What's new

September 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Still in

Timeless Bronze .38
Gillette Platinum (1)
Razorock BC Silvertip Plissoft
Stirling Executive Man

20200916_063557.jpg

More and more I am thinking about joining next month Grume too....this is a very good way to not spend more money on this hobby :D
Thinking that too. If I didn't join this thread this month I wouldn't have thought about giving my Gem 1912 a chance, but giving it attention this week and sticking with it I've learned that it's one of my favorite razors.

Honestly it was a cheap antique store find, and just tossed it in with the rest of my vintage razors. It's nice to appreciate what you have somtimes.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (7)
  • Antica Barbieria Colla
  • SOC Taj boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
Another good shave, now that I'm down to the last of the ABC - I might have two shaves left in the tub - but still with a tiny nick/spot under my chin. However, I was able to (safely) go ATG on my upper chin, which is new for me. I still don't have the confidence in this soap to go ATG on my neck.

Lather after the first face-lathering pass:

SOTD_09162020_1.jpg
SOTD_09162020_2.jpg

@FoolishMortal I saw Antica Barbieria Colla for 50€...for 100 ml! That is one ultra-super-extra expensive soap! Like twice as expensive as MdC (that is around 50€ for 200 ml). That soap should smell like heaven and produce lather of god's performance, or am I missing something?

@FoolishMortal I saw Antica Barbieria Colla for 50€...for 100 ml! That is one ultra-super-extra expensive soap! Like twice as expensive as MdC (that is around 50€ for 200 ml). That soap should smell like heaven and produce lather of god's performance, or am I missing something?
I agree - it should. It has a medium-strength and very pleasing, classic Italian sweet-almond scent. The lather is slick and luxurious, but honestly, it's not that much better than a lot of similar soaps, like Cella. I find that Cella, by comparison, smells more artificial.

Honestly, I never would have paid for the soap; it was a gift from my in-laws. If you have the coin, go for the MdC and let me know how it is, as I've never tried it. I'm perfectly happy with Arko, Tabac, Haslinger, B&M, CFG and WSP's Formula T, which give fantastic performance (for me, a hint better) at a fraction of the cost.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
If I was going to buy any ABC products I'd get the after shave 'milk' in the green tobacco version. That said, the cheapest I've seen it is $50 USD, which is way too much, so I haven't bought it more than once. But the performance is remarkable. I agree that the difference between Cella or Vitos and the ABC soap/cream doesn't justify the price for most men.

Still in, fellers!

Nice shave today with my 6S and the #2 plate. I had irritation from the crappy Rapira blade from yesterday so I took it easy.

- Pre: Shower
- Brush: Semogue Pharos-C3 Synthetic
- Soap: Stirling Arkadia
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (plate 2)
- Blade: Dorco Prime (2)
- AS: Stirling Arkadia

Considering every Dorco I have tried in the past (besides the Prime) has been utter garbage, I am blown away at how good these blades are. And they are under $7/100 on Amazon. Seriously, don’t let the Dorco name dissuade you from trying these. One of my favourite blades as of late.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I opened a second consecutive tuck of Shark SS blades today, so it'll be Sharks for a couple more months, probably. The 70s Super Speed is still on duty, however. The Simpsons Eagle 3 in Super is delightful. Nearly as dense as a Chubby but with the flow through of a Duke. This particular brush is short lofted well below what it is listed to be, but that's fine with me. I end up with the scrub of a Best brush with the soft tips of a Super. I didn't ask for that- it's just a happy accident. First use of Proraso white soap since sometime early in the year. I love that soap. Finished with vintage kanon after shave.

And I'm still in.

How do you like Mike's Wild Honysuckle?

I find it to be a very pleasant, sweet, floral scent. Very different from most of my other soaps which tend to be essential oil based. I like to avoid chemicals and “fragrances”. But Mikes is an interesting diversion. Not the awesomest performance but does okay. So if you like Mike’s (which it sounds like you do) and wanna try something floral, go for it.

Still in!

- Pre: Wet face cloth
- Soap: Storybook Visions and Revisions
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (plate 3)
- Blade: Gillette Goal (1)
- Brush: Simpson’s Classic Pure Badger
- AS: Storybook Hook

Great shave today with Storybook Soapworks and Goal blades recieved today. RECIEVED today but ORDERED in August. 😝

Hook is excellent but strong. My 7yo daughter thought I smelled like banana popsicles. Not sure about that, but It is a nice scent.

Goal blades are amazing. At least that is my impression after one shave. Fairly sharp but super smooth. Ordered these over a month ago and they just arrived. Made exclusively for the Indonesian market and I have never seen them in Canada.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Cream: Boots Cool Cologne, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razors:
Rockwell 6S (R5 plate), Wilkinson #9,
Wilkinson Classic, Personna #9
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase.

Back to the Rockwell, after using Game Changers since 8th August, and enjoyed it a lot. The audio feedback is different, but with R5, the performance and efficiency are like the GC.84. The thin GC head is more agile in tight corners.

Got a near-BBS, using the black plastic Wilkinson Classic for ATG and tidy-up duty, and forgetting how mild it is. It might pair up better with a super-sharp blade.

Top Bottom