What's new

September 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

You are the man @LJBraaten! - loved reading your story just now. Mine developed too in a relatively short period of time and although I have failed pretty much every one of my GRUMEs I still bought waaaayyyy less stuff that I would have without this fine shave gang here!

I honestly think that this NEW is my last and final addition. I have seen the elusive Hybrid being offered at the moment by a fellow B&B member and it is a fine razor - but I feel very less RAD than in the beginning.

Cheers!

Guido

Still in.

View attachment 1529351

I binned the blade subsequent to today's shave, since there were first signs of tugginess yesterday, which weren't gone today. So the blade significantly has lost their initial crisp keeness.

Seven shaves is a good number, though. There's no need to put my sensitive neck skin at risk by quenching out another shave or even two out of this blade. I'm perhaps a bit picky, but it is not worth for me to challenge a worn blade in this stadium any further. There's no way I could do an excalibur attempt with my face anyway... so it just doesn't matter if I bin the blade after seven shaves or nine. 😉

So today's shave was still nice enough and provided a DFS shave result with just a faint hint of skin irritation.

Happy shaves!
7 is a very decent number and nothing to be think less about. And a very decent number for this blade too!

Guido

Hey Guido, (@Guido75)

BOSC/COLD/SASA/PLC/BOTOC/BEAST/GRUMEr/Excaliburist

I have been snooping into your memberships.
I couldn't find any info about "SASA" searching by thread titles...so what is SASA?

That my friend is the fine brotherhood called Steep Angle Shaving Alliance or the crazies that usually shave steep. But occasionally I may ride a cap now and again.

Guido
Is it crazy to shave steep? I am a steep shaver, I ride the bar most all of the time. I think it is scary to ride the cap, seems dangerous. I have tried it for buffing but that is about it. Maybe I should look into this SASA club.

Still in!
Same brush and soap as yesterday. Today’s razor is Electric Cutlery. An odd name for a straight razor company but there it is. Very nice DFS shave in the afternoon before heading out for a “free” dinner.

0FC2C767-C5A3-45BF-93D6-7730CFCC34CE.jpeg

Is it crazy to shave steep? I am a steep shaver, I ride the bar most all of the time. I think it is scary to ride the cap, seems dangerous. I have tried it for buffing but that is about it. Maybe I should look into this SASA club.
Whether you join SASA or ShASA depends on the razor. For example, the Karve Christopher Bradley shaves shallow, whereas the Overlander shaves steep. The Vector can be rough with a steep angle, but is very smooth with a shallow angle. Some razors may perform equally well regardless of the shave angle, and these belong to WASA (Whatever Angle Shaving Alliance).

Day 27, 90% complete. Almost there!

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Al Handle, Nacet #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Switched to the mild Game Changer. This plus a sharp blade is a good combination, as it's as easygoing as the Rockwell R4 plate, and still gets you a respectable DFS+.

My ATG shave uses a medium angle, so the safety bar GCs can't be very fussy.

The open comb ones give me a rough ride ATG, so maybe they need you to "ride the cap" to get a comfortable shave.

7 is a very decent number and nothing to be think less about.

I usually retire inexpensive blades like Astra after 7 uses — "I've had a week's shaves out of it". Compare and contrast with "I'm changing my expensive cart every month, whether it needs it or not". 🤣

Seven is the number of the counting. You shall not stop at six nor go on to eight. Seven is the number of completion, from seven you shall go no further!
Anything with single digits is child’s play compared to you :ouch1:. It’s like Doc from Back to the Future. You live in an alternative time line with 100+ shaves on a Feather. And we do what Roedeer just said “woah a week’s shave! Awesome man” Twinplex anyone? 😁

Guido

@Guido75 said:
“I received my new NEW over the mail yesterday from the US. I will write a separate review on the razor as well. Originally I placed a bid on the razor because of the common bar handle which I wanted for my Flat Bottom New. Then @lasta convinced me not to dismiss the NEW LC just yet (I had already stored it away).”

That’s a big part of how my RAD began. When I decided to switch from my Trac II to DE (non cartridge), I soon ended up owning four razors: A Parker Variant, Leaf (which I had planned to purchase first, but didn’t until I realized they didn’t use special blades), and two razors inherited from family members: a Schick Krona and a Superspeed (which I thought was gone and didn’t rediscover until I purchased the new razors).
Then the slippery slope: I bought an Old Type because I was curious to try an OC razor. It had a mismatched aluminum Tech handle, so I thought I would get a properly colored one. It was cheaper to buy a whole razor and I found a gold plated Gillette New which “happened” to include a silver fat handled Prewar Tech. That Tech had bad threads on the cap, so I “needed” to get a silver one (even though the copper cap on the New was a perfect fit). I liked the New so much that I tried again for a Handle (and silver Prewar cap), this time I got a great deal on a brass Postwar fat handled Tech that included a silver handled Ballend Tech and a Gem Junior. Same experience, I didn’t want to surrender the handle or the cap, so I thought I “needed” to keep looking for parts. (I was beginning to see an endless loop ahead!) I had never considered using the Gem Junior, but decided to give it a try. Since it had to be repaired and I wasn’t sure it would hold I bought a similar Gem 1912 series razor. Then I decided I would like to get an old Lather Catcher, despite my bad experience the first few shaves with the Gems. Add to that the fact I had not used most of my last purchases! It was May of this year, and at that point I realized this had no good ending, I had a problem and it was just a matter of time before my wife was going to have a little talk with me. Maybe I could not purchase anything in June. I had noticed GRUME and decided to join for a month so there would be no razor purchases on the credit card bill for a month. I realized later that I didn’t need or really meant to keep buying more stuff, and I wanted to stay with GRUME. (It was never a matter of finances, just of AD accumulation.) I have since practically stopped. I traded for a Micromatic in July, and bought the Ever-Ready Little Lather Catcher last week. I don’t feel entirely good about either since I mainly only use my Silver Postwar Tech for DE shaving, and my repaired Gem Junior for SE. I could probably trade or give away a couple of my razors, but it is still hard to let go of what I already have!
Thank you for this post, @LJBraaten
I like the gentle self-mockery too.
Are you from Skandinavian descent?

Still in.

View attachment 1529351

I binned the blade subsequent to today's shave, since there were first signs of tugginess yesterday, which weren't gone today. So the blade significantly has lost their initial crisp keeness.

Seven shaves is a good number, though. There's no need to put my sensitive neck skin at risk by quenching out another shave or even two out of this blade. I'm perhaps a bit picky, but it is not worth for me to challenge a worn blade in this stadium any further. There's no way I could do an excalibur attempt with my face anyway... so it just doesn't matter if I bin the blade after seven shaves or nine. 😉

So today's shave was still nice enough and provided a DFS shave result with just a faint hint of skin irritation.

Happy shaves!
Don't you worry.
I ditch EVERY blade after one full beard and head shave.
Tried to use some blades for a second ride, but they were always bluntish/tuggish.
I guess @LJBraaten and me are shavers at the other end of the spectrum.
Worse still: a Feather rarely reaches the end of my full shaves.

Top Bottom