What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

Razor: Yaqi Slant
Blade: Astra SP (6)
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip 21mm
Lather: Palmolive Classic Cream
Aftershave: Fine Platinum

IMG-3375.jpg

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water splash
Lather: Simpsons Lime
Brush: Black/Tan Beagle Bulb
Razor: 1950s Gillette Ball Handle Tech
Blade: Wilkinson sword classic (3)
Post-shave: Cold water,alum block and Fuar Ach Snog

20210918_095844.jpg

Another day another "what shall I shave with today" dilemma. I have opted for the lightweight but surprisingly effective ball handle Tech, as my face doesn't have much stubble but I want a bbs face without irritation. I am pleased to report that the Tech has achieved this goal. :shaving: :thumbup:

Now after that little victory I think I shall celebrate with some breakfast and a quality mug of tea. :cuppa:

I'm out.

I love Tabac and try as much I could, the thought of loosing the opportunity to grab some refills was too saddening.

So I ordered a Tabac stick, refill and some soap refills.

After getting the Tabac soaps, I'm feeling the need to procure some floral and lightly scented soaps - that will keep me busy.

I'm in the stage of preparing an year round soap rotation, mostly done for Winter and early Summer but needs some additional help with soaps suitable for Monsoon.

Still in. A so-so shave today, 2-pass only with an iKon X3 slant and BIC Chrome Platinum blade (3), causing some mild irritation. Could’ve been the Stirling preshave soap, could’ve been the blade, or my technique. Blade binned. Redo tomorrow without the preshave soap.

On a different topic, what’s the GRUME policy on placing a deposit on a razor to secure it until end of the month? Is that considered cheating? It feels that way, a little bit.

Is the BST section here my best bet or are there other places you suggest? I don't have a lot of gear to swap at the moment but I agree that this makes the most sense instead of buying everything new.
You could offer your trades up here if you prefer. It's encouraged by the rules and some of us (me for example) are here because our dens are too large. There's a good chance someone here might have the item you're interested in.

This restraint is for September 1-30, 2021.

If you're seeing this late and you've made no purchases in September, feel free to jump in. Registration closes on the 15th.

Have what you need and use what you have: that is our definition of "Restraint". The idea is to use, learn about and enjoy what you have, restraining yourself from making frivolous purchases.

This monthly restraint is perfect for those who have failed the yearly or quarterly sabbatical and want to curb their ADs. Keep fighting the urges! If you fail out of the GRUME, please tell the group, take your (friendly) lumps and continue to play along at home.

There will be roll calls during the restraint. Check-ins, especially with SOTD info and pics, are encouraged and mutual support is appreciated. :)

All are welcome!

Rules:

1.a. If you were in the August GRUME, 9/1 is your restock date for any needed product (i.e., it's not an excuse for treewhaling).
1.b. If you were not in the August GRUME, you do not get a restock date in September; plan ahead and see Rule 1.c., below.
1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.

2. No personal shaving purchases in September. Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle (PIF or Gifting). Members are not allowed to request any form of compensation in return, nor are they allowed to sample or test those gift items.

3.a. GIFT cards (including eBay bucks, Amazon gift cards, credit card reward points, etc.) cannot be redeemed for shaving items, even if the cards were purchased and/or received in previous months.
3.b. The "Birthday Rule": Members are not allowed to ask for (or even hint at) shaving gear as gifts for any occasion.

4. Any shaving-related services, like replating or restorations, cannot be arranged or paid for in the month of the restraint if they are not strictly necessary.

5. You are encouraged to engage in trades (especially with each other), but don't enter any PIFs. Signing up for a product waitlist (without placing a deposit) is acceptable.

6. If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on the rules above.

Exceptions:

1. Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to restraints commitments, please limit B&B purchases to one (1) shaving item per month, including contributions to B&B! (All Non-Shaving B&B items are fair game.)

2. During the season, Sue Moore Items are all exempt from the-no buying rules. Treewhaling on anything Sue Moore-related is encouraged.

3. Members who are in a Quarterly or Yearly sabbatical are allowed to exercise their documented exceptions for those events without failing the monthly restraint.

Mods:

Please leave this thread in the General Shaving Discussion forum until September 15th so we can get as many as possible to see the GRUME. Afterwards, feel free to move the thread to Brotherhoods and Clubs. Thanks!

Tips:

Check out this Wiki article for tips on how to survive a Restraint (or GRUME). It includes a comprehensive checklist to help you figure out whether you've got everything you need for the month.
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Help:...ve_a_Restraint

How to Join:

Copy the entire list below
and add your number and name to the bottom. Also, you are welcome to update your signature to show you are in the restraint; for example, "GRUME - [Month] 2020 #1". To do so, click Settings at the top of the forum and then click Edit Signature on the left.

1) FoolishMortal
2)
3)

I'm not master of my own domain unfortunately.

I'm out.

I love Tabac and try as much I could, the thought of loosing the opportunity to grab some refills was too saddening.

So I ordered a Tabac stick, refill and some soap refills.

After getting the Tabac soaps, I'm feeling the need to procure some floral and lightly scented soaps - that will keep me busy.

I'm in the stage of preparing an year round soap rotation, mostly done for Winter and early Summer but needs some additional help with soaps suitable for Monsoon.
Buh-bye. I’m out.

I have wanted a larimar rock brush handle from Elite forever and Bob doesn’t ship to Canada and I can’t get to my US PO Box because of COVID.

Larimar and Jade Elites went on BST for stupid cheap and I caved.

See you in Oct!
Wow - when it rains, it pours! I definitely understand the FOMO driving each of your decisions. It sounds to me like these, while perhaps not "grail"-level items, are items that you have considered strongly and will use. In that way, it's almost a restock...but not really. :|

And so, when two more brothers fall, it's time (again) for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Stuart Ganis
3) rbscebu - out (9/2: Bay Rum AS)
4) @Roedeer
5) @sarir97
6) @henrickd - GRUYERE
7) @Sinnbad11
8) @JKar
9) Contact_vs_Feedback - out (9/18: Tallowbac)
10) @Doti B
11) @Multum in parvo
12) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
13) @Adam18
14) @Kyle89
15) @linty1
16) ‘Bout Time - out (9/17: T+S Shikoku)
17) @hopper_64
18) Albion - out (9/15: Claymore Evolution SE)
19) @12stones
20) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
21) @La Malice
22) @Herrenberg
23) SharpieB - out (9/18: Elite Shaving brushes)
24) @Dodger59
25) @Timeclo
26) @Tomo
27) @Owen Bawn
28) JCinPA - out (9/5: Blue Blade Bank)
29) @pdieten - GRUYERE
30) CJB3 - out (9/7: Tallowbac)
31) @FL shaver
32) @srqshaver
33) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE

Is the BST section here my best bet or are there other places you suggest? I don't have a lot of gear to swap at the moment but I agree that this makes the most sense instead of buying everything new.
You could offer your trades up here if you prefer. It's encouraged by the rules and some of us (me for example) are here because our dens are too large. There's a good chance someone here might have the item you're interested in.
Well, @srqshaver, you could "mention" what you're looking for here, as @Sinnbad11 said, and a member may send an IM. You can also do what I did, which is post a "WTT" thread in the BST, clearly indicating what you're hoping to acquire and giving an idea of what you might have to trade. Keep in mind that you don't have to trade shaving-for-shaving; if you have other items that may be of interest to people in the Haberdashery or Nib subforums, list those as trade-bait, too.

Good luck!

So much for playing along at home. Had I been in, I'd be out after succumbing to a brush drop. Resin, bocote, and fossilized mammoth ivory.

Someone asked for pictures of the brush I couldn't pass up...

A collaboration between Heritage Fossils and Rob of Chisel & Hound. Resin, Zircote, and fossilized mammoth ivory. 26mm, V11 knot.
PXL_20210918_233938982.jpg
PXL_20210918_234024734.jpg

So pleased, but now I'm torn on whether to use it or tuck it away to keep it all "purty" .

Well, @srqshaver, you could "mention" what you're looking for here, as @Sinnbad11 said, and a member may send an IM. You can also do what I did, which is post a "WTT" thread in the BST, clearly indicating what you're hoping to acquire and giving an idea of what you might have to trade. Keep in mind that you don't have to trade shaving-for-shaving; if you have other items that may be of interest to people in the Haberdashery or Nib subforums, list those as trade-bait, too.

Good luck!
I’ll have to give some thought to what I’ve got to trade but thanks for the excellent advice. 👍

Top Bottom