What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Can you please post a pic of a low structure lather?
Is this soapy runny or not much air in it and dense?
OK, try to be gentle as this is my first attempt at showing lather, that too of a soap that is not yet understood by me.

Lupo 95
Voshkhod
Geo F Trumper Violets
RazoRock 400 Special Edition
Alum and Witch Hazel

IMG_20210910_114454.jpg

This is the photo of 1st pass lather and it seems to be weak, almost airy and it is actually 2nd attempt at lathering as 1st lather dissipated but left ample slickness.

This lather is what was used for 1st pass, I honestly didn't expect much protection from it and definitely alum burn but it baffles me as it somehow gave a smooth shave, no alum burn at all!

The consequent passes (total 3 pass) had more structured lather but marginally more denser than this, they were a bit more pasty, but definitely nowhere near the Stirling, heck even William's give more 'rich' lather than this, but GFT has somehow made their soap very slick.

I'm working on it and improving the lathering process and it is definitely a 'Scientific process' to lathering this soap, this much is clear.

OK, try to be gentle as this is my first attempt at showing lather, that too of a soap that is not yet understood by me.

Lupo 95
Voshkhod
Geo F Trumper Violets
RazoRock 400 Special Edition
Alum and Witch Hazel

View attachment 1325746

This is the photo of 1st pass lather and it seems to be weak, almost airy and it is actually 2nd attempt at lathering as 1st lather dissipated but left ample slickness.

This lather is what was used for 1st pass, I honestly didn't expect much protection from it and definitely alum burn but it baffles me as it somehow gave a smooth shave, no alum burn at all!

The consequent passes (total 3 pass) had more structured lather but marginally more denser than this, they were a bit more pasty, but definitely nowhere near the Stirling, heck even William's give more 'rich' lather than this, but GFT has somehow made their soap very slick.

I'm working on it and improving the lathering process and it is definitely a 'Scientific process' to lathering this soap, this much is clear.
so "low structure" means non-opaque/thin...
I'll try to take a pic of my typical lather but going by this, mine is fatty/dense?

so "low structure" means non-opaque/thin...
I'll try to take a pic of my typical lather but going by this, mine is fatty/dense?
Yes, that is true by my understanding also.

This lather forms a very thin, translucent but slippery layer and gives glide to the razor as opposed to the glide and cushion from the other soaps especially tallow based soaps.

Hydration window seems to be very small and initial lather is unusable, as I work on it, the lather formed later on gives more consistent results.

Smell is ok, nothing to write home about.

Yes, that is true by my understanding also.

This lather forms a very thin, translucent but slippery layer and gives glide to the razor as opposed to the glide and cushion from the other soaps especially tallow based soaps.

Hydration window seems to be very small and initial lather is unusable, as I work on it, the lather formed later on gives more consistent results.

Smell is ok, nothing to write home about.
Still in - DFS+ shave with the FOCS, Ladas, Vitos Tabacco, SOC Boar and Lavish Care Exotic Spices AS.
Maybe it was the fiddling with the cam but todays lather was a bit more airy as usual, nevertheless some pics...

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

Still in - DFS+ shave with the FOCS, Ladas, Vitos Tabacco, SOC Boar and Lavish Care Exotic Spices AS.
Maybe it was the fiddling with the cam but todays lather was a bit more airy as usual, nevertheless some pics...

View attachment 1325761
View attachment 1325762
View attachment 1325763
View attachment 1325764

That's a very evenly textured lather.
My lather with GFT is nowhere near here and there is a lot of scope to improve my lathering process.

I'll use my boar brush next time, it couldn't get any worse that what I'm getting, lol.
Hydration in GFT needs tinkering.

If your lather is considered a low structure lather then I think the lather from GFT should be considered the slick, soapy layer achieved from brushless creams, only difference is with GFT it needs brush to make it usable.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Something is wrong with your life if you are having a "rushed" shave at 4.15 in the morning, but that's been my life this week. Having a hard time adjusting to post-lockdown life. Give me Zoom from the LazyBoy all day long. I learned in the lockdown that there are two types of people in this world... and that I don't want to be around either of them...

So back to the rushed shave at 4.15. Face lathered Arko with my Simpsons Duke 3 synthetic, a Gillette Silver Blue on shave 6 or 7 in the red tip Super Speed, and a big splash of St Johns West Indian Lime Cologne to finish. Still in, and relaxing in my office with the door closed.

Still in. First shave with the Vector Ti. It is ridiculously light, in my hands weighing the same as the Henson AL13. The shave experience was classic SS Vector: an efficient, effortless shave made possible due to a perfect, nimble razor, just lighter and therefore easier grip. Worth the cost of entry? Not to me. I prefer some heft to my razors, and the Vector Ti is just too light.

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water splash
Lather: Simpsons Lime
Brush: Anbbas Synthetic
Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Wilkinson sword Classic (1)
Post-shave: Cold water, Alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

I would not usually do a 3 pass wtg, xtg & atg shave the day after a 3 pass shavette shave but it was my girlfriends birthday so I made an exception... Even if it gave me minor irritation and lots of Alum feedback.

I'll think I'll have a shave break tomorrow to let my skin recover.

Still in.

I will not humiliate myself by describing the hideous shortcomings of the eBay razor that arrived from Latvia today, nor my inexcusable rationalizations of the picture in the listing that led me to waste money on it. What I can say, is that this is souring me on shave-related purchases, which can only be a good thing for my GRUME success.

I will not humiliate myself by describing the hideous shortcomings of the eBay razor that arrived from Latvia today, nor my inexcusable rationalizations of the picture in the listing that led me to waste money on it.

As I sit in my shop where I’ve been banished to smoke cigars, drink beer, drink whiskey, cuss, chew tobacco, practice my bagpipes “until I don’t suck,” and now and then work on actual things…the funniest quote I’ve heard in recent memory. Thanks for that. SEE ABOVE.

Still in restraint.

Edit: been there, done that

Last edited:
Day 10, 33.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R4, Personna #5
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

For a lazy autopilot shave, I was pleased to get an irritation-free DFS+.

The soap delivered yet another 'final' shave, but I'd better put "make new Palmolive puck" on my to-do list.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Gillette Silver Blue blade, shave #7 or 8 in the red tip Super Speed. Black/brown Beagle fan brush; Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme soap and a little after shave balm of the same name; 3 spritzes of Floris No. 89. No amount of money could have provided a better or more satisfying shave. And I'm still in restraint.

Still in

Yesterday’s shave:
Barbasol
Gillette SkinGuard (5)
KCG
Gillette 7 O’clock green (3)
Lather and Wood Sandalwood balm

One pass with the SkinGuard was so poor I added a second pass with the KCG. That did the trick.

Watching an Honor Guard move down the line at the airport. Traveling on 9/11 creates a variety of emotions. 20 years ago today I was in Korea when it all went down.

Peace

linty1

My wallet cries.
F7502509-0202-490B-B05D-EDE4DCC5FBF9.jpeg

Still in.

I think I mentioned this before, but back to work is doing -wonders- to keep me in Grume. The Simpson brush issue is still waiting a resolution, although I -think- things will work out. The Duke 3 in best.... its a good all around but for some reason I don't reach for it often. Maybe thats just it, its just sorta.. ok at everything and I reach for other brushes with a distinctive something more often.

Top Bottom