What's new

SEptember 2019

• Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip
  • Gem SS (4)
  • Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp + Cremo superlather
  • Balea boar, face lathered
  • Pinaud Clubman aftershave
Excellent shave this morning. The goal today was to compare the Bullet Tip to the Clog Pruf Micromatic. The Bullet Tip does seem milder than the Clog-pruf and not as audible. I can throw it around my face, confident I won't nick myself. Stellar lather helps. Can't say that with the Clog-pruf...at least not yet.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
  • Gem SS (4)
  • Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp + Cremo superlather
  • Balea boar, face lathered
  • Pinaud Clubman aftershave
Excellent shave this morning. The goal today was to compare the Bullet Tip to the Clog Pruf Micromatic. The Bullet Tip does seem milder than the Clog-pruf and not as audible. I can throw it around my face, confident I won't nick myself. Stellar lather helps. Can't say that with the Clog-pruf...at least not yet.
I also have one(MMBT) and have to agree with conclusion the razor is efficient and not to aggressive.
The Micromatic Clog Pruf is also good and not as smooth as you concluded. The Micromatic Flying wing AKA(MMBT) is the heaviest of the 3 different Micromatic models. (nice thread @Dog Whiskerer )
Have some great shaves.

JMT_2083.jpg

Razor: Gem Damaskeene Open Comb
Blade: PAL Carbon Blue
Brush: Rubberset 200-5 with 30mm Maggard 2-Band
Pre: GD Unscented+Cooling
Soap: GD Barbershop
Post: Alum, Thayer's, Clubman Classic Vanilla, Stirling Unscented Glacial

Think I'm finally getting the hang of my Gems. I had a really good three pass shave, probably the best Ive had with this razor. Left my face nice and smooth. Apparently I've just been shaving at the wrong angle this hole time and didn't realize it.

Ron R

Got some new gear lately and always wanted to try the Proraso Red soap(I have the Proraso red A.S), when you first open the tub it has a weird fragrance but what I did was scoop some into the lather bowl the night before and boy does it smell close to the Prorazo Red Aftershave but not as strong by the morning. Proraso Red lathers reasonable well with my new Yaki tuxedo knot.(i'm spoiled with nice shave gear lately:001_wub:)

Razor: Gem Damaskeene open comb, MFG-1912-15 (very nice lower mid aggressive razor)
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (3)
Soap; Proraso red Sandal wood
Brush: Yaki tuxedo 24 mm (soft with good back bone)
Pre-shave: warm wet face cloth on face for 40 seconds X 2 + Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Alum block + Cold water rinse
Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood lotion + witch hazel+ Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum indicated no irritation= :001_rolle
SEptemper 20-19 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Today’s Razor was my trusty travel razor, the Schick adjustable.

This to me is the perfect road razor because of the blade stop lever- I never have to worry about ruining the blade when it is in my Dopp kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

I have a couple of lather catchers and the STAR bar is a great one to shave with. They are a rarity IMO of this model and it is near the end of Lather catcher razor production in North America, STAR(Kampfe bros )- 1875 MFG excellent razors and were the first in North America to MFG safety razors!!
SEptemper star bar2 (2).jpg

Razor: STAR Bar lather catcher model#4 MFG -1920
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (4)
Soap : Proraso Red Sandal wood
Brush : Yaki Tuxedo knot-new product
Pre-shave : warm wet face cloth to face for 40 seconds X2 + Aloe Vera gel
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Proraso Red sandal wood + witch hazel+Nivea
Results:CCS,DFS,BbS + Alum block indicated minimal irritation=:001_smile
SEptemper Star bar 1 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
JMT_2075.jpg

Razor: Gem Jr. Bar
Blade: GEM PTFE (1)
Brush: Rubberset 200-5 with 30mm Maggard SHD Fan
Pre: GD Unscented+Cooling
Soap: Stirling Hot Apple Cider
Post: Alum, Thayer's, VI Bay Rum, Stirling Glacial Unscented

Another great shave with the Jr. Bar. This was my first time using Stirling soaps and I have to say I'm impressed. I see why these are highly regarded in our community. Might have to keep one in my rotation.

• Gem SS (5)
  • Williams Mug Soap (current formulation)
  • Proraso boar, face lathered
  • Lustray Blue Spice after shave
Mid-day shave. Close and comfortable.

This summer I've been using my first puck of vintage Williams. Wanted to compare it to the current formulation, which I'm very used to, and I have to say I think modern Williams is better. Easier to lather, rich and creamy. Slick with lots of residual slickness and great post shave feel. Glad I have 11 pucks stored away.

GEM Contour II
GEM PTFE (16)
Speick stick
Vie-Long BGS2012 Butterscotch Beehive Natural Horse
Mennen Skin Bracer

The Contour II is by far the mildest SE I own. In fact I didn't know I still had it until I was looking through my SE's to find one I hadn't used in a while. I have been getting CCS shaves with it, though that may be due to the blade and the number of shaves on it. I might have to give the Contour II a try with a fresh blade and see how that goes.

Gem Jr. Lather Catcher with Tuckaway Handle
GEM PTFE (3)
Barrister and Mann Seville & Yaqi Brush WTG and ATG
Nivea Aftershave Balm (for slickness during touchup)
Whole Foods Glycerine soap as a preshave.

2019-09-07 11.47.09.jpg

Really Good Shave

• Schick adjustable, set to 2
  • Schick Proline B-20 (2)
  • Monsavon + Real Shaving Company Cream superlather
  • Finch badger, face lather
  • Pinaud Lime Sec
Getting a DFS from this razor and blade combo is almost cheating, it's so easy. Superlative lather doesn't hurt. Great residual slickness. I will have to remember this soap/cream combo too.

Ron R

SEptemper 22 and its Sunday and the injector for the shave is going to be my new Pal injecto-matic 2nd use and it was a great shave.
Razor : Pal injecto matic MFG 1952... Very nice to handle and with good results!
Blade : Schick (2)
Soap : Razorock Lavender
Brush: Yaki Tuxedo 24 mm
Pre shave : Wet warm face cloth to face for 40 sec X 2 + Aloe Vera gel
Post shave : Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave : Razorock King Louis Lavender A.S + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum indicated minimal irritation=:001_rolle
septemper-22-2019-2-jpg.1019138

Have some great shaves!

I used my Kampfe razor this morning after honing up the blade. It was a decent CCS shave. I was very careful with my angles as this razor will bite. Either way, it’s a fun razor to break out every now and then.

image.jpg
image.jpg

SEptember Shave 17-19

Friday: Feather AC Pro / Feather AC Pro (3)
Saturday, Sunday: Schick J1 injector razor / Schick blade (14-15)
Omega Bigger Bambino Boar Brush
Razorock P.160 Italian Soft Soap
Dickinson's witch hazel for AS

Tomorrow, something different. It'll be Monday...

Monday Shave

Don’t remember the name of this STAR razor but I always get a great shave with it. Seems to be a version of a 1912 head?

BBS to start my week!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

SEptember 23 for a GEMonday and razor of choice is the Gem jr 1912 Parade and it is a great razor to use with the wide tapered handle that acts like a stand.
Razor : Gem junior 1912 Parade MFG 1943
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5)
Soap: Razorock Lavender
Brush: Yaki Tuxedo knot 24 mm
Pre-shave : Glycerin soap wash with brush+ Wet warm towel on face for 40 seconds X 2 + Aloe Vera gel
Post shave: Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave : King Louis Lavender + witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results : CCS,DFS,BBs+ Alum block indicated nothing = :thumbup: it does not get better for myself!
septemper-23-2019-2-jpg.1019369

Have a great shave!

Top Bottom