What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

linty1

My wallet cries.
thumbnail_IMG_2936.jpg

Made it.

A lovely shave, this brush is improving and getting softer shave after shave, the feather proglide still going strong. Using the Lucky Tiger just to mix things up a bit.

See you guys in the October grume.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Another successful month in the GRUME. Thanks to all for the support and camaraderie, and special thanks as always to @FoolishMortal for serving as the clerk-of-the-works for this thread.

I got one last shave out of this GSB blade in the trusty red tip Super Speed razor- I think it went 14 or 15 shaves. I'm not one of these 'Excelsior' blade longevity guys-- no, I'm just lazy. Brown/Black Beagle fan brush, Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme soap, and vintage Gillette Sun Up aftershave. It smelled so good that just before leaving the house I dabbed a little Sun Up Cologne on my wrists and behind my ears... like a real Dandy.

I'm still in, and looking forward to October.

Another successful month in the GRUME. Thanks to all for the support and camaraderie, and special thanks as always to @FoolishMortal for serving as the clerk-of-the-works for this thread.

I got one last shave out of this GSB blade in the trusty red tip Super Speed razor- I think it went 14 or 15 shaves. I'm not one of these 'Excelsior' blade longevity guys-- no, I'm just lazy. Brown/Black Beagle fan brush, Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme soap, and vintage Gillette Sun Up aftershave. It smelled so good that just before leaving the house I dabbed a little Sun Up Cologne on my wrists and behind my ears... like a real Dandy.

I'm still in, and looking forward to October.

That sounds like an excellent shave

I’d like to hope I can get through the day without buying anything shave related. Of course, the day is still young here

BB254226-08B0-41B6-998E-C3CC82B0FF56.jpeg

You know, when you go a long time without using a Gillette Silver Blue blade, and get a lot of mediocre shaves, you realize what you’ve been missing when you finally pop one in the razor and use it. Nice to get a good efficient no-irritation BBS again.

Still in. Headshave only with the usual kit.

Weird thing. I can’t post using Tapatalk. I assumed it was because my annual donation had expired turns out it didn’t and now I have three memberships.
Something to do with this maybe? Oct 27th is listed as the end of support date though…..

Still in with less than 9 hours to go in my time zone. I figure I'll make it.

Finally shaved, with some of the last of my Tallow and Steel Classic 2. Nice scent. I used one of my big kamisoris. It was a good shave, not a great shave, and I know why.

There are tons of people who hone on a stone, and then shave, strop, shave, strop. They get a lot of shaves that way. I get...2. I once got 6 1/2 (the half was one I have up on halfway through), because I was trying to push as far as I could, which turned out to be the first time it tugged. For actually liking the shave, it's more like 2. This was the third shave after honing, and while it was comfortable and reasonably effective, I strongly prefer that super-keen edge I get right off of my finishers, or with The Method. I am trying to examine my technique to see if I am going high-angle in some places, dulling the edge prematurely, but I haven't been able to catch myself at it, much.

Tomorrow I get to go back to my small razors, which is more of a relief than I expected when I embarked on the Big Razor Month project.

I looked up what to do about ingrown hairs, and none of the suggestions involved trying to dig them out of your face with crude tools. The consensus was "leave it alone and it will fix itself." One place suggested rubbing with a wet washcloth daily. So I'm doing that.

Have a fun October GRUME!

Last shave of the month
Pre-Shave: Warm face wash
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Blade: Gillette 7 O’clock Black (first use)
Soap: Fine Platinum hard puck
Post-Shave: Alum Block
Davidoff Cool Water AS Splash
Fine Platinum ASB

Some stuff that hasn’t been used for ages to close out September. 3 pass plus minimal touch ups. Result was a lovely BBS shave of which I am impressed. Stay safe and roll into October GRUME 😎😎😎😎

I looked up what to do about ingrown hairs, and none of the suggestions involved trying to dig them out of your face with crude tools. The consensus was "leave it alone and it will fix itself." One place suggested rubbing with a wet washcloth daily. So I'm doing that.
Regular use of a warm compress and topical disinfectant is also helpful. :blushing:

Gents, with a mere few hours left, I’m happy to have made it through September GRUME! This is the first month since the beginning of my “journey”, in January of this year, that I’ve not made a shave-related purchase. I even failed August GRUME due to Tabac (sorry, nor sorry). Thank you all for your daily posts and encouragement!

My shopping carts are full and ready for purchase at 12:01. A Tatara Masamune is in the works; I only have one razor (the Vector) and ~need~ variety. I’ve not had a good experience with other DEs, so I’m hoping the Tatara delivers. I’ll also be purchasing several alcohol based aftershave samples, hoping I can find one that doesn’t spontaneously combust my face. Up until now, I’ve only used non-alcoholic products. After these purchases, I’ll join October GRUME, if you’ll have me!

Day 30, 100% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 OC, Astra SP #6
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Finished the month in style, with a thorough shave from the favourite Game Changer.

Congratulations to those who made it to the finish, despite the tallow tribulations.

I'll see some of you over on the October GRUME.

Top Bottom