What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

View attachment 1332239

Still in.

You know what? I usually get knots in the 24-26mm range, but trying this 20mm knot and I really really like it. The keyhole shape is nice to hold and use. I'm just terrified of losing whats left of the sticker. But that 20mm size just really works well, reknot and set a little deeper than the original knot, which was super soft, but way, way too floppy/lofty.

Great shave.

Does anybody know what sort of clear coat to apply to protect the sticker? I've read that clear nail polish works? But I'm looking for a more permanent solution.... all else fails I may just ask Rudy to make me a copy and use that one. I really do like the shape/size.
Have not done it myself but I did read about people using clear nail polish remover with good result.

It's also just a sticker, although I do understand your predicament.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Normally the world is filled with temptations waiting to pull a GRUMEr off of the path. Rarely is there anything, other than credit card bills or full shelves, that pulls in the direction of restraint.

Catching up with the forum today, I spotted one such pull: high praise for the "4.3" formulation of Saponificio Varesino. Here I sit with maybe 5 tins of 4.2. No, I don't want to look and see exactly how many.

I figure I should get to try the 4.3 in about 4 years. If only I had been more restrained...
I hear you. I am halfway through a 400ml naggin of Floid Genuine Italian with another full 400ml bottle behind it. I've also got a barely opened bottle of Floid Vigoroso, with a spare of that in the cupboard as well. In other words, at the rate I use Floid I'm set for somewhere between 4 and 7 years.

And then Floid releases a remake of their original 1932 formula...

Learning to deal with these siren calls is necessary if you want to succeed in restraint.

Still in
This razor has become my most used razor on the year as of today. It's treating me very well for sure.
20210922_223415.jpg

Still in. Shower and shave before bed.

83EFC64D-76DF-4024-9575-6E764199F952.jpeg

You’re looking at the only boar brush I own that ever has a chance of being used; it was supplied by TSS. I have two more copies of that same handle; the others have a STF knot and a 2-band badger. I like them all, but this one least. It’s okay but obviously doesn’t compare to the others, but it also has to be used sometimes too.

The razor contains a 1985 Gillette Platinum Plus (2), slid out from its original silver dispenser into the Slim the way Gillette intended. I picked up ten 10-packs a couple years ago for $25 on eBay, which was a great price, but I do not love them either, because they are sharp to the point of harshness. First shave with this one the other day left me a lot of irritation under my chin. Now I am experimenting with dialing the Slim way down and doing one less pass to see if I can save them. It helped a lot tonight to run it at 5. 4 didn’t cut. We’ll go with 5 and see how it works out.

Proraso Blue cream and AV Ice Sport (will still be “almost gone” for the rest of the month, apparently) did their jobs without issue. Call it an 8 out of 10.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

As the seasons change, so do the soaps and after shaves-- same old GSB blade in the same old red tip Super Speed; but a long handled Zenith boar brush, Williams Mug Soap, and Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve after shave make their first appearances of the season. For many this is heresy, or at least a foolish statement, but experience hath shewn that Williams Mug Soap, apart from not being heavily perfumed, is every bit as good as the best triple milled soaps I own. Clubman Special Reserve is at least EdT strength- have to go easy on this one, but it is a classic cool weather splash with a complex scent that seems far beyond its price.
Still in!

Well, I almost made it. I know better than to check eBay but I couldn't help myself. I found a Schick Krona DE razor for $3.99, a gold Star DE for $2.99, and 20 King C. Gillette DE blades for $2.50. With shipping, all three were like $25. I know being inexpensive shouldn't justify breaking the GRUME but I was unable to pass up these bargains. I suppose I shall just have to try again in the future.

After a period of relative calm, we have another participant down.
Well, I almost made it. I know better than to check eBay but I couldn't help myself. I found a Schick Krona DE razor for $3.99, a gold Star DE for $2.99, and 20 King C. Gillette DE blades for $2.50. With shipping, all three were like $25. I know being inexpensive shouldn't justify breaking the GRUME but I was unable to pass up these bargains. I suppose I shall just have to try again in the future.
It's definitely understandable, considering the pricing. Of course, if you don't go looking, you won't find! In any case, please let us know when you get the goods and how you like them. Hopefully, they were worth bouncing from the GRUME. :)

As @Owen Bawn is fond of saying, you still have the opportunity to go 29-for-30 on the month. No need to let a stumble turn into a full-on face-plant; please feel free to continue to play along from home, post in the thread and carry on in the spirit of the GRUME. We'll hope to see you next month.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Stuart Ganis
3) rbscebu - out (9/2: Bay Rum AS)
4) @Roedeer
5) @sarir97
6) @henrickd - GRUYERE
7) @Sinnbad11
8) @JKar
9) Contact_vs_Feedback - out (9/18: Tallowbac)
10) @Doti B
11) @Multum in parvo
12) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
13) @Adam18
14) @Kyle89
15) @linty1
16) ‘Bout Time - out (9/17: T+S Shikoku)
17) @hopper_64
18) Albion - out (9/15: Claymore Evolution SE)
19) @12stones
20) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
21) @La Malice
22) @Herrenberg
23) SharpieB - out (9/18: Elite Shaving brushes)
24) @Dodger59
25) @Timeclo
26) @Tomo
27) @Owen Bawn
28) JCinPA - out (9/5: Blue Blade Bank)
29) @pdieten - GRUYERE
30) CJB3 - out (9/7: Tallowbac)
31) @FL shaver
32) srqshaver - out (9/23: eBay razors and blades)
33) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE

Owen Bawn

Still in! Probably the farthest I've gotten through a GRUME without having anything on a wish list.

Took the morning off to relax and finished up an early afternoon shave. It's officially Bay Rum season in my house.
Bay Rum indeed! I was just thinking this morning that its time to move the St Johns Lime Cologne to the rear and shift the bay rum to the front!

linty1

My wallet cries.
Have not done it myself but I did read about people using clear nail polish remover with good result.

It's also just a sticker, although I do understand your predicament.

I've seen that mentioned too. I was wondering if I could maybe drip some crazy glue over it and let it sorta cover it, and when it dried it would be pretty permanent/hardy.

Or maybe some 5 minute epoxy I have left over? Mix it, spread it as smooth as I could, then let it dry. Hopefully it would dry clear.... actually I don't know if it would.

Top Bottom