What's new

September Photo Contest - Golden Light

Theme: Golden Light

Rules:

• Entries are shot between June 1st, 2020 and September 19th, 2020.
  • Post-processing is allowed.
  • When post-processing is used please elaborate a bit on what you did.

Conditions:
  • Winner of the September challenge picks a new theme and starts a new thread.
  • You must be the photographer.
  • One entry per month.
  • Competition runs until the 19th of the month.
  • Voting runs from the 20th - 26th of the month.
  • The person with the most votes is the winner.
I am not posting an example. Let's see if this increases the scope of our entries.

I guess I will start this off.

My favorite creature, the American Bison. This was taken at Custer State Park in South Dakota.

Post Processing; Clean up and cropping... then adding exposure to the Bisons bodies as they were in darker shadow.
Canon A620 pocket camera, lens at 29mm, f4.1, 1/800

Bison-Custer-Park.jpeg

I guess I will start this off.

My favorite creature, the American Bison. This was taken at Custer State Park in South Dakota.

Post Processing; Clean up and cropping... then adding exposure to the Bisons bodies as they were in darker shadow.
Canon A620 pocket camera, lens at 29mm, f4.1, 1/800

View attachment 1150558
The "Golden Calf" of bible fame? :) Nice shot!

Not In

The weather hasn't been cooperating for me. Took this one on a long bike ride from Exeter, NH up to and around Great Bay. This was shot late on a hot, sunny day with a Nikon Coolpix 7000. Very little post processing. I balanced the tones a bit and cropped. It was an overcast day and only the wooden decking and aluminum boat are showing much gold.

DSCN6501 - Great Bay Boat Dock at Dusk.jpg

My entry. I did a fair amount of post in Lightroom on this shot. It was more of a gray day and a little past the golden hour, but I did have some nice side light coming through the trees. The deer was in the shadow instead of the highlights though. so I had to do little relighting. There is a large oval shaped radial filter angling in from the side to try to make the sunbeam be hind her shift forward and include her. there are also a few other radial filters, and brush tools and a graduated filter. Also change color profile to Adobe Landscape and played around the the HLS panel to pop the yellows and oranges. I'll also post an un edited just to show where it started.
P1410874-6.JPG
P1410874-4.JPG

The smoke from the California fires has given us an extended golden hour where the sun is filtered through the smoke.

Shot on an iPhone 11 and post processed in the phone. Very tightly cropped, with exposure, saturation, sharpness adjusted. The color is more intense than the original.
11EAD524-0A59-45AA-B7BA-D3EBE298E320.jpeg

Original for comparison.
9DDF4FE2-D5CC-4C2C-8AE3-E6C2AB65760C.jpeg

My entry. I did a fair amount of post in Lightroom on this shot. It was more of a gray day and a little past the golden hour, but I did have some nice side light coming through the trees. The deer was in the shadow instead of the highlights though. so I had to do little relighting. There is a large oval shaped radial filter angling in from the side to try to make the sunbeam be hind her shift forward and include her. there are also a few other radial filters, and brush tools and a graduated filter. Also change color profile to Adobe Landscape and played around the the HLS panel to pop the yellows and oranges. I'll also post an un edited just to show where it started.View attachment 1156370View attachment 1156371
I love seeing the before and after. Thanks and good work with the lighting.

Voting ends at midnight on the 26th, Eastern Standard Time. (Just using my time zone... If we have an official time zone I run with that one. :) )

Top Bottom