What's new

Seriously confused on (what's suppose to be) the TOP rated (DE) Safety Razor Blades. List your favorite TOP 3 blades please!

Hi all,

OK, I just read several pages of the " YOUR worst" Blade thread. I don't get it! Blades that I have "read" about that were suppose to be the Cat's Meow are receiving AWFUL comments. I just Googled "TOP favorite Blades" and the listings shown are diametrically opposed to what members here at B&B are (for the most part) saying.

Some (supposedly) TOP Blades according to Google search :

1. Astra Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades.
  2. Feather Double Edge Stainless Steel Blades. ...
  3. Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless. ...
  4. Merkur Double Edge Safety Razor Blades. ...
  5. Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades. ...
  6. Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Safety Razor Blades.
I find it interesting that many (if not all) the above listed Blades received the WORST comments (especially #4 & #5).
So, I have to ask myself.....it this due to Shaving technique ? Improper Face prep ? Wrong Razor for Blade ?
I admit I have not yet tried many Blades as I'm rather new (less than a year) to DE Wet Shaving. It was recommended early on that I try Red Personna Israeli Double Edge Razor Blades. On Faith, I purchased 100 Red Personna Israeli Double Edge Razor Blades and I have been VERY pleased with these Blades! Of course being a "hobbyist" I want to try some Blades from other Countries as well. I've only had one or two shaves using KAI and the Jury is still out. At any rate, I would LOVE to hear your TOP 3 choices for Blades. Thank You.

SixCats!

Ok Cats here's my you asked for it opinion. It's a dumb question or a crazy way to figure out what's best. For every blade produced there is someone for whom it is a favorite. That's why it's produced, right? Because I happen to use BIC and Treet blades does that in any way suggest you will like them, no it doesn't. Guys here go apoplectic about Polsilver production and I'm going say what??

There you go . I use mostly BIC and Treet Platinum so they must be the best . Or maybe just cheap and adequate. Lots of folks hate one or both of them.

Figure it out yourself. Friendly advice. You're a Boomer right? We don't need to ask the internet to order breakfast .

If you want me to send you a few BIC and/or Treet I'm happy to oblige.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1. Bic Chrome Platinum - my favorite in my open combs, epecially Old Types.

2. Wilkinson Sword Classic - seem to work best in my TTOs: Fat Boy, Slim, and Super Speed.

3. Gillette Yellows - have had good experience with them, but rarely use them as I have way too many of the numbers 1 and 2 mentioned above.

Hi all,

@jmudrick, Thank you Sir! Your comments/suggestions makes PERFECT sense! I should of thought of it myself :

1573700454436.png

I suppose it's like anything else....that is to say, for instance, I happen to LOVE Sushi where some others call it "bait". No doubt about it, we are all DIFFERENT. When it comes to shaving (Skin,Face,Beard, etc.) all different so, no one brand of Blades are going to be perfect for everybody. I can't tell you how many BAD reviews I read on TREET and BIC blades tonight. However (other times) I have read RAVE reviews on these very same Blades. I get it now! Thank you both Neil-0 and Gary for your suggestions. I very much enjoy shaving using my "Old Type" Razors so, I'll be sure to try one of the BIC blades I have yet to sample. Oooh, this will be fun!

Oooh, yes indeed jmud, I am a "Boomer" (sixty five this July 14th). Ugggh.

SixCats!

Hi all,

@jmudrick, Thank you Sir! Your comments/suggestions makes PERFECT sense! I should of thought of it myself :

View attachment 1034723

I suppose it's like anything else....that is to say, for instance, I happen to LOVE Sushi where some others call it "bait". No doubt about it, we are all DIFFERENT. When it comes to shaving (Skin,Face,Beard, etc.) all different so, no one brand of Blades are going to be perfect for everybody. I can't tell you how many BAD reviews I read on TREET and BIC blades tonight. However (other times) I have read RAVE reviews on these very same Blades. I get it now! Thank you both Neil-0 and Gary for your suggestions. I very much enjoy shaving using my "Old Type" Razors so, I'll be sure to try one of the BIC blades I have yet to sample. Oooh, this will be fun!

Oooh, yes indeed jmud, I am a "Boomer" (sixty five this July 14th). Ugggh.

SixCats!
PM me an address and I'll send you a few to try.

Initially I sought the BIC out based on sharpness testing and when I liked them attributed that to the sharpness....until I tried some not so sharp blades like Treet and found I liked them better than some other sharper blades like Nacets. So what did I learn? Sharpness is not everything and pay no attention to reviews, mine included.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Okay. Rankings/ratings by others are the opinions of others who are not ... you.

Shaving is very, very much a YMMV (your mileage may vary) feeling. The best razor blade is NOT science. There is no objectively, philosophically true best razor blade. Let alone for all the different types of razors out there (skin type, shave angle, blade exposure, blade gap, etc.)

Even outside shaving, it is invariably a very bad idea to chase down and grab what other other people like or value as if it's true for everyone (marketing companies want you to think otherwise). What matters? What you like. What's your favorite beer? Do you care if others don't like it? What's your favorite movie? Do you care if others don't like it? Fwiw, I love Grease 2. And I know it's a bad movie. I don't care. It pleases me in the way I want a movie/musical to do so. YMMV.

My point is simply that shaving is massively PERSONAL. Other people's opinions are guideposts, not truth. Feel free to travel your own path.

With that said, explore razor blades. Tryablade is a fantastic site to do so. Decide for yourself. It's your skin not mine.

Last edited:
I agree with what was said above. Blades are very interesting. I am fairly new to DE shaving so I set out to find my perfect blade. So far all I have found is a few I hate. But they are loved by many others. If you want to try to experiment I would buy some packs of blades from Maggard Razors. You can pick the ones that interest you. I made a whole set of only Gillette and a pack of Bic. So far I love the Platinum, Nacet, Wilkinson Sword China, Wilkinson sword Germany, 7o’clock green and yellow. I also like my MenSmell blades, and Ben Sherman blades. I don’t care for Shark, Derby, Gillette Silver Blue, or Baili. But you will be different so it will have to be your journey.

But since your post was three favs:
Gillette Wilkinson Sword China, Gillette Nacet, Gillette Platinum. For now.

It has to do more with prep & technique than with any given blade usually. After all, hair is just that......hair. We're not talking about shaving an adult gorilla after all. If a person has what they believe is a tougher beard then do a lengthier & more thorough prep. Assuming that every poster in any given shaving forum knows how to shave well is asking a lot to be frank and more often than not it is the case of the "Indian" and not the "arrow".

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blades are inexpensive. My advice is to try several sampler packs.

Try blades in different razors to see which blades match up best to which razors.

Experience breeds confidence in your own observations and preferences. Don't let anyone tell you that a combination of blade and razor that you like "can't possibly work".

Have fun and enjoy the journey. :)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Blades are about the most subjective thing here. My advice is to not worry about trying to find the “best” blade or “most popular” or “top rated”. It’s all completely individual opinion. And nothing else.

Grab a sample pack and try some blades and find one that works FOR YOU. Who cares what google ranks as the top 5 or what each of us here rank as the best. Just try some and note for yourself what you like.

BTW, Vintage Wilkinson Sword are the absolute most bestest blade ever. Period.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
You started another thread that will end up just confusing you as the others did. Blades are a top YMMV item in shaving. You must try some and reach your own conclusions. We only know how we like the blades, not how you will like them.

Don't ask a forum for...
Best "anything", unless you just want to go in circles.

You started another thread that will end up just confusing you as the others did. Blades are a top YMMV item in shaving. You must try some and reach your own conclusions. We only know how we like the blades, not how you will like them.

Don't ask a forum for...
Best "anything", unless you just want to go in circles.

Now that is good advice.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This place cracks me up. @SixCats! starts an interesting thread and we all tell him how to shave! Very few people just answered his request: list your favorite top 3 blades. He already knows that mileage varies.

I was lucky: a great gent that was on here at one time had a PIF that I won. Mr. @Highspeedlane. They were and still are the best overall DE blade I ever have used.
So, starting with them, here they go:

1) GSB

2) Astra SS

3) anything that doesn't have Derby or Dorco in it's name.

Top Bottom