What's new

Serge Lutens

In my ongoing search for fragrances that I really enjoy, the next designer on my list is Serge Lutens. I've narrowed it down to two that I want to try: Santal Majuscule or Chergui. I've read the reviews on basenotes and fragrantica, so I'd really like to hear from any of the B&B folks who have tried one, or both, of these scents.

As a general rule, I really enjoy woody, tobacco, and leather scents. I know the Chergui has been compared favorably to Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, so at the moment this is the one that is the front runner for me (Tobacco Vanille is just too expensive for me to purchase more than a few mL's at a time...). I haven't really seen any comparisons for Santal Majuscule, but the notes/accords really sound interesting to me as well. I would greatly appreciate anyone who would be kind enough to share their experiences with the fragrances. Thanks!

EDIT TO ADD: I've also been seriously considering picking up Baldessarini Ambre. If either one of the Serge Lutens fragrances are similar enough to Ambre that it would be redundant to own both, please let me know. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I have not tried either, sorry Chris. I have tried some samples from Surrendertochance by Serge Lutens. Really good quality juice. I liked some of the scents and hated all of the animalistic ones.

Side note, you wouldn't happen to have gone to RIT for a couple years?

In my limited experience with it, Chergui wasn't what I was expecting and was kinda disappointing.

If you want a more budget friendly Tobacco Vanille, check out Tabac Rouge by Phaedon.

I have Chergui. For me, it goes on with a heavy vanilla/honey/sandalwood scent which dries down quickly to a slightly more woody/powdery flavoring. I don't get any tobacco at all when I wear this.

Definitely a frag for cooler weather.

I have Chergui. For me, it goes on with a heavy vanilla/honey/sandalwood scent which dries down quickly to a slightly more woody/powdery flavoring. I don't get any tobacco at all when I wear this.

Definitely a frag for cooler weather.

This makes me like it even more, haha...

Also - when I said that I read that it was "compared favorably to TF Tobacco Vanille", I didn't mean exactly that it was a "poor man's" version. I had just read that if you enjoy Tobacco Vanille, you will likely enjoy Chergui. For me, I think the "poor man's" Tobacco Vanille might be Burberry London. I smell those two side by side all the time, and even though they're clearly in different leagues, my nose picks up some pretty nice similarities.

At any rate, I decided to go ahead and pick up Chergui. It almost came down to a coin toss, but when I read that Chergui was much more of a unisex fragrance than Santal Majuscule that clinched it. If this is something that I don't like, then at least there's an outside shot SWMBO might enjoy it, creating a better chance that it might get used up. However, the vanilla/honey/sandalwood comment leads me to believe this might be right up my alley; I love those types of fragrances. I love them almost to a fault, considering my collection is pretty much dominated by cold-weather frags... haha.

Luetens frags seem to break down into two categories which are polar opposites of each other: rich, rococo compositions and austere, almost spartan sketches. While I enjoy and own several of the former, it is the latter where I think the brand's brilliance lies. Serge Noir and Borneo 1824 are two of my favorites in the latter category.

Luetens frags seem to break down into two categories which are polar opposites of each other: rich, rococo compositions and austere, almost spartan sketches. While I enjoy and own several of the former, it is the latter where I think the brand's brilliance lies. Serge Noir and Borneo 1824 are two of my favorites in the latter category.

I am hoping to receive the Chergui by the end of the week. I have a feeling I'll be a fan of the construction, and I can see Serge Lutens becoming pretty popular in my cabinet. I've been reading up on these fragrances a lot, and the Borneo 1834 is definitely something that has caught my attention. I think my next Decant Shop order will include Santal Majuscule and Borneo 1834, as well as Comme des Garcons Blue Santal (this one has been on my list for a while). After that, though, I really have to take a break until its time to find some warmer weather scents. Right now my collection is dominated by colder weather scents, its a little unfair right? No reason to leave out those fragrances made for spring and summer...:wink2:

I have Gris Clair in rotation. Lavender and Musc- awesome. I have not tried the ones you mentioned, but I am a real Serge Lutens fan.

I find Chergui tough to wear. I try periodically but I find it kind of sweet and overwhelming. It's a little feminine on me, too. I prefer Chene.

I have Gris Clair in rotation. Lavender and Musc- awesome. I have not tried the ones you mentioned, but I am a real Serge Lutens fan.

I have always liked Gris Clair, but I haven't got around to buying a bottle yet. Very nice. My wife has been a big fan of La Fille de Berlin since it came out. An excellent rose.

Chergui is a bit too sweet and feminine on me. I really wanted to like it but for me it doesn't work. The only Serge lutins that I really can pull off is Musc Kublai Khan.

Rick

I've been wearing Chergui this weekend, and I enjoy it - alot. Honey and hay for sure, very sweet and super feminine, but I have no problem wearing feminine fragrances. I think that this might be a fragrance that both my better half and I can share, and I like that. Very well made; I look forward to trying more from Serge Lutens.

Chergui is a bit too sweet and feminine on me. I really wanted to like it but for me it doesn't work. The only Serge lutins that I really can pull off is Musc Kublai Khan.

Rick

:Veg: This smelled so bad on me. It was like I gave a pig a colonoscopy. Strangely enough, my girlfriend didn't mind it at all. It's been the only fragrance I've ever washed off.

Top Bottom