What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in
Back to what is currently my favorite razor, and with a good shave to keep its place in my line up.

I admit should my name be called for a titanium version of this that would be a real grume breaker for me. However, Jake and Ashley at Yates have stated the titanium version won't be released until 2021 so it appears that I'm safe until at least then.
20210921_203815.jpg

linty1

My wallet cries.
2238A58A-6A68-4370-841A-CC696DB711A3.jpeg

Still in.

You know what? I usually get knots in the 24-26mm range, but trying this 20mm knot and I really really like it. The keyhole shape is nice to hold and use. I'm just terrified of losing whats left of the sticker. But that 20mm size just really works well, reknot and set a little deeper than the original knot, which was super soft, but way, way too floppy/lofty.

Great shave.

Does anybody know what sort of clear coat to apply to protect the sticker? I've read that clear nail polish works? But I'm looking for a more permanent solution.... all else fails I may just ask Rudy to make me a copy and use that one. I really do like the shape/size.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S/R4
  • Nacet (24?)
  • Stirling Orange Chill/Omega Eucalyptus
  • Yaqi 24mm synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Orange Chill ASB
  • Stirling Bergamot Lavender AS
Continuing the trend of good shaves in a rushed environment. Strangely, the Yaqi is shedding a couple of hairs per shave, but it's a synthetic and easily replaced if necessary. Still, it's one of my favorite brushes and I don't like to see it suffer...

Onward!

View attachment 1332239

Still in.

You know what? I usually get knots in the 24-26mm range, but trying this 20mm knot and I really really like it. The keyhole shape is nice to hold and use. I'm just terrified of losing whats left of the sticker. But that 20mm size just really works well, reknot and set a little deeper than the original knot, which was super soft, but way, way too floppy/lofty.

Great shave.

Does anybody know what sort of clear coat to apply to protect the sticker? I've read that clear nail polish works? But I'm looking for a more permanent solution.... all else fails I may just ask Rudy to make me a copy and use that one. I really do like the shape/size.
While I'm very, very happy with the Rockwell 6S, I'm intrigued by this razor. I could dig through the thread to find where you listed what it is, but I'm a "path of least resistance" guy, so I'll just ask: what is it?

linty1

My wallet cries.
While I'm very, very happy with the Rockwell 6S, I'm intrigued by this razor. I could dig through the thread to find where you listed what it is, but I'm a "path of least resistance" guy, so I'll just ask: what is it?
Hey Brandon,

it is the aluminum general (from Colonial Razors) the handle was pretty plain, so I swapped it out for a titanium handle from Timeless. I was hoping the titanium would be similar to the aluminum in weight, and while it -is- lighter than stainless, it isn't as light as aluminum. But after a little getting used to, its actually very nice to use. I picked up the alum gen off of the bst, Colonial R still sells the stainless version I think, but it maybe be out of stock, I'm not sure.

Hope this helps!

Hey Brandon,

it is the aluminum general (from Colonial Razors) the handle was pretty plain, so I swapped it out for a titanium handle from Timeless. I was hoping the titanium would be similar to the aluminum in weight, and while it -is- lighter than stainless, it isn't as light as aluminum. But after a little getting used to, its actually very nice to use. I picked up the alum gen off of the bst, Colonial R still sells the stainless version I think, but it maybe be out of stock, I'm not sure.

Hope this helps!
Much appreciated - I think... :001_unsur

Still in & Today’s shave
Pre-shave: Warm face wash
Truefitt Pre-Shave oil
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Razor: Gillette Black Beauty (9)
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Soap: MWF
Post-Shave: Cold water rinse
Alum Block
Williams Acqua Velva AS Splash
TOBS Eaton College AS Cream
Trumper Astor Cologne

Wow forgot how much I love ‘The Fat’. Cracking shave with a new blade too. Few weepers this time 😩😩😩, but still a BBS shave never the less. TOBS aftershave cream this time instead of the old faithful Nivea one. Finished off with an autumnal scent of Astor Cologne by Trumper. Feeling good 😎😎😎😎
Nearly there

I admit should my name be called for a titanium version of this that would be a real grume breaker for me. However, Jake and Ashley at Yates have stated the titanium version won't be released until 2021 so it appears that I'm safe until at least then.

Well, I'm not going to be the one to tell him.

(Still in, just back from a trip, shaves coming soon. No shave today because I don't trust my jetlagged hands)

Normally the world is filled with temptations waiting to pull a GRUMEr off of the path. Rarely is there anything, other than credit card bills or full shelves, that pulls in the direction of restraint.

Catching up with the forum today, I spotted one such pull: high praise for the "4.3" formulation of Saponificio Varesino. Here I sit with maybe 5 tins of 4.2. No, I don't want to look and see exactly how many.

I figure I should get to try the 4.3 in about 4 years. If only I had been more restrained...

Top Bottom