What's new

September 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Pretty good shave at the cottage today. The Gillette 7’O Clock was a bit rough in my cheapie Wilkinson Sword razor but that partially might have something to do with my emergency use of an old $0.99 puck of Williams.

Pre: Shower
Soap: Williams Mug.... in a mug...
Razor: Wilkinson Sword
Blade: Gillette 7OC (not sure if yellow or green as it was in a sampler pack)
Brush: Rockwell Synthetic
Post: Styptic pencil, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive balm.

Close call on Friday. Dropped by Dollar General to pick up a few things and saw a cup that was perfect to hold my brushes while soaking on the bathroom counter. Nothing so cool as the skull Ken Surfs uses, but functional. Bought it for a dollar, got to the car, and remembered the GRUME. Promptly turned around, went back into the store, and returned it. Still in!

Still in. It's been since Thursday evening since I've shaved, so I'm looking forward to a fresh Parker half in my Tommy B shavette.

And to the Clubman afterwards. Guys, I'm really coming around to Clubman aftershave scent. While a good bay rum will always be my favorite, this is really fighting for second. Are all drug store brands that good?

Still in over here. Strong desire for a Vector faded ..... I’ll get one later. Now I’m stretching my Stirling bath soap supply to delay that reorder to Oct 1 ...... because I always top up the order with shaving stuff to get free shipping. I can do it. Probably. I think. Hopefully.

Stay strong you'll make it! That Vector will definitely still be around October 1. Plus, we're already almost half way through the month. Surely you can make it on bath soap until the 1st.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS blue oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Wilkinson #5, GC.68, Personna #5
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase lotion.

I'm not sure if 2-Phase is a current product or old stock. I bought several discounted, locally, in ~ February.

It combines some of the features of splash and balm - there's an alcohol sting, but the after-effect isn't drying.

SOTD - 13 SEP 2020

SOTD 09132020.jpg

Good shave. Riding the guard with the FOCS worked a lot better than the usual. Still plenty to learn.

Still in.

Yesterday's conclusion was that New LC and Feather is too much for my face but I had to try it. I moved the blade to the Progress (#2) and got a much more comfortable shave today.

I liked the rest of the setup, too. There is some discussion going on about the Vitos red extra coco version in the soap forum. Today, I used the cheaper variant, the green and it provided a very slick lather. It seems able to hold quite a bit of water. Good stuff and another very cost effective soap with excellent performance. I finished the shave with some Aqua Velva. I love the blue types of ASL (AquaVelva, Epsilon Blue Mediterranean, Furbo, B&M Cool)!

Happy shaves everyone and stay strong! :)

Still in. Had some more vintage arrivals from August orders to keep me busy, and managed to let go of a some razors to offset those indulgences.

I've also spent time fixing up a Gillette Executive which is a bit of a project item. There are a few mechanical issues mostly related to a damaged centre rod (see picture), but I can at least load a blade. I'm trying to iron out other issues patiently without dismantling or ruining the thing.
I had my first shave with it today set on #5, very enjoyable just like a regular Gillette 195, loaded with a Lord Platinum. For lathering, I used a Chubby 1 manch. with Simpsons shaving cream and face lathered, worked really well with no fuss or issues.

P9144049 (2).JPG

P9144050 (3).JPG

Close call on Friday. Dropped by Dollar General to pick up a few things and saw a cup that was perfect to hold my brushes while soaking on the bathroom counter. Nothing so cool as the skull Ken Surfs uses, but functional. Bought it for a dollar, got to the car, and remembered the GRUME. Promptly turned around, went back into the store, and returned it. Still in!
Wow- way to stay strong!

Top Bottom