appear like there are any SE blades, but I PM'd Toothpick to be 100% sure. If there aren't any, I'll get around to posting a WTT on the BST at some point. lol

Pics can happen tonight after I get home and pull out the Featherweight.

Putting the Damaskeene top plate back on is trickier than it looks. The spring loaded tab must stick up through the opening in the top plate. Otherwise the blade won't load. I find a jeweler's screwdriver to be the perfect tool for holding the tab vertically while snapping the tiny side buttons into place in the holes in the cap.

Putting the Damaskeene top plate back on is trickier than it looks. The spring loaded tab must stick up through the opening in the top plate. Otherwise the blade won't load. I find a jeweler's screwdriver to be the perfect tool for holding the tab vertically while snapping the tiny side buttons into place in the holes in the cap.

Yeah, I noticed that part when I was fiddling with it. I managed to do it with a bent paperclip.

I buy my blades from Connaught (ptfe coated GEMs). Vintage Blades sells them as well, but I like playing with the plastic cube storage and disposal cubes that you get at Connaught if you order ten at a time.

Pic as promised. I am getting a couple sample blades from the blade exchange to give these two guys a shave or two each.

proxy.php

Attachments

• $icon_spacer-vflN3BYt2.gif
    $icon_spacer-vflN3BYt2.gif
    55 bytes · Views: 60
I buy my blades from Connaught (ptfe coated GEMs).
i 2nd that, good price too.
In the meantime you can get a few from Amazon or wallgreens to get you started.
http://www.amazon.com/Gem-Personnal...ckages/dp/B001F0RC5K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/pe...-single-edge-razor-blades/ID=prod2041-product

I stopped buying from Ted Pella after i received a box completely smashed up, like a truck went over it. I send a whole lot of emails but never got an answer from them

Last edited:
Very nice! That looks like an open comb Damaskeene.
Get used to the single edge razors, and they'll be your go-to razors.
I shave with DEs when I run out of blades for the SEs.

Top Bottom