What's new
  • The Annual Sue Moore Auction is now running from 19 - 21 October. Every year proceeds from this auction and all monies raised go directly to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Please take a look at the items that are available this year, as there is sure to be something of interest to everyone!

Serious question ... I'm looking for reasons to NOT buy another razor

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
So I have an M type adjustable, and frankly I'm unsure which one, and I have a CanadianE4 Schick.

I'm happy as a clam and not interested in "collecting" a lot razors, not in the least.

Any reason to get another Schick injector because it will shave differently? I'm happy with the shave I get from these two. Again I'm looking for a different shave, not something to collect, just because. Thanks!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Short answer: nope! I've got A through O -- love them all, but honestly couldn't in good faith recommend one over the other, unless you love the hunt and feel like collecting. The only slight caveat is that the L takes a Japanese twin blade, but even with that distinction, I honestly think I'd stop if I were you....I don't see/feel a big diff between the various models. Oh wait, this is B&B....ummm, I mean buy them all and see for yourself....YMMV :laugh:

So I have an M type adjustable, and frankly I'm unsure which one, and I have a CanadianE4 Schick.

I'm happy as a clam and not interested in "collecting" a lot razors, not in the least.

Any reason to get another Schick injector because it will shave differently? I'm happy with the shave I get from these two. Again I'm looking for a different shave, not something to collect, just because. Thanks!
It seems to me you answered your own question... twice :cool:

I'm not judging you. In all honesty, it's a question I wish I had asked myself a few dozen razors ago.

Last edited:
Honestly, I have been at this for more than 10 years, and after trying more stuff than I care to admit, I am finally in a very happy place.

Very early on I was getting shaves that were way better than a cartridge and canned goop. I could have called myself a happy camper, and quit. But I didn't.

My shave has only within the past year reached a point where I have really stopped trying new stuff. And what I mean by that is I am set in terms of razor, blade, brush, pre-shave, etc. I try a new cream when I run out of the one I have.

And my purpose in telling this story is to say that if you keep trying new product you will almost certainly find something that improves your shave at least a bit. But it will come at the expense of many fruitless purchases, products that have have researched to death only to be disappointed by, much teeth-gnashing, wearing of sackcloth, and ups and downs.

All this said, my advice to you is to stick with what you like. If you want to explore a bit I have got a killer set up for you.

Sign up for a GRUME (every month) and then you will have another reason not to buy another razor, if not buying another razor is what you want a reason for.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thanks, @Flintstone65 . You are right. @Beefdrippings you are rapidly becoming one of my favorite members here. @CzechCzar could not have said it better myself.

I think between my E-type, the M (for nostalgia, I learned to shave on it), my Gillette Techs, Merkur 34C and DE89 on an Ikon handle, I think my razor searchings are over. I have a few favorite blades. I will focus on soaps and creams because they are ever new, no need to stop trying new stuff.

The hardware? Not so much. I'm done.

And @steveclarkus you are undoubtedly correct. If this sentiment takes hold, it is the beginning of the end for B&B! :lol:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks, @Flintstone65 . You are right. @Beefdrippings you are rapidly becoming one of my favorite members here. @CzechCzar could not have said it better myself.

I think between my E-type, the M (for nostalgia, I learned to shave on it), my Gillette Techs, Merkur 34C and DE89 on an Ikon handle, I think my razor searchings are over. I have a few favorite blades. I will focus on soaps and creams because they are ever new, no need to stop trying new stuff.

The hardware? Not so much. I'm done.

And @steveclarkus you are undoubtedly correct. If this sentiment takes hold, it is the beginning of the end for B&B! :lol:
Don’t worry, it would be a highly unlikely outcome.

The first razor I ever owned was a Schick Type L. Unfortunately, in my teen years, my acne was so bad that I could not shave with any razor. The only thing that did not rip my face apart was a Norelco rotary shaver. Over the years, the Schick SE razor was lost/tossed. After retirement, I decided to start shaving with traditional shaving gear including straight razors, DE razors and SE razors. One of the razors I added to my collection was a NOS Schick Type L. The razor came with some vintage Schick injector and dual injector blades. However, they were not sharp enough for my liking. I purchased some of the Chinese Schick injector blades. They were much more to my liking.

Although I could shave with nothing other than the Schick Type L equipped with the Chick blades, I like to alter between razors in my collection. Sometimes I will use multiple razors in a single shave.

Are you sure that this is the place to ask that question? ;) 🤣

So I have an M type adjustable, and frankly I'm unsure which one, and I have a CanadianE4 Schick. I'm happy as a clam and not interested in "collecting" a lot razors, not in the least. Any reason to get another Schick injector because it will shave differently? I'm happy with the shave I get from these two.

blasphemer.jpg

Seriously though, if you're happy with the selection of razors you already have, then stop dancing around the rabbit hole.

rabbit hole.jpg

Top Bottom