What's new

September 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Date:24.09.2022
Focused participations:24/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
267/267 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society
Razor:Razorine Flatboy 72
Blade:Personna Red Israeli (8)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Soap:Haslinger Sandelholz
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Postshave:Floïd’s The Genuine (A/S)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)
Passes:WTG | ATG + Jaw touch up
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:5/10 (Multiple tiny weepers)
Comfort:7/10 (Light scraping sensation)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

I am going to put this either in the blade or me for doing my right side right handed, but definitely less comfortable and smooth than last time I used the Flatboy with this blade. Nothing to fuss about too much, because the overall shave was just nice. Excellent performance by the Plissoft and Haslinger. Excellent combination!

I sort of committed myself to use this setup for the entire week, but I can already sense my RRA (Razor Rotation Anxiety aka stress from having to choose) building so not sure if I can complete the ride. Fun to try though.

Saturday September 24 - Still in

Razor: R41/SLOC
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (8)
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Soap: LEA Shave Stick
Aftershave: RR XXX Fresco

IMG-4800_4063 (2).jpg

And today I also got a really nice headshave :thumbup:

IMG-4800_4065 (2).jpg

Hope you all have a nice weekend!

We had a great time in Yosemite, but as travel writer Rick Steves says, the best day of any vacation is when you return home. It’s good to be back, let the routine resume!
I got unpacked straightaway, a custom I adopted recently after being annoyed with packed luggage laying around for a few days after every trip. I got a DFS++ (I hesitate to grant BBS status to any shave) on my 103rd use of my Feather blade. I confirmed that my travel soap is not as kind to my face as my Mike’s; I’ll need to bring Mike’s for longer trips.
On another note: Anyone else wonder regarding the whereabouts of our very quiet moderator this month? Is he ghosting the thread? (This is a test.) No roll calls so far despite all the lapsed among us. Maybe there are so many of us it would be pointless and tedious? Maybe we are doing such a great job of monitoring ourselves that we don’t need any intervention (?) 😇 Maybe Brandon has a life? 🤔

LJ, if I may address you as such,
Glad you had a beautiful get-away!...I always like to unpack immediately after a trip. I agree, Ain't no place like home!
I noticed you have a new signature! You are worthy, deserving and have earned the title of Excaliburist!

Brandon, as long as your OK and doing good, we all (I think most Grumers would agree) love ya and appreciate your involvement in this thread. I think you posted early in the month you would provide fewer comments.
LJ said to me "this Bud's for you", I am now passing it forward. @FoolishMortal this Bud's for you! (I don't know if this Budweiser commercial is shown in other countries, but in the U.S. it is a funny token of recognition.)

24th day of September GRUME
First posting in the Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

PXL_20220923_233600360.PORTRAIT.jpg

1954 Gillette Super Speed flair tip (day 1)
Nacet blade (#21)
Simpson "Emperor"
Proraso White "Super Formula" (day 1)

Hey Guys
Where to begin! First, I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Even though it still seems to be a hot Summer, I sense Fall is in the air.

I am thankful for GRUME as I am learning to be restraint-ful not only in shaving matters but also more thoughtful in other areas of my life. It is serious, playful, introspective, rewarding and enjoyable all at the same time. I am 68, retired and have other endeavors to keep me busy, but participating in B&B is a way of keeping my creative juices flowing every day. Learning new shaving skills and being more thoughtful each day is rewarding.

On a lighter note, @Guido75 mentioned he deals with RRA- Razor Rotation Anxiety. There is the excitement (and anxiety) of having many daily choices to fit a mood or just a whim. I also have SRA- Soap Rotation Anxiety. Combining the two, I'll call it RS-RAD. I am partially joking but somewhat serious. In SWS, I plan to use the same razor and soap for the entire week. The benefit for me, will be an opportunity to become better acquainted with these items and their characteristics and at the same time focus more on enjoyment, technique and balance. I will still have the freedom to use different brushes during the week and personalize post-shave care. The Emperor brush was purchased last year on the assumption that since I have a beard, a smaller brush would be more suitable. I still have the beard, but have discovered I also enjoy larger fan shaped knots. I pulled the Simpson out of the drawer for this special occasion.

I am really admiring the Excalibur group. I am finding out I REALLY need to have good technique to continue using a blade for an extended period of time. Extended prep time, improved lathering, no pressure and short shaving strokes (especially on the first pass) are all important. @LJBraaten , you must really have good techniques and skill to be at #102.

I've said it before, I enjoy reading others experiences and enjoy the photo skills I see every day. I have been trying to improve my pics which is another way to express creativity.

Back in July GRUME (and May, 2021) I usually ended my post like this.

Good Day! :letterk1:

RRA- Razor Rotation Anxiety. There is the excitement (and anxiety) of having many daily choices to fit a mood or just a whim. I also have SRA- Soap Rotation Anxiety. Combining the two, I'll call it RS-RAD.
That’sa potential double whammy indeed. My RRA gets kicked up a notch in SWS actually - it’s not so much the daily choices as it is about what I don’t choose or use. I feel I leave too much stuff untouched. :eek2:

And I should be fine because I have 7 razors as it is - so one for each day of the week. And still I feel anxiety when I use one more than the other. Guess how SWS made me feel this morning…real first order problems.

Interestingly enough (or schizophrenic - I would accept that too) I do not have a similar issue with brushes or soaps. Just razors…

I bet Sigmund Freud is having a laugh over me now!

Guido

Good morning!!!
Still out but still hanging around the group. No shave yesterday since I was feeling ill. Feeling a little better today so I picked out some gear and got the day going.

Rudy Vey beehive boar brush
SV Dolmiti soap
Gillette Tech/Bic Chrome Platinum blade
Floid aftershave

Two passes and I was done. DFS and looking forward to heading to the neighborhood Oktoberfest this evening. German beer and food for those that attend and it'll give us a chance to meet some new people since we are new to the neighborhood.

Have a fantastic Saturday my friends!
20220924_090008.jpg

24th day of September GRUME
First posting in the Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
That’sa potential double whammy indeed. My RRA gets kicked up a notch in SWS actually - it’s not so much the daily choices as it is about what I don’t choose or use. I feel I leave too much stuff untouched. :eek2:

And I should be fine because I have 7 razors as it is - so one for each day of the week. And still I feel anxiety when I use one more than the other. Guess how SWS made me feel this morning…real first order problems.

Interestingly enough (or schizophrenic - I would accept that too) I do not have a similar issue with brushes or soaps. Just razors…

I bet Sigmund Freud is having a laugh over me now!

Guido
LOL!
I agree when we choose one particular kit for the day and longingly look at all the items WE DON'T get to use that day.
Thats why I often have a second bedtime shave!

Hey, all, thanks for the well-wishing and sorry about any worries caused. I have been in a very busy period at work - a key employee left, so I get to do her job and mine as we head into the holidays (I work in ecommerce). And then there was the trip with SWMBO, which was great, and I tried really hard to truly unplug and enjoy Kauai. Of course, there's no (long-term) rest for the weary, so I came back to 800+ unread emails, loads of questions about my staff's work, analysis and feedback to give to keep my third-party service provider projects moving and...yeah, real life.

Unfortunately, that meant rationing my time, and I just couldn't keep up with B&B. I'm off to LA for a conference Monday through Wednesday, but I'm using a little weekend time to catch up on this thread and other things. I'm going to go through and collate all the "outs", so look for a Roll Call pretty soon here. I'm also going to start the October GRUME thread and, well, I guess that I need to get in and update the Tabactober thread, too!

9/1 Just want to register to say, I'm out! This is worse than Seinfeld.

Date:02.09.2022
Focused participations:2/30 Days in GRUME (3.3% completed and formally out)
245/245 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Razor:Razorine Flatboy 72
Blade:Shark Chrome (2)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Soap:TGS Orange Empire
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant and Gillette Slide
XTG (W-E) | Sideways Gillette Slant
ATG (S-N) | Slightly Gillette Slanted
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:8/10 (Some minor weepers)
Comfort:7/10 (Ok)
Effectiveness:8.5/10 (BBS-)
I have the Shark a second chance and this time it was much smoother. Still bitey, but way better than the first run. Three passes and almost everywhere BBS - even above the upper lip without ATG.

My lather was thicker than usual. On purpose to ensure cushioning against the blade. The razor is mega effective. Used a shallower angle today which seemed to work better.

Excellent results in an excellent timeframe.

I think I will apply strict GRUME theory and declare myself out. I placed a bid on a NEW with a common bar handle (still ongoing so I might as well loose). It was on restock day and I only did it for the handle to hopefully pair it with my NEW Flat Bottom, because the stock handle is too skinny for my liking. I could see that as a need (because otherwise I will not enjoy what I have and not use it that much), but again I want to err on the safe side. I have no other purchases done or planned. Actually deep inside I feel some remorse for placing the bid, telling myself to suck it up and use the handle that the razor came with.

So I will remain in GRUME September and cheer you on from the side lines!

Onwards!

I’m out (as anticipated). I finally found a honing device for my single edged blades. (My first shaving purchase since early May.) It will also serve at least one other function, I’m hoping for a third. But it’s main use is for razor blades.

I'm out.
Got my hands on a battered vintage Shavex real cheap.
Wonder if I can get it replated, but if not, it is most welcome in my den.
I'll try and finish the rest of this months GRUME 🙏🏽

View attachment 1517602

Went into this GRUME with a lot of confidence, but I have fallen! I ordered a Omega 10810 Boar so I can rotate my Boar brushes. I have a synthetic brush RazoRock Big Bruce which is nice but I really prefer Boar. My 16 year old son disclosed he wants to wetshave so I will be giving him the Synthetic.

And just like that, I'm out!

I just paid for a Timeless Ti razor off the BST. I have a SS, and a Bronze Timeless and wasn't even looking for the Titanium version but I bought it. 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to continue to post in the group until the end of the month. Dang, so far this year I'm 3-2 when it comes to successful monthly restraints!

Bad news boys, I’m out. I’d like to say it was some extravagant purchase too, but nope:

View attachment 1524518

Walked by, on clearance for $1. Got one as I’ve never tried Proraso (I’ve tried tubed Bigelow).

Got home and opened it up for a look… its… is it a cream? Or croap? I can load it from the jar?

Unfortunatelly, I'm out :sad:
Two Fatips knocked me out of this GRUME: Piccolo open comb and FOCS. The price was really good, but I will miss you guys. So I guess I'll see you in next month's restraint 😃

And now, for something a little different...
When you say registration closes on the 15th (today), does that mean I can register through the 15th? I know, sounds like a dumb question. Just thought I would ask.
Sorry - I replied, but didn't quote your message, so I don't think you knew that my reply was for you.
Hello!

Did not officially participate in this month's Grume (as I was doing the SEptember), but wanted to check in with y'all. I have not had any purchases in September and only remotely tempted. Hope all is well and that the Grume is strong!

Peace!
See below.
Cool thanks!
Today will be the day then. If I wait till October, it'll give me half of month of spending possibilities throughout the rest of September, Lol!
I've never done a GRUME but after today's (necessary) purchase and after looking at everything else I have that's shaving related, I'm pretty much set till like forever!🤣
So thanks. I'm in!
LRod
You saw my response to @koreysmith, and I'm glad you did. Welcome to the the back half of this GRUME, and we'll see you in October!
Oops…looks like I missed the sign in! I’ve been abstinent, though!
See below.

Okay - whew! That's a lotta posts to review...

The good news is that after a really rough start to the month, we seem to have settled in, not unlike the first use of a Feather and then the subsequent uses...

Of course, we did lose some brothers - I think we've had only one "perfect" month since I've been doing this - and so it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) @Balin
3) @tjsgarden
4) @JAHE
5) @sarir97
6) @Doti B
7) Markdad2 - out (9/12: Omega brush)
8) @bjm
9) @sandorfi - SOTM
10) @Virtus3
11) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
12) @silverlifter
13) Guido75 - out (9/2: Gillette handle)
14) @LMcC
15) @cryhavoc
16) @iver
17) @markmc
18) @hopper_64
19) linty1 - out (9/18: Bargain Proraso)
20) elmo_koffman - out (9/22: Fatip razors)
21) ljbraaten - out (9/3: Honer)
22) Cantujm - out (9/13: Timeless Ti)
23) @ChriWilson - (SOTM)
24) @Stuart Ganis
25) @2bit_collie
26) @Roedeer
27) Jack Goossen - out (9/5: Shavex)
28) @SharpieB

Honorable Mentions:

Last edited:
The October thread is up:

Still in!
My wife, who is out of town texted a photo of a razor from a flea market this morning saying “interested?” My first though was “I am not going to blow a GRUME two months in a row near the end of the month!🤣

Today’s shave featured the same brush and soap. I really thought this would be the last day for the sample but there was a trace left after 3 passes. It may or may not be sufficient for a shave tomorrow. And the razor was my only W&B - every straight shaver should have one!

316EDFCD-95A3-40ED-BCC1-E9382BCEEE5B.jpeg

Day 24, 80% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #10
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

SV Saturday, and Cubebe's turn has come round again. Got a good near-BBS. This KCG blade still seems to be holding up on its 10th use.

Life is what happens while we are busy making other plans (John Lennon - who was at the end so busy he had to take a sabbatical from shaving).

I can fully relate Brandon @FoolishMortal and you made the wise decision to spend time with loved ones. A little after the fact but happy anniversary. Life is all about the right priorities.

And your leadership continued during your silence how cool is that. We had some casualties along the way, but we carried them with us so everybody is still here.

One week left gents. Keep it up!! And as our fearless captain would say: ONWARDS!!!!

Guido

Top Bottom