What's new

September 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Date:26.09.2022
Focused participations:26/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
269/269 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society
Razor:Razorine Flatboy 72
Blade:Personna Red Israeli (1)
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Soap:Haslinger Sandelholz
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Cold face wash
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WTG | XTG | ATG
Efficiency:8/10 (20 minutes)
Quality:5/10 (Cut left of my lips)
Comfort:7/10 (Neutral sensation)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

Three times was not a charm today because of user cockiness. Two passes was already good. Minor weepers because the blade had to break in, but I needed to chase the BBS. I should have stopped at two and the Flatboy was uncompromising in letting me know: a small cut just left of my lips.

Everything else was the same as yesterday. New blade performed well too. Reminds me of a Tiger Platinum in my opinion. I get the same amount of mileage too on both blades.

Still in

R41/SLOC
BIC Chrome Platinum (9)
Yaqi Sagrada Familia
LEA Shave Stick
Epsilon Blue

IMG-4800_4079 (2).jpg

The travel kit still delivers..:)

Still in.

20220925_154636-01-01-01.jpeg

Yesterday's shave with the Timeless Slim was a close one, so I opted for a rather milder razor today. I haven't used my Redtip in ages, it appears.

Two nice and easy passes Iater all stubble was gone again and I was set for the day.

Wishing you all a good start into the new week and some even more greater shaves!

Mail carrier came by today - wasn’t expecting this till next week. This is what put me out of GRUME at the start of the month.

3833B8E6-4EF4-4790-A234-7C25283C5283.jpeg

In the middle the baseplate and cap from my new NEW. And above the common bar handle that came with it mounted onto my NEW flat bottom (the stock handle is the one at the bottom). I think they pair nicely, although I have some doubts in terms of using the NFB as intended (but that is just in my head). The common bar handle is definitely more meaty than the stock one in terms of dimensions. Weight wise they are similar. And that was the main reason for getting this razor. At a bargain price too so I am not complaining!

Here is the common bar handle on my Flatboy by the way. Also good looking in my opinion, but it does not clamp the blade that much compared to the stock SS handle.

7142E559-E625-493A-97E3-28985F7AC5E7.jpeg

Cannot wait to have a shave with this new handle and feel the difference.

Cheers everyone!

Guido

I’m looking forward to getting back to participating successfully in GRUME next month. Looking back, I made it June-August with no purchases, just a trade for an SE razor and several blades. I went through most of my soap supply, and hardly touched my DE razor stash. It was great to actually shave with some of my small collection of razors! In the process discovered how much I like my early postwar Tech (my main razor now.) I also learned how to shave with my old SE Gem razors, and have started participating in Micromatic Mondays (dedicated to all things ASR, more or less 😝). I went into September knowing I would probably fail since I felt it important to have a honing device to extend the life of my SE blades. Unfortunately temptation was too great once I was out, and I purchased that razor that I have been wanting since May, and drove me to GRUME in the first place. I think I will be able to hold the course next month, but I will need to restock my soap whenever Mike’s has a more desirable selection in stock (or just try what he now has).

Now I am curious to know (can’t recall) which razor that was?!

Guido
I don’t think I mentioned it, except for asking if someone wanted to trade a Lather Catcher (vintage Star or Gem, etc.) for my Parker Variant (still up for trade, BTW). I ended up buying an Ever-Ready (how it’s spelled on this razor) 24/14 (March 24, 1914 pat. date), this model probably produced from around 1917-19. It’s sometimes called “the little lather catcher.” I’m testing it today for Micromatic Monday.

Day 26 GRUME
SWS, day 3

Gilette Super Speed
Nacet blade (#23!)
Proraso White (sensitive)
Evo 2.0 brush

Hey Guys
No picture today; same setup as yesterday.

I injured myself yesterday when our pitbull dog slammed into my knee out in the yard. It is very painful when walking and I am using a cane to hobble around the house. My dear wife is taking good care of me. I am very stubborn but may have to get it checked out tomorrow.

GRUME and now SWS is really helping me to improve the "art" and skill of shaving. When I started out in February, 2021, after a couple months I thought I was doing pretty good, (phase 1). Then I went on cruise control till July this year. Since that time, and a spending spree in August, I feel I am in phase 2, where daily I am learning to be a better shaver. I am also learning to use more restraint and discretion in other areas of life.

SWS is helping me to slow down and "smell the roses". Using the same hardware, even after only 3 days, is teaching me how wonderful it is to use, appreciate and enjoy something as I become more familiar with it.

Using the Nacet blade for 23 shaves (a new personal best) is happening because my experience and techniques are getting better. My latest (personal) discovery is spending more time applying lather for the first pass. I used to lather maybe up to a minute. Now, the additional time of dabbing, patting, painting and splaying helps the lather to prep my skin better. It is the little things that makes a difference. Each day I take "baby steps" and want to @never-stop-learning.

Good Day!

Still in and looking forward to October as well.

Nov will be a no go as I will be spending some time in Paris and Madrid. I fully expect to be a very bad boy and fall off the wagon spectacularly. At least I will have shopping money thanks to completing Aug/Sept GRUME! 😜
October means Tabac for me, I am looking forward to that as well.

November is guaranteed out for me, but visiting T&H, Floris, and TOBS on St James and Jermyn respectively is premeditated. I have been waiting to patiently to acquire a puck of Apsley & Refill. On the other hand, I don't know if I will be able to exercise restraint if I come across an HD Rocket, British Red Tip, or even a Parat in person...

+1.
This base is brilliant.
And the scent on this particular soap is highly enjoyable, too. I'm glad I ordered a tub in good time. Immediately did when I got the sample...
Haven’t checked if it's still available...
Until today, my personal fav is Trismegistus. But others are just as nice... (Opulence, Nightman...).
Trismegistus I believe is only available NOS in the Bison base. I haven't seen the Milksteak inventoried anywhere. The description reads perfect for this time of year. I have been wholly satisfied with Champs de Lavande, 88 Chestnut, and Sunrise on Lasalle. Rose/Yuzu is what started it all for me...

SOTD #23
Still In !

Monday morning...
  • No Pre-Shave
  • SV 70th (SOTM)
  • Adam Grooming's Pure Badger
  • Mühle R89
  • Timor (6)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Nordost Splash
  • No Post-Shave Balm

Trismegistus I believe is only available NOS in the Bison base. I haven't seen the Milksteak inventoried anywhere. The description reads perfect for this time of year.
You are correct.
It's an intoxicating interpretation of Terre d'Hermes.

I emailed Declaration Grooming the other day and asked if they intended to bring back the soap in their milksteak base. I got no response.

Anyway, if this happens I'll be in. ALL IN!

Last edited:
Still in, and we have entered the home straight! Victory awaits, comrades! :)

And I have to say, watching that Heljestrand MK.32 go for only USD112 a couple of hours ago was quite the test of my resolve. To whomever it was that scored that absolute bargain, I salute you! 🖖
I can imagine! I have an MK32, paid quite a bit more than that. But there will be others!

I’m still getting excellent shaves on my Feather Blade, it hit 105 yesterday. I have improved my technique in the chin area the past couple of days, I am getting much closer shaves now.
Today I observed Micromatic Monday with my new acquisition. Here’s my post:

I took last week off pursuing shave 100 on my Feather Blade. This week I got a nice Ever-Ready 24/14 for my MM shave. It has some wear through on the cap, but elsewhere it is in excellent condition, even the handle.
I was a little apprehensive since I like mild razors, so I used the @Ron R shim method. It delivered a wonderful shave with the 6th run on a Gem PTFE, Mike’s Barbershop Soap and an Ever-Ready two tiered badger brush. It has to be handled with a little more care than my 1912 Gem Junior; I got two small cuts.

Still out, glad to be in next month 🙏🏽

I would lke to share my experience of this month. I stumbled early september on a very desirable rare vintage, a Shavex. The past months, I had no urges during GRUME. At all. That all changed after acquiring the aformentioned razor. It surprised me how soon the temptation to search for interesting items took a hold of me. Result: FIVE excellent and rare vintages found my home adress from all over the world. And even though I am very happy with them, I have come to realize how valuable GRUME is to me. Without it, I soon become a craving predator, lurking for prey hour after hour.
Nothing wrong with that as such, surely, but I admit I feel better during GRUME, enjoying and trying my already bulking den. I am not sure how to deal with this, if at all. Just wanted to share this.
Any thoughts on your behalf are welcome.

Todays shave, by the way, was great. Swedish gear, mostly, although I am not sure the Gillette Platinum is indeed the reincarnation of the famous discontinued 'Swede'. This Matador, a Razette, will be the one on Saint Sue auction next month. It shaves as good as my other Matador, but is in better cosmetic condition.

F78FD7A7-F11D-46EC-9A42-3FF6D8055C56.jpeg

Top Bottom