What's new

September 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still out, glad to be in next month 🙏🏽

I would lke to share my experience of this month. I stumbled early september on a very desirable rare vintage, a Shavex. The past months, I had no urges during GRUME. At all. That all changed after acquiring the aformentioned razor. It surprised me how soon the temptation to search for interesting items took a hold of me. Result: FIVE excellent and rare vintages found my home adress from all over the world. And even though I am very happy with them, I have come to realize how valuable GRUME is to me. Without it, I soon become a craving predator, lurking for prey hour after hour.
Nothing wrong with that as such, surely, but I admit I feel better during GRUME, enjoying and trying my already bulking den. I am not sure how to deal with this, if at all. Just wanted to share this.
Any thoughts on your behalf are welcome.

Todays shave, by the way, was great. Swedish gear, mostly, although I am not sure the Gillette Platinum is indeed the reincarnation of the famous discontinued 'Swede'. This Matador, a Razette, will be the one on Saint Sue auction next month. It shaves as good as my other Matador, but is in better cosmetic condition.

View attachment 1529212
You are absolutely right Jack. GRUME has a hygienic effect on us in containing the urge. I think in part it has to do with our daily check in similar to Weight Watchers or AA for that matter. Public commitment has an effect on unconscious behaviour. And then there is mutual support.

So looking forward to helping you enjoy your current collection! And if you want I can “support” in more strict ways as well - I can drive by and kick your behind if you are tempted to press the buy button. 😉

Cheers,

Guido

Date:27.09.2022
Focused participations:27/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
270/270 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society
Razor:Gillette NEW LC
Blade:Personna Red Israeli (2)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Soap:Haslinger Sandelholz
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Cold face wash
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WTG | ATG and touch ups
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:9/10 (minor weeper)
Comfort:8.5/10 (very comfortable)
Effectiveness:8/10 (DFS+)

I received my new NEW over the mail yesterday from the US. I will write a separate review on the razor as well. Originally I placed a bid on the razor because of the common bar handle which I wanted for my Flat Bottom New. Then @lasta convinced me not to dismiss the NEW LC just yet (I had already stored it away).

So I broke SWS this morning to give her a go. Kept blade and soap consistent to keep with SWS as much as I could.

Stubble was less than usual because the Flatboy and Personna did an outstanding job yesterday. I was still sufficiently smooth when going to bed. Awesome.

The shave today with the NEW LC was awesome as well. Its geometry is the same as the NFB s as far as my eyes can tell, but strangely enough this was a smoother more comfortable shave. I find the NFB more of a rake during shaving. Fatips for example are more rounded in their combs.

But this was a very nice experience and I am glad for this forum where we can support and challenge each other into better shaves. So hats off to @lasta for this one. New razor added to the rotation. And after clean up in a very well conditioned state - including shipping for the price of a FOCS that is very ok in my book! My Razor Rotation Anxiety is having a ball!

Will use the NFB tomorrow to note differences.

Enjoy your day!

Guido

You are absolutely right Jack. GRUME has a hygienic effect on us in containing the urge. I think in part it has to do with our daily check in similar to Weight Watchers or AA for that matter. Public commitment has an effect on unconscious behaviour. And then there is mutual support.

So looking forward to helping you enjoy your current collection! And if you want I can “support” in more strict ways as well - I can drive by and kick your behind if you are tempted to press the buy button. 😉

Cheers,

Guido
You're welcome for a coffee 👍🏼

Hi again. Still in.

Pleasant full BBS shave this morning.

Gollitte old style
Wizamet iridium (1)
Muhle rytmo badger brush
La Toja shaving stick (SOTM)
Brut musk AS
Nivea sensitive ASB
IMG_20220927_093407399.jpg

Have a nice one.

And even though I am very happy with them, I have come to realize how valuable GRUME is to me. Without it, I soon become a craving predator, lurking for prey hour after hour.
Nothing wrong with that as such, surely, but I admit I feel better during GRUME, enjoying and trying my already bulking den. I am not sure how to deal with this, if at all. Just wanted to share this.

GRUMEing together helps a lot. And I think it can slowly spill over into other areas of life that need shaping up.

Day 27!!! of GRUME
Week 1, day 4 in SWS

Gillette Super Speed
Nacet blade (25!)
Proraso white sensitive cream
Semogue 830 brush

Hey Guys
Same hardware all week except a different brush each day. I think I will post photos with the new setup on Saturdays.

Since I have somewhat sensitive skin, I decided to soak the boar brush 15 minutes before shaving. I also splashed my face with cool tap water at the same time. I have this theory that most of the water may evaporate but some of it is beginning to prep or condition my skin.

For the past year I mostly face lathered. Last month I started bowl lathering again. I think I am learning more about lathering technique and it is less wear and tear on my skin. When I started applying lather for the first pass, it tended to dry quickly. I kept re-applying the soap, mostly with thicker dabs and pats till I could see the lather was staying wet and providing good coverage. I think this extra lathering time especially helps for the first pass.
I know I tend to repeat similar ideas a lot of days but that is what I am interested in on a particular day.

Today I used the Nacet blade for the 25th day! The extra prep mentioned above, no pressure short strokes and skin tightening all seem to play a part in my learning process. I also tend to shave with the cap on the first pass and more-so with the guard on subsequent passes.

I REALLY like the idea behind SWS! It is like slowing down and spending quality time with someone, or in this situation, a soap and razor. I am finding out this soap works very well, rinses off easily with cool water splashes and doesn't dry out my face. It is slick and versatile. It also has a "calm" scent but not like a lavender soap. The razor has personal significance since it was manufactured in my birth year. This "common" razor from 1954 is as technically sufficient as the "modern" razors made today.

My knee is improving. This morning I could walk slowly and carefully without much pain. I am Thankful and hopeful I will not need medical treatment for it to heal.

Good Day!

@Guido75 said:
“I received my new NEW over the mail yesterday from the US. I will write a separate review on the razor as well. Originally I placed a bid on the razor because of the common bar handle which I wanted for my Flat Bottom New. Then @lasta convinced me not to dismiss the NEW LC just yet (I had already stored it away).”

That’s a big part of how my RAD began. When I decided to switch from my Trac II to DE (non cartridge), I soon ended up owning four razors: A Parker Variant, Leaf (which I had planned to purchase first, but didn’t until I realized they didn’t use special blades), and two razors inherited from family members: a Schick Krona and a Superspeed (which I thought was gone and didn’t rediscover until I purchased the new razors).
Then the slippery slope: I bought an Old Type because I was curious to try an OC razor. It had a mismatched aluminum Tech handle, so I thought I would get a properly colored one. It was cheaper to buy a whole razor and I found a gold plated Gillette New which “happened” to include a silver fat handled Prewar Tech. That Tech had bad threads on the cap, so I “needed” to get a silver one (even though the copper cap on the New was a perfect fit). I liked the New so much that I tried again for a Handle (and silver Prewar cap), this time I got a great deal on a brass Postwar fat handled Tech that included a silver handled Ballend Tech and a Gem Junior. Same experience, I didn’t want to surrender the handle or the cap, so I thought I “needed” to keep looking for parts. (I was beginning to see an endless loop ahead!) I had never considered using the Gem Junior, but decided to give it a try. Since it had to be repaired and I wasn’t sure it would hold I bought a similar Gem 1912 series razor. Then I decided I would like to get an old Lather Catcher, despite my bad experience the first few shaves with the Gems. Add to that the fact I had not used most of my last purchases! It was May of this year, and at that point I realized this had no good ending, I had a problem and it was just a matter of time before my wife was going to have a little talk with me. Maybe I could not purchase anything in June. I had noticed GRUME and decided to join for a month so there would be no razor purchases on the credit card bill for a month. I realized later that I didn’t need or really meant to keep buying more stuff, and I wanted to stay with GRUME. (It was never a matter of finances, just of AD accumulation.) I have since practically stopped. I traded for a Micromatic in July, and bought the Ever-Ready Little Lather Catcher last week. I don’t feel entirely good about either since I mainly only use my Silver Postwar Tech for DE shaving, and my repaired Gem Junior for SE. I could probably trade or give away a couple of my razors, but it is still hard to let go of what I already have!

Still in.

20220926_152816-01-01.jpeg

I binned the blade subsequent to today's shave, since there were first signs of tugginess yesterday, which weren't gone today. So the blade significantly has lost their initial crisp keeness.

Seven shaves is a good number, though. There's no need to put my sensitive neck skin at risk by quenching out another shave or even two out of this blade. I'm perhaps a bit picky, but it is not worth for me to challenge a worn blade in this stadium any further. There's no way I could do an excalibur attempt with my face anyway... so it just doesn't matter if I bin the blade after seven shaves or nine. 😉

So today's shave was still nice enough and provided a DFS shave result with just a faint hint of skin irritation.

Happy shaves!

Still in! Same gear as yesterday, except for the brush!

Pre: Proraso White
Soap/AS: MoonSoaps Old School
Razor: WR2 1.15 OC
Blade: Rubie (3)
Brush: Classic 2 Super

The Classic 2 super started out pretty soft and dense with a really nice face presence for lathering but I think its getting softer after about 7 uses. There is plenty of back bone. Its a little over spec'd compared to the Simpsons website. Instead of the 23/44 knot to loft, I measure it at 24/46 just like the best version.

Top Bottom