What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in. First shave in over a week yesterday. Contemplated growing a beard for a bit but couldn’t take it anymore. It had to go!
Razor: Karve SB-D
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: 22mm SHD maggard re-knot
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: Haslinger Aloe Vera
A/S: AV Classic
0A30397A-A4F0-44D0-BA52-801B2F1A42EB.jpeg

What are the scent notes?
Well …… with T+S scents, that’s a tough question to answer. Here’s what they say:

“Introducing a Japanese-inspired scent showcasing unique citrus grown in the Ehime prefecture on Japan’s smallest main Island: Shikoku.

Featured prominently is the sweetness of a mandarin variety grown high in the hills of Japan for over 400 years: the mikan. Their growth is enchanted by the ocean breeze from the Uwakai Sea below and the sun above, before they are tenderly hand-picked from their terrace of trees by local farmers.

The brilliant visual displayed on the mountain-faces of Shikoku is one of green and orange, sprinkled with ripe yellow yuzu. A lush tree bears flavourful fruit with intense tanginess, the colder temperatures high in the Kochi mountains entice the refreshing acidity of the golden fruit to bloom.

Blended to enhance the exotic sweetness of the mikan and the bitter yuzu is the sour amanatsu - another of Japan’s well-respected brightly coloured citrus hybrids.

Closing the citrus fusion is iyokan - a tangerine / mandarin cross, with its fragrant subtly tart but deeply poignant fragrance - known to any who peel back its shiny thick skin. The tart hallmark of iyokan rounds out a stunning blend of rare citrus hand-delivered to North America straight from Japan.

This intense citrus blend is unified by the warm spice of Japanese shoga (ginger), the uplifting notes of sencha (green tea), and some very soft woodsy notes from two varieties of cedar: hiba and sugi.

Shikoku is an illuminating fragrance that ignites the sweetness of these striking citrus, presented in our fourth unique Japanese scent.

Mikan (31%) | Yuzu (24%) | Amanatsu (20%) | Iyokan (12%) | Hiba (5%) | Shoga (3%) | Sencha (3%) | Sugi (2%) | 100% natural aromatic extracts from botanicals.”

…….and ………. It’s already sold out.

Day 18, 60% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 OC, Astra SP #6
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Stayed with the open comb, did a thorough 2-pass, and got an excellent result with no irritation.

If I could only keep one Game Changer, I'd have a hard time choosing between this and the safety bar .68.

Still Out.

RazoRock Lupo 95
Gillette Nacet
RazoRock Puros
RazoRock Beehive
Witch Hazel and Clubman Pinaud as aftershave

IMG_20210919_153359.jpg

I'm starting to understand how to best use my shaving aquisitions.

The Clubman Pinaud shaving cream is a lucky addition for me. I use it as pre shave cream sometimes and now when Monsoon is taking a break and dryness is felt in skin, I'm using it as aftershave balm.

It worked very well and bonus - I like it's smell.

Nacet has smoothed very well and right now it can either go for another shave or in the bin. I'll use it with the Wunderbar in next shave.

My Lupo 95 is going on a trip to another wet shaver so that he can try it before purchasing it new.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Lovely late night Italian shave last night (Saturday). A new Gillette Silver Blue blade in the red tip Super Speed; a big floppy Zenith boar brush with a healthy portion of Proraso 'green' cream squirted right into the wet knot and then face lathered; a little Proraso 'blue' balm, and a splash of green Proraso after shave. Another splash of Proraso after my shower this morning and now it's off to church.
Still in restraint.

Still in! Another so-so shave with the iKon X3 and a new BIC Chromium Platinum blade. Despite really light pressure and only a 2-pass CCS, still some minor irritation. Perhaps it’s the sharp blade? Do slants perform better with milder blades?
Feather blade in my Wunderbar doesn't give me very smooth shave, on the contrary it may give me only 2 good shaves and dies.

With Wunderbar (and other double slants) I think a blade with some smoothness property like Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, Nacet, Shark Super Chrome and even Voshkhod (it lacks any bite at all) works better for me with Wunderbar.

A less sharp blade than Bic but having smoother quality may give a better shave.

Feather blade in my Wunderbar doesn't give me very smooth shave, on the contrary it may give me only 2 good shaves and dies.

With Wunderbar (and other double slants) I think a blade with some smoothness property like Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, Nacet, Shark Super Chrome and even Voshkhod (it lacks any bite at all) works better for me with Wunderbar.

A less sharp blade than Bic but having smoother quality may give a better shave.

Thanks! I thought a blade that was sharp was by necessity smooth because it would cut and not tug?
Are Nacets smooth and sharp?
I have much to learn about DEs… [mention]thombrogan [/mention]

Thanks! I thought a blade that was sharp was by necessity smooth because it would cut and not tug?
Are Nacets smooth and sharp?
I have much to learn about DEs… [mention]thombrogan [/mention]
Nacet (for me) is definitely smoother than Feather and Bic blades. It is less sharp than these two blades but Nacet maintains smoothness in shave very well.

I too am new to this and have used and tested just about 20 different blades and have found that -

Feather blade - Game Changer 84 Open Comb, Lupo 95

Shark Super Chrome - Lupo 95, Wunderbar

Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum - RazoRock BBS, Wunderbar, Game Changer 84 Open Comb

Nacet - Lupo 95, Wunderbar (only used in these two razors yet)

Sharp blade doesn't necessarily mean that it will be smooth, sometimes due to more blade exposure of the razor we feel the bite of the blade more, that is why it may feel less smooth.

It is very subjective and trying different blades may be the best way to go forward.

I found that some blades work very well with one or two razors and not very well with others, so I purchase blades which work well with two or more of my razors (as shown above).

Top Bottom