What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in
Broke out my custom Ti Blackbird for the first shave of the month. Glorious shave, and I smell incredible. I love Bootlegger's Bay Rum and it looks really cool in this vintage glass.
20210901_215325.jpg

Last edited:
Day 1, 3.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Lather: Boots Cool Cologne Shave Cream
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid, Brut AS.

Like Arko, the in-shave performance of this cream is good. BBS face, smooth neck, and no blade abrasion. The scent is mild and self-effacing.

It gives me a dry and slightly irritated post-shave effect (like Arko but more obvious), which is why it's been getting neglected.

5C94AB23-F70E-42EF-B607-0A1149DB4A02.jpeg

My recent foray into the world of MdC has me reevaluating my other soaps. Among it’s other amazing properties, I’m particularly impressed by the way that you can keep adding water to MdC without it going runny or dripping down the razor. At breaking point the lather thins slightly but it never goes runny.

It was a different story with my Nuavia this morning. This one is sensitive to water content and threatens to turn into a runny mess if you go even a few drops over the optimum water content. If there’s one thing I can’t stand it’s runny lather. I think this soaps days are numbered.

Last edited:
If it’s not too late, I’m in too:
1) FoolishMortal
2) stuartganis
3) rbscebu
4) Roedeer
5) sarir97
6) henrickd - GRUYERE
7) Sinnbad11
8) JKar
9) Contact_vs_Feedback
10) Doti B
11) Multum in parvo
12) Heavy_Metal_Hound
13) Adam18
14) Kyle89
15) linty1
16) ‘Bout Time
17) hopper_64
18) Albion
19) 12Stones
20) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
21) La Malice
22) Herrenberg
23) SharpieB
24) Dodger59
25) Timeclo
26) Tomo
27) Owen Bawn
28) JCinPA
29) pdieten - GRUYERE
30) CJB3
You have until the 15th, so you made it...barely. :letterk1:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm out.

This morning I absentmindedly ordered a 1 litre bottle of Bay Rum. I didn't need it as I don't expect to run out until October. I just thought that I would order it while I remembered.

I'll play along at home and see how I go.

Respectfully out this month, I need to buy some more SR paraphernalia, honing pastes and strop materials, probably more razors.
I'll also buy some tallow Tabac which is in abundance in Australia. I'm hoping to hold onto that special Tabac for a while and sell it back for substantial profit, I heard it's appreciating in value like bitcoin because there is a finite supply.

Day 2? Why not just cancel this from the order and stick with it? Your contributions here would be very welcome and bring enjoyment to others. I'm sure someone this side of the Pacific can pif you something? I'll happily send some new/sealed Thayers WH which I have overstocked.

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water splash
Lather: Simpsons Lime
Brush: B&B Beagle, black and tan bulb
Razor: Merkur 34c hd
Blade: Wilkinson sword classic (1)
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

Another good dfs shave, this time delivered by my 34c which hasn't received much attention in a while.

I'm out.

This morning I absentmindedly ordered a 1 litre bottle of Bay Rum. I didn't need it as I don't expect to run out until October. I just thought that I would order it while I remembered.

I'll play along at home and see how I go.
Well, dang. As @mattps1 said, you could cancel the order, in which case I'll happily update the list. Until then...

...when a brother falls, even due to an order placed by mental auto-pilot, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Stuart Ganis
3) rbscebu - out (9/2: Bay Rum AS)
4) @Roedeer
5) @sarir97
6) @henrickd - GRUYERE
7) @Sinnbad11
8) @JKar
9) @Contact_vs_Feedback
10) @Doti B
11) @Multum in parvo
12) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
13) @Adam18
14) @Kyle89
15) @linty1
16) @‘Bout Time
17) @hopper_64
18) @Albion
19) @12stones
20) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
21) @La Malice
22) @Herrenberg
23) @SharpieB
24) @Dodger59
25) @Timeclo
26) @Tomo
27) @Owen Bawn
28) @JCinPA
29) @pdieten - GRUYERE
30) @CJB3

It just occurred to me that last September was the first time I attempted this. Up to then, I was pretty out of control.

I failed last September …… and then again in October. Succeeded in November and then failed again in December.

But I’ve succeeded each month since then. Restocked some balm back in March, and an alum block plus barber towels (my wife insisted the ones I was using were shot) yesterday.

Really appreciate this process. Delightful when I 3017 something.

Will likely take November off to get some fun new stuff to try ………. hopefully on sale. But maybe not. We’ll see.

I'm getting better at avoiding the websites and other sources of deals on soaps.

From this month I'll be setting up a few goals for the month since the effort needed to avoid purchasing has reduced with the improvements in my restraint (or so I think).

I'll have to find an excellent pair of blades to match with the Lupo 95 and get more shaves with the Kamisori.

I've decided to get 3 shaves with the Kamisori per 7 shaves and rest of the shaves will be with Lupo 95 and occasional Wunderbar because it's "Slantember" month as well.

Since I'll be using the top of the line razors in efficiency, there could be gaps in shaves as I've already dialed down my shaves to alternate day shaves.

And of course, it's a pleasure being with you all Gentlemen.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Some advice to newcomers that I and others have found helpful:
1. Unsubscribe or at least mute emails, tweets, facebook posts, or texts from vendors. You can resubscribe or follow them again when this is over.
2. Stay away from vendors' sites. Why would you hang around shaving merchants' online shops if you're trying to avoid temptation?
3. Same goes for Amazon. Fine to visit that site if you want a book or some Yorkshire Tea or something, but there's no need to see what the Chubby 2 in Super is selling for today.
4. It should go without saying that eBay is no friend to a man in restraint either. We all know you have some shaving items in your "Watch List." Clean 'em outta there.
5. While many have found the GRUME threads helpful, the fact is that for many of us B&B and other shaving boards are minefields. Stay away from the BST and the merchants' forums. Also, I've found looking at SOTD photos can be a source of temptation. One might say that coming here to get purchasing under control is akin to heading down the pub each night in order to keep from drinking. If the temptation is too great, limit yourself to this thread. Just for today. It won't be like this forever.
6. If you are tempted to the point of actually shopping, and you can't resist, try adding the item(s) to your shopping cart and leaving them there overnight. Things often look different in the morning.
7. Most items are offered at sale prices many times a year. If someone is offering Proraso at 2 tubes for $12, you don't need to buy it today. I guarantee that Proraso will still be available in October, and that someone will have it at a discount price. If someone posts how much they like Clubman, and you're intrigued, relax. Clubman's been around since the Last Supper. It'll still be here next month.
8. Take a look at all the stuff you already own. Many of us find that after some time in restraint we appreciate what we already have more than we ever thought possible. I know that my enjoyment of many of my brushes, soaps, etc was often tarnished by a tinge of guilt or anxiety because I knew secretly that I was out of control...
9. For that matter, if you think your lack of control is a 'secret,' ask your wife if she suspects it. I used to resent my wife for pointing out what I didn't want to admit. But that's changed. When my 2 Beagle brushes arrived I didn't race to the mailbox to beat her so I could hide them. You may call me 'whipped,' but I think I'm finally free.

10. If this message has been a blessing to you, send your tithes, offerings, and gifts of love to me via paypal in a DM.

Some advice to newcomers that I and others have found helpful:
1. Unsubscribe or at least mute emails, tweets, facebook posts, or texts from vendors. You can resubscribe or follow them again when this is over.
2. Stay away from vendors' sites. Why would you hang around shaving merchants' online shops if you're trying to avoid temptation?
3. Same goes for Amazon. Fine to visit that site if you want a book or some Yorkshire Tea or something, but there's no need to see what the Chubby 2 in Super is selling for today.
4. It should go without saying that eBay is no friend to a man in restraint either. We all know you have some shaving items in your "Watch List." Clean 'em outta there.
5. While many have found the GRUME threads helpful, the fact is that for many of us B&B and other shaving boards are minefields. Stay away from the BST and the merchants' forums. Also, I've found looking at SOTD photos can be a source of temptation. One might say that coming here to get purchasing under control is akin to heading down the pub each night in order to keep from drinking. If the temptation is too great, limit yourself to this thread. Just for today. It won't be like this forever.
6. If you are tempted to the point of actually shopping, and you can't resist, try adding the item(s) to your shopping cart and leaving them there overnight. Things often look different in the morning.
7. Most items are offered at sale prices many times a year. If someone is offering Proraso at 2 tubes for $12, you don't need to buy it today. I guarantee that Proraso will still be available in October, and that someone will have it at a discount price. If someone posts how much they like Clubman, and you're intrigued, relax. Clubman's been around since the Last Supper. It'll still be here next month.
8. Take a look at all the stuff you already own. Many of us find that after some time in restraint we appreciate what we already have more than we ever thought possible. I know that my enjoyment of many of my brushes, soaps, etc was often tarnished by a tinge of guilt or anxiety because I knew secretly that I was out of control...
9. For that matter, if you think your lack of control is a 'secret,' ask your wife if she suspects it. I used to resent my wife for pointing out what I didn't want to admit. But that's changed. When my 2 Beagle brushes arrived I didn't race to the mailbox to beat her so I could hide them. You may call me 'whipped,' but I think I'm finally free.

10. If this message has been a blessing to you, send your tithes, offerings, and gifts of love to me via paypal in a DM.
Rearranging and cleaning stuff is:
a) relaxing
b) gives you time to contemplate new combinations
and lastly c) evokes a feeling of appreciation for what you have.

If you follow up with a look at your accumulated software and how long it will take to make a dent into your hoard the feeling of needing new stuff is suddenly vastly diminished.

Last edited:
Top Bottom