What's new

September 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

You can buy a 100ml jar from Connaughts... once the GRUME is over :D

Or, if you are in EU, I could also send you some, again, once the restraint is over (see rule 5).
From my perspective, Rule #5 deals with entering a PIF as a type of asking. If you mention something and someone else offers, without a hint of some sort provoking that offer, I think that's fair play. Do with that what you will...

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (6)
  • Antica Barbieria Colla
  • SOC Taj boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Burberry AS Emulsion
Pretty good shave. I thought I might have over-shaved my neck, so I went with the Aftershave Emulsion. I'm happy with that choice.

From my perspective, Rule #5 deals with entering a PIF as a type of asking. If you mention something and someone else offers, without a hint of some sort provoking that offer, I think that's fair play. Do with that what you will...

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (6)
  • Antica Barbieria Colla
  • SOC Taj boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Burberry AS Emulsion
Pretty good shave. I thought I might have over-shaved my neck, so I went with the Aftershave Emulsion. I'm happy with that choice.

Fair enough! :)

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Cream: Boots Cool Cologne, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Wilkinson #6, GC.68, Personna #6
Post-shave: Brut AS, Nivea Balm.

Third time lucky with lathering this cream optimally, by making it too concentrated, and then gradually wetting it down. That ought to work for most products, I hope.

Since bowl-lathering the basic soaps is good, I've been sounding out more interesting ones to try.

So far, though, I've resisted temptation.

Pre: Shower
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm
Soap: Cella Original cream
Razor: Lord L6
Blade: Lord SS (came with the razor - not sure which type)
AS: DG Massacre of the Innocents

Not allowed to buy new shinys so I pulled out some inexpensive stuff I haven’t used in a while.

good shave and still in!

Still in.
Today was so far the best shave with Tatara I had so far. Part of me thinks that is because of the blade (Gillette Rubie), and part of me thinks it's because of today's lather. I use the same Proraso single edge Cypress and vetyver, but I kept adding more and more water as I face lathered. And the shave was so good.
On the other hand, not sure if I can reproduce it tomorrow, today I took my time, because I don't have to go to work (it's a free day in my country, not sure how you called it in english), so I spend more time then usual quick 15 minutes...

FoolishMortal, how is R4 going, and is it looking like the golden setting for you? I used it for ages, before becoming an R5 convert.
I'm still happy with it. I haven't been going ATG while using the ABC soap, and I certainly wouldn't go to the R5 plate with this soap. Next month is Tabactober, and I may be emboldened at that point...

@FoolishMortal, It sounds like people are supernatural beings when responding to you.
Do you realize this, Foolish Mortal? :)
I like it. My handle is a reminder to myself, so others just help to reinforce it. :D

Didn’t realize we were already halfway. Cool. Changed up the setup today ...... downsized from the Mongoose to the Mingoose:

8C0F9FF4-33DE-4B1B-A257-7169FFBD7148.jpeg

Well, I found out between Sunday and this morning Mrs. Rookie became allergic to cedar. I was hoping it was just a fluke, but no. So I'm down to no cedar or sandalwood due to allergies. Well, I have a couple weeks to rethink my fall lineup.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Wilkinson #7, GC.68, Personna #7
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase.

Did that one more or less on automatic pilot, and still got a DFS.

The GC.84 feels as forgiving as the Rockwell R5 (0.69mm), so there must be more complicated things than blade gap in play here.

I'm still happy with it. I haven't been going ATG while using the ABC soap, and I certainly wouldn't go to the R5 plate with this soap. Next month is Tabactober, and I may be emboldened at that point...
More isn't always better, is it? R5 worked slightly better than R4, so my expectation was that R6 would be "the same thing, but slightly better", but I was wrong.

It felt much less relaxing, yet I couldn't get a better (daily) shave out of it.

Still in.
Tatara, Gillette Rubie, Proraso single edge, Proraso blue pre-shave.
Very nice shave. Rubies are a very good combination with this razor. It's funny how was I a bit biased against negative blade exposure, but this thing shave like nobody's business, I think it would handle multiple days of growth just fine (not that I am going to try it...).
More and more I am thinking about joining next month Grume too....this is a very good way to not spend more money on this hobby :D

Top Bottom