What's new

September 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in. SOTD - 07 SEP 2021

SOTD 09072021.jpg

Decent shave with the test soap. I love the soft and dense feel from the Semogue OC boar. Last shave with the injector for a while.

Still in

Method: Wtg, xtg
Pre-Shave: hot water splash
Lather: Simpsons Lime
Brush: Beagle Black and tan bulb
Razor: The Frankenrazor*
Blade: Wilkinson sword classic (1)
Post-shave: cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food
Results: Dfs, cheeks almost bbs, one lil cut

The Frankenrazor has given me a good shave. It is a little top heavy owing to the combination of heavy head and lightweight handle, but the blade gap & exposure means that I could really feel the blade. It was a close and smooth shave that after the second pass left me with no desire to chase bbs instead it has left me satisfied with dfs.

In a future shave I may try it with my R89 handle to see what difference it makes, but overall I'm happy with this Razor.

* Executive Shaving Company Braveheart head with Razor Emporium replica Ball end Handle
IMG_20210908_110410.jpg

Still in

48 hour dwell
Shannon's Black Magic hand applied
KCG
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (3)
Lather and Wood Sandalwood AS balm

Still on the road and in a hotel. Day 7 of the trip. Decent 2 pass shave + touch up. First nick in a long time while trying to clean up under the nose. Quite small and quickly stopped on its own. Made the mistake of using one of those magnifying make-up mirrors found in many hotels after my shave. Won't do that again! :eek2:.

Peace.

Forgot to sign up earlier, been on vacation. I’m in! Alison in the GRUYERE.
BLTN :)

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Stuart Ganis
3) rbscebu - out (9/2: Bay Rum AS)
4) @Roedeer
5) @sarir97
6) @henrickd - GRUYERE
7) @Sinnbad11
8) @JKar
9) @Contact_vs_Feedback
10) @Doti B
11) @Multum in parvo
12) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
13) @Adam18
14) @Kyle89
15) @linty1
16) @‘Bout Time
17) @hopper_64
18) @Albion
19) @12stones
20) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
21) @La Malice
22) @Herrenberg
23) @SharpieB
24) @Dodger59
25) @Timeclo
26) @Tomo
27) @Owen Bawn
28) JCinPA - out (9/5: Blue Blade Bank)
29) @pdieten - GRUYERE
30) CJB3 - out (9/7: Tallowbac)
31) @FL shaver
32) @srqshaver
33) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE

Still in.

No new shaving gear is of interest currently. I was kicked out of GRUME a couple of months ago for buying a few older brushes and I am having fun today putting a Frank’s Manchurian knot i had lying around in an ancient Rooney handle. So I got a new brush today and didn’t spend a dime! 👍

Shaved late yesterday and might have a before bed shave tonight.

Still in.

Broke out the Muhle R89 to try the Gillette Rubie blade in it. Haven't liked the Rubie in my Old Type or my 70's Tech, but it seemed alright in the Muhle. Still got 2 weepers on my chin though but I did some post-rinse cleanup. Can't blame the blade!

I really don't understand this blade though. I'll try my best, shave as light as possible, and only do 1 WTG, 1 XTG pass. Despite this I still get wicked aftershave burn, but the blade does not feel overly sharp and the shave could be closer. I just can't wrap my head around it other than perhaps something in the metal is doing something weird to my skin.

I
Still in.

Broke out the Muhle R89 to try the Gillette Rubie blade in it. Haven't liked the Rubie in my Old Type or my 70's Tech, but it seemed alright in the Muhle. Still got 2 weepers on my chin though but I did some post-rinse cleanup. Can't blame the blade!

I really don't understand this blade though. I'll try my best, shave as light as possible, and only do 1 WTG, 1 XTG pass. Despite this I still get wicked aftershave burn, but the blade does not feel overly sharp and the shave could be closer. I just can't wrap my head around it other than perhaps something in the metal is doing something weird to my skin.
I have a pack of Rubie blade but I don't have anything as mild as a Tech so I'll use it in my Game Changer 84 Open Comb.
I'll see if Rubie is rough for me as well.

This is as good a reason as any to pick up a blade to test out of almost a dozen untested blades that were given by a fellow Grume gentleman.

linty1

My wallet cries.
7D7C0404-31B0-40B1-B588-39CDD250588B.jpeg

Still in.

Still liking this brush, I wonder how it will feel next time I use it, I find sometimes I get an initial impression of something, then when I return to it a few weeks later, I'll go "huh.. this.. feels diff than last time" or "I didn't realize it was so aggressive" etc. But so far so good.

Work is doing wonders, WONDERS for my grume.

Still in.

Since ditching cartridges, I’ve been an almost exclusive SE shaver, having started out with the Supply razor but quickly settling on the Vector. In my quest for smooth, I did experiment with a slant razor on a couple of occasions, but none has toppled the Vector for overall experience.

Today, I had my first shave with a non-slant DE, the Henson AL13, ordered prior to the start of the month. I won’t bore you with a detailed review; all I’ll say is that the Vector remains King, until at least the Ti version arrives. [emoji57]

Still in.

Since ditching cartridges, I’ve been an almost exclusive SE shaver, having started out with the Supply razor but quickly settling on the Vector. In my quest for smooth, I did experiment with a slant razor on a couple of occasions, but none has toppled the Vector for overall experience.

Today, I had my first shave with a non-slant DE, the Henson AL13, ordered prior to the start of the month. I won’t bore you with a detailed review; all I’ll say is that the Vector remains King, until at least the Ti version arrives. [emoji57]
A Vector (OC?) is still on my bucket list for the end of the year…

Still in.

Wilkinson Sword and GSB are like that for me. Try as I might, in my safest razors, I can't get a blood-free shave. Dunno what that's about, when Nacet is my favorite blade...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A quick 2 pass shave at 4.30 this morning. Gillette Silver Blue on shave #5 or 6 in the red tip Super Speed, a Zenith synthetic brush, Proraso 'white' soap and a little Proraso 'white' balm, and Acqua di Parma Colonia to finish. The Colonia scent appears to fade fairly quickly, but it surprises me all through the day by suddenly reappearing again and again. It is really nice stuff.
Still in restraint.

Still in.

I'm happy to say that the razor that gave me a great shave but an awful shave experience last time was almost wonderful today. I think it was me, and not the razor. Mostly.
1631146441943.jpeg

This is a razor made of a high-carbide (but dense, small carbide) tool steel, CPM-M4. One of its characteristics is that it's kind of slick, but it wasn't completely so today. A successful shave, yes, very close and smooth. The razor felt much more natural in my hand than last time, so I think I was just having an off day. And the alum was the quietest it has been for any of the Big Razor Month shaves. But the edge did not feel comfortable, completely, and the microscope revealed a bit of turmoil, so it's back to the stones. If it were a conventional carbon steel, I'd know just what to do, but for this steel, I'm still learning. I think I'll start with the Shapton Glass 8000 HC, and see how that goes.

After last time, when this razor got caught up in my failure to lather Mike's soap once it was down to the Ring of Doom, I was taking no chances this time, so it was SV all the way, and a stone-handled brush. Not a day for taking risks.

I'm forming a theory that the edge of a large, heavy razor has a special need to be especially smooth, because otherwise it will catch on the skin, just a tiny bit. Don't know if I'll believe that in 6 months, but I kind of believe it now.

First shave with Geo F Trumper Violets and Slantember shave:

RazoRock Wunderbar
Voshkhod
Geo F Trumper Violets soap
RazoRock 400 Special Edition
Alum and Witch Hazel

View attachment 1324329

I finally got around to grating the Violets soap into a container and whatever it was be it omens or just bad grip - the ceramic container shattered and with it my mood to shave as well.

I managed to re mash the soap taken from the broken container into another bowl and while it was being transferred I got a few cuts and a splinter (it's still in).

Today I went after it again and given that I've sacrificed my blood, sweat and tears in the pursuit of Geo F Trumper Violets soap, I wanted it to work otherwise after such drama it would have been tossed straight into the bin.

Lo and behold - it worked beautifully.

Low structure lather is what I received from the soap and it didn't instilled too much confidence in the beginning, but when I started shaving it was a very smooth lather.

It had slickness in buckets, and although lather seemed to be dissipating quickly but I didn't show any shame in going back to the soap and this time I got a pasty, thin lather that allowed me to get a 3 pass almost BBS shave.

Bonus:

I was afraid to do an alum block test but it was surprisingly less intense than what I expected.

The low structure of the lather is an entirely different approach to a very slick lather, I was apprehensive about it but got good results from the soap.

So, after all this drama I got a good, clean and close shave from a finicky soap.
I'll be using it in the upcoming shaves and see how it goes.

How is the witch Hazel working for you? I imagine your temperatures are finally getting diminished but you’ve been using it long enough I’d expect you to see results if you’re going to.

Top Bottom