What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I even fail this GRUME playing at home. This Bengall ¾ was offered to me at a price that I could not refuse.

s-l400.jpg

s-l400(1).jpg
This will be my 2nd Bendall ¾. I will include it in my coming M7DS with my other Bengall ¾ as the weekend razors. Now I only have to find two more ⅝ Bengalls to complete the set.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Red tip Super Speed; Gillette Silver Blue blade; butterscotch Beagle bulb; Razorock XXX 'Fresco' soap and after shave; and two wee squirts of Acqua di Parma Colonia. A cool, relaxing Saturday shave. Off now to do the shopping and to visit the public library, then an afternoon of grilling and my college football team on the telly.

Still in!

Still in.

Let's leave yesterday's shave in the forgotten category, shall we? Oh, it was an excellent shave, close, comfortable, no cuts, less complaint from the alum than any prior Big Razor Month shave. So what's not to like? Soap fail. I have a container of Mike's Lime that served me very, very well until it developed a huge hole and became just a thick coating on the sides. Never got a decent lather from it since that happened. Ok, fine, so I scooped a generous amount out, pressed it into the ridges of my bowl, and tried to make lather. It was awful. Hundreds of whirls produced a meager, thin lather. The razor wanted to stick constantly. I don't know what I am doing wrong. But when I rinsed the bowl and pressed some of a sample of WCS duck fat soap into those same ridges, I got great, copious, slick lather. Very confusing.

Compounding that was an effect that I expected during my first Big Razor shave, but it only arrived on the third day: the razor felt awkward and unfamiliar in my hand. This same razor has not done that before.

Let's just call that a bad day, and move on to today, which was a triumph. And why shouldn't it have been? I saved the best for last in my rotation of 4 Big Razors, the new-Production Iwasaki tamahagane that took me out of a GRUME with all the ferocity of a tornado relocating a cow.
1630807076440.jpeg

Deadly keen edge produced super-close shave. Beautiful and very functional badger brush spread superb lather on my face, it was a happy shave, and made me forget yesterday's debacle.

A word about soap: I am starting to fear that my shave soap perspective is narrowing to the point where all I need around is SV and Mitchell's Wool Fat. I guess I'll have to make myself use the others.

Still in. Wedding attendance shave. Head shave and beard trim only.

Usual travel kit.

Gillette Tech w/Voskhod (1 and done)
Simpson Wee Scot
PAA Diver Down stick
Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel

The most interesting part about my shave wasn’t actually my shave. I’m at my sister’s cabin and was sitting on their ****ter, I glanced into their tub and noticed some girlie DE. It was pink so I’m assuming it’s my sister’s. That’s Claire’s mom, the hippy niece that stalks me on the GRUME threads so she can make fun of me at holidays. She’s a DE/Leaf shaver.

They all went to the wedding dance. Mom and I stayed at the cabin to read/me drink beer. I’ll ask Sis about the razor when she gets home if she’s sober and I’m still awake.

Last edited:
Day 4, 13.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #4
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

A quick shave with the Game Changer, including ATG, and didn't suffer any consequences for my haste. I don't think I would try that with the .84 plate, though.

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water splash
Lather: Muhle Sandalwood shaving stick
Brush: Simpsons Classic C1 Synthetic
Razor: Gillette Old Type 1921-1928
Blade: Wilkinson sword classic (3)
Post-shave: Cold water, Styptic pencil and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

Just a 2 pass wtg & xtg shave this morning but it was still a good shave. The old type shaved me just as close as the 34c, however it did give me a weeper as a reminder that I shouldn't shave with it as quickly as I do with the 34c.

As I was shaving in the Locker room at work I managed to impress one of my cartridge shaving colleagues who was amazed by the sound of how quickly I was shaving. He was also impressed by my 100 year old razor. Probably not enough to actually take up de shaving but still it is nice to know that a cartridge shaver thinks I shave quickly, I thought that I was going at a moderate speed. :straight:

Still in - last shave of 7 o’clock week, DFS
First time that the Mixed Midget was not downright uncomfortable. I prebuilt the lather in the bowl and finished by facelathering.
Pro: the scritch was ok even though I swirled a fair amount whilst facelathering
Con: it lost 5 bristles during the shave
B859A417-A9A8-43A5-A5E5-54A1CD669ECA.jpeg

Top Bottom