What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

1st shave of the month
Pre-Shave: Warm face wash
Razor: Merkur Mergress (1)
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Soap: D R Harris Windsor
Post-Shave: Alum Block
D R Harris Windsor AS Splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB
Revisited the Mergress after what seemed like an age. Excellent decision as was rewarded with a BBS shave with very minimal touch ups after a 3 pass shave. More blade feel than the Rockwell 6 series but same pleasing result 😎😎😎😎
Stay safe everyone 👍🏻👍🏻

Just past midnight here, listened to the end of the ball game and grabbed a shower and shave before bed.

39EF915F-4300-48FD-B2FD-48AD80F530EF.jpeg
Was nice to use something other than Arko and Sharks today for the first time in a month.

Slim with Russian Gillette Super Stainless. Vintage Made Rite Catalin handle with 2-band badger knot. Van Der Hagen Luxury in a Surrey-made mug. And AV Ice Sport.

I should have taken a longer shower to hydrate my beard a bit more. Great shave otherwise though.

1st shave of the month

Method: Wtg & xtg x2, skin stretching
Pre-Shave: hot water splash
Lather: Simpsons Lime
Brush: Anbbas Synthetic
Razor: 1950s Gillette Flare tip Rocket
Blade: Wilkinson sword classic (4)
Post-shave: Hot and cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

Well my Rocket may not take me to outer space, but it did take my face to various levels of dfs. My cheeks are on the verge of being considered bbs and the rest of my face is regular dfs. So far my break from atg shaving is going well.

First shave of the month.

36 hour dwell
Williams Mug Soap
RR Synthetic Brush
Merkur 34C
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (4)
Lucky Tiger

DF 2 pass shave with minor touch up under the nose and jaw line. Trying not to over think it and keep things simple, yet enjoyable. Packing for a 2 week business trip and thinking about what kit to take. First extended business trip since Covid started after traveling heavily for 35 years. Only one destination, and domestic at that, so it's a good way to break back in.

Peace.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S/R4
  • Nacet (17?)
  • ARKO!
  • SOC Taj Resin
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Orange Chill ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
One last shave with Arko before letting it dry and putting it away for a while - maybe until next August. At this rate, I should be done with it in about five years...

I didn't really shave a lot during August, perhaps every other day on average. To be sure, back-to-back shaving days were rare. Things have been nutty with returning to the office, summer work (and the required transportation) for my teenage son and then his return to high school, his soccer schedule, training our new-to-us third dog, and a lot more, including a COVID scare with my team.

All this meant getting less sleep than I would like and often choosing to hit "snooze" to grab another 7 minutes of shut-eye rather than jumping out of bed to get rolling. I'm finding that shaves are still enjoyable - much more so than in the before-times - but more pedestrian than in the recent past because I'm perpetually rushed.

This, too, shall pass.

Onward!

Still in.

First shave of Big Razor Month, with my first Big Razor.
1630533480129.jpeg

I didn't get ambitious with the neck hollows, but I really tried to keep a light touch, which takes a lot more doing with this 15/16" behemoth than it does with a 5/8". Got a darned good shave, with a touch of alum burn in a couple of places where I didn't quite succeed in keeping it light.

The heavy razor didn't feel completely natural in my hand, but closer than I expected. With luck, it will only get better from here.

If it’s not too late, I’m in too:
1) FoolishMortal
2) stuartganis
3) rbscebu
4) Roedeer
5) sarir97
6) henrickd - GRUYERE
7) Sinnbad11
8) JKar
9) Contact_vs_Feedback
10) Doti B
11) Multum in parvo