What's new

Serious question ... I'm looking for reasons to NOT buy another razor

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Not yet. But between the DE's I have and the two injectors I just got, I may not feel the need for more razor experimentation. I have like 9 razors. I think that's enough for a while. People think so highly of the GEM around here, though, I may try it someday.

I’m pretty sure in the background there are DMs passing back and forth among the B&B brethren setting up an intervention! (I’m available to help

My Mom always told me when you get a crazy idea to just keep it to yourself.

Just kidding. Sounds like you’re in a happy spot with your razors.

Enabling mode activated: However, if you want to try a GEM razor let me know and I’ll send a razor or two your way with some PTFE blades so you can try without buying anything. You know just to be sure and all.

The hardware? Not so much. I'm done.
I guess it’s preference or whatever you enjoy using and collecting. I personally think software by and large is massively hyped and way overpriced. To me, it’s a means to an end. But the hardware, well, that’s where real magic happens. Does a soap somehow make you have better technique or challenge you in any way? Can you hold it in your hand and feel the weight of it, admire the craftsmanship? Nope. It’s just nice smelling suds you scrape off your face and rinse down the drain. But, I know I am in a tiny minority with that opinion so I’ll just go back to ogling razors I can’t afford. 😁

Not yet. But between the DE's I have and the two injectors I just got, I may not feel the need for more razor experimentation. I have like 9 razors. I think that's enough for a while. People think so highly of the GEM around here, though, I may try it someday.
I use injector blades in my Bullet Tip :a30:

I guess it’s preference or whatever you enjoy using and collecting. I personally think software by and large is massively hyped and way overpriced. To me, it’s a means to an end. But the hardware, well, that’s where real magic happens. Does a soap somehow make you have better technique or challenge you in any way? Can you hold it in your hand and feel the weight of it, admire the craftsmanship? Nope. It’s just nice smelling suds you scrape off your face and rinse down the drain. But, I know I am in a tiny minority with that opinion so I’ll just go back to ogling razors I can’t afford. 😁

As someone who loves shaving soaps, I have to disagree with you. Hardware is a marvel of mechanical design. Soaps are a marvel of chemistry and biology. Wonderful scents greatly add to the pleasure of the shave.

Why would you want either hardware or software to challenge you in any way? In my way of thinking, both hardware and software should be designed to minimize the challenges of shaving. Yes, technique is still important, but like the addition of four-wheel, power, antilock brakes on a car, good engineering should make things less challenging.

Why would you want either hardware or software to challenge you in any way? In my way of thinking, both hardware and software should be designed to minimize the challenges of shaving. Yes, technique is still important, but like the addition of four-wheel, power, antilock brakes on a car, good engineering should make things less challenging.
Great question! Challenge in the sense of getting a new piece of hardware and then needing to spend some time getting to know it and how to get the most out of it. I’m new to wet shaving so my opinion is likely to change at some point but again, I am not motivated to try many soaps because I have little interest in the fragrance component and I already feel like the basic stuff I have is sufficient. I don’t have issues getting a smooth shave using them so I just don’t see the point in spending the money on it. Ask me again someday soon and I may have completely changed my mind but for now hardware is where my interest lies.

Top Bottom