What's new

Serious question about DE shaving...

My DE shaving adventure started in earnest in August of 2016. I knew that there would be a learning curve, but after a year I'm left bewildered.

A few years ago I picked up the Black Wilkinson Sword Classic and well, we just won't talk about that.

In August of 2016 I started with my EJ, and while I knew it would take some time, I just couldn't make it work. I watched all the videos, did beard mapping, tried different designer soaps, as well as my old stand by Nivea, but it just kept getting worse. The shaves were terribly uncomfortable, took little to nothing off, and caused irritation, blood, and bad breakouts. The breakouts got so bad I had to to the doctor, and he was visibly shocked by the damage. The EJ would just rip and tug and downright hurt, even with a Feather.

I've quit and come back to it several times with this razor, but it just kept getting worse, and each time the damage would take longer to heal. Is DE shaving just not for me, or could something have been wrong with my EJ?

I read people singing praises about DE shaving, while I'm left wondering what all the fuss is about. I even remember my grandfather saying how great his old Gillette was (which I have but no amount of cleaning seems to get the scum off of it).

Has anyone else had bad DE experiences and given up on it, or could something have been wrong?

On a side note, I have a Feather Popular on order that should be here tomorrow. I figured for $19 Canadian I might as well try it and see.

I'm wondering if your issue is with the proper blade angle to your face. When I hear that you are both ripping up your face yet unable to remove hair, those two appear to be incongruous. You are using a feather. Very sharp blade that should cut hair easily. I'm thinking maybe try a more mild blade like Gillette Silver Blue. But you need to focus on angle nd zero pressure. You should not press the razor against your face. Let the weight of the razor do the work. I'm sure you've heard all of this before but sometimes reinforcement can help. Good luck. Hoping you can tame the beast.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What blades have you tried? What's your preparation for shaving? Do you use an alum block? Witch hazel? Moisturizer?

There are a lot of variables. I'm very new to this, and several people have been generous in helping me understand how to improve my shaves. It is an adventure. You might enjoy reading about some of the things I've tried, and some of the advice I've gotten.

Blades are very important, but hard to figure out, so my adventure has been rich in trial and error. Fortunately, I found a good razor immediately, and a good brush, and a good shaving soap; all of these are important.

The number one thing to learn is this: No pressure. Do not press the razor into your skin. Let the razor glide across the surface, a surface which is not indented by the razor.

I assume everybody is like me, and spends countless hours studying all there is to learn on B&B. This is a very rich resource.

Everybody will want to help you, but please answer the questions I asked so folks know more about your situation.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You are assembling the razor correctly, right? I have the same razor and while it's not my favorite, I've never had any issues with my fair English complexion. No pressure, let the weight of the razor and the blade do the work.

You are assembling the razor correctly, right? I have the same razor and while it's not my favorite, I've never had any issues with my fair English complexion. No pressure, let the weight of the razor and the blade do the work.

+1! Welcome aboard. Some great advice above! The first step is to understand your set-up.

Be sure to start out with single pass shaves that are with the grain. I have saved many a friends face by telling them that. My grandfather always emphasized that shaving against the grain is the cause of ingrown hairs and red bumps. It shaves so close that some whiskers are trimmed below the skin surface.

I suspect that's why the ATG pass is saved for last. By the third pass, whiskers are to short to be shaved too close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then maybe get an electric? I believe what you're saying but I cannot fathom what your issues are that are making this so difficult. My teens won't use DE razors or even carts, strictly Norelco.

I started out with a EJ razor. I found a bic blade worked really well when I was trying to learn. A sharper blade like Feather is quite unforgiving.

I found that grip made quite a difference as well. THe wiki page has a good reference for gripping the razor. Safety Razor Grips

Only other thing that I found useful that I didn't see above is trying to find the best angle to cut. I tried it two ways, put the safety bar then raise the handle til it cuts, or start with the head then lower the handle til it cuts. Sounds like you may be doing more scraping than shaving, so try the head then lower until you feel the blade. Then just try to lift the hairs off your face.

Good luck! I hope your shaves get smoother.

I get great shaves with disposables.

I think the angle was right after a year of doing it.

I found Feathers more forgiving than Derby's.

If you get great shaves with disposables maybe you should try a vintage injector.
Schick E2 top.JPG

If you happen to be in Ontario or Quebec there is a chain of stores called Personal Edge (Centre du Rasoir) that have Merkur, Rockwell, and Vie Long razors in stock that you can physically see before you buy them.

The cheapest Rockwell and Vie Long are Baili made (a very good Chinese maker). The Rockwell is a TTO (less than $20) and the V-L is three piece clone of a Tech (less than $15).

I have both the Feather Popular and the VieLong mentioned above. I prefer the VL for smoothness and ease of use under the nose. It is made of zamac, but even if it breaks after a few years, for the cost I'll gladly buy another one.

Whatever razor you choose to get, I'm anxious to see if the EJ was the problem. Bum razors do happen, just like the occasional bad blade, but EJ has a very good reputation.

Do you have closeup pictures of your EJ?

I really think you should try a postwar Tech. I started DE's 9 months ago and I have found that some razors are just not for me while others just work. So I'd moved on rather than be patient and fight with a (to me) unforgiving razor model. So I'd say switch the razor to another model. And the Tech is wonderfully forgiving - and cheap at that.

Then - follow all the other good advice above. I think pressure is the key. I took me a while to learn to not press the razor down on my skin.

All I have to add is good luck. Hope you can find a way to enjoy your shaves. I'd try a straight before an electric. What's the worst that could happen?

Your razor should have a single blade. Whether it is a double edge, a single edge, a single blade disposable ( like Bic or Kai) or a single blade cartridge (like the Gillette Guard) should be a decision based on what suits your skin & you.
If , as you have mentioned, single blade disposables work for you, use them. There are good reviews for the Bic Metal on these forums.
An even better razor is the Gillette Guard, but it should only be used WTG for a single pass.
You can use a DE or multiblade for a second XTG pass if you need to get a closer shave.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Agree. Please try a $15 Gillette ball end tech. EBay has plenty. Very mild. Perfect with a Feather blade.

The above echo my thoughts.

What I got from the OP was a lack of rigidity. The post war Gillette Tech is one of the most rigid designs ever made, and also one of the mildest and smoothest shavers, few will disagree. It will be money well spent.

A quick search of this forum for the word "rigid" will turn up many results with pictures highlighting the concept.

Let the two pictures below serve as a very quick and simple example and decide for yourself which would be the smoother razor to use.

P1160333.jpg WolfmanWR1.png

Granted comparing an EJ/Merkur to a Wolfman may be an extreme example, but the post war Tech is just as rigid a design as are many others.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
IMO you should of started with a adjustable to find your aggressiveness needed like Gillette slim or Parker variant and Merkur progress.
Merkur 34c is a good starter razor from my understanding, not aggressive .
Nivea makes a excellent shave cream(i like it a lot) sensitive type that you seem to like, use a middle of the road blade like ASTRA SP. Good Hydration preparation and rinse with cold water after each pass.
Post shave, use alum or Thayers witch hazel, with Nivea balm for sensitive skin.( shave less if possible)
I'm a newbie to wet SE shaving also, I find prep is so important. Showering before a shave gives me also better results. I Still use my Gillette fusion cartridge rarely , I also own a :ouch1:Gillette Slim and Ming Shi 2000}both excellent adjustable razors.All the best!

Last edited:
Top Bottom