What's new

September 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

#19 Still in and going strong.

Last month I purchased a few Semogues, bringing my total up to 4, and with that I am making the month predominantly Semogue-tember.

Today's shave:

Razor: Muhle R89 w/ Weber Bulldog Handle
Brush: Semogue 1305
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
AS: Floid Vigoroso

10 Sep 19
Razor:
Karve brass SB
Blade: Nacet (3)
Brush: 22mm RR faux horn Plissoft Disruptor
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Proraso Blue shaving cream – face lather
Aftershave: Element Botanicals Man up tonic / Bodyshop Arber AS balm
Additional Care: Thayer’s WH
IMG_20190909_110813.jpg

That Reuzel is great stuff, innit? Mostly for the scent.[/QUOTE]

It is good stuff, not overpowering. Too bad about the GRUME! There's always next month....
Steve

Still in!

SOTD
Face only

Gillette Fatboy setting 4
Astra SP x1
Thater Premium White Boar
D.R. Harris Lavender soap
Thayers WH Unscented
Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm
Revisiting D.R. Harris Lavender, Gillette Fatboy setting 4 and Thater Premium White Boar brush.
Observations....
Gillette Fatboy on setting 4 gave a super smooth shave. 3 pass and pickup. I'll move up to 5 next time.
Thater Premium White Boar brush..... well... still a love/hate relationship. Love the way it feels but had to go back to the puck for more product. I loaded extra heavy knowing this brush.
D.R. Harris Lavender.... love the scent. Slickness is OK but not a top 5 but still good.

Overall I'm happy with this shave. No nicks, redness or irritation. I'll up the Fatboy to 5 next time to save passes. Thater is still a love/hate brush. Still prefer my Simpson Chubby 2s in badger and Synthetic. I'll continue to use it but it will be my only Boar brush.

Rating... 8/10. Would be a 9/10 minus the brush.

Have great shaves!
20190910_112517.jpg

SOTD

PRE: Hot Water
BRUSH: APshvCo SynBad, Elegant Emerald (24mm)
SOAP: Dragonsbeard (Oleo & ETHOS collab)
RAZOR: Mühle R41, Personna Med Prep

SOTD 2019-09-10D.jpg

Still in and going strong

Razor: GEM 1912
Blade: GEM PTFE (8)
Soap: Speick stick
Brush: Yaqi Violet 24mm 2 Band Fan Badger
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Still here, of course.
Tried the green Proraso soap again, but this time I brought the Omega 10065 boar brush out to play and also soaked the soap in water while I showered. Got a much, much better lather this way and I noticed the brush is finally breaking in, so I'm happy about that. Guess Proraso isn't quite as soft as I thought. Used the Slim and the Wilkinson Sword Classic blade (4) and it glided like skates on ice. Might only get one more shave out of the blade though, had a little extra buffing to do today. I don't normally expect more than five from a blade without platinum edges.
Still had the AV Ice Sport out on the counter so I used it again. Good stuff.

I have to declare myself out. During the restock day I saw the RR GC .84 OC and the Jaws in an EU vendor and I couldn't resist myself and bought them both. They came in today and I felt that this is not in the spirit of the GRUME. See you all next month!

P9110008_ii.jpg

11 Sep 19
Razor: Karve brass SB
Blade: Nacet (4)
Brush: 24mm Dscosmetic Galaxy 2 band silvertip
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Stirling Glacial Spearmint soap – face lather
Aftershave: Osage Rub / Lucky Tiger menthol cream
Additional Care: Thayer’s WH
IMG_20190910_050919.jpg

EBA432D4-21D6-413D-B1FD-6ED279CBC961.jpeg
#27 still in

Today’s shave includes one samee sample

Santa Maria Novella Shave soap/cream/croap. Smells like tobacco and eucalyptus. It makes a nice slick and cushiony lather. Is it worth $70USD/tub? I’m not sure it’s that good. Very good post shave too.

Also used

Stirling 24mm 2 band fan badger
Challenge cutlery straight/cutthroat (freshly honed and dangerous)
Osma alum
Thayer’s
Lucido AS
Santa Maria Novella Melograno (pomegranate) cologne.

Seems I’m missing notifications on new posts in here somehow. Will need to look into this..

Oh. I’m still in

SOTD
Head only

Gillette Fatboy setting 4
Astra SP x2
Thater Premium White Boar
Panama 1924 soap
Thayers Unscented WH
A&E Warrior of Howling Fjord AS Balm
Last shave was the face. Kept same equipment. Different AS Balm. Great head shave. 2 pass and pickup. The Club Brand/A&E scent is wonderful. Took a little more time because I I was on/off the proper angle for the Fatboy. Thater Boar still needed to go back to the puck but learning its idiosyncrasies. It ain't a Badger. Still rewarded with a great shave. The Panama 1924 is a top 3. No nicks, redness or irritation. BBS+. I'm happy. P.S... picture is post cleanup.

Have great shaves!
20190911_153351.jpg

I have to declare myself out. During the restock day I saw the RR GC .84 OC and the Jaws in an EU vendor and I couldn't resist myself and bought them both. They came in today and I felt that this is not in the spirit of the GRUME. See you all next month!

View attachment 1015862
Well, it's a bummer to have you bow out, but I support your honesty in making the decision. This is exactly how the "gentlemanly discretion" portion of the GRUME is supposed to go.

Now that we're 1/3 of the way through the month, we're starting to see some movement in the list. Let's hope this isn't the start of an avalanche!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Schnitzel52
3) @bobmsp
4) Sotiris_A - out
5) @nelsonic21
6) @Wtd1911
7) @Ruva
8) @tim33z
9) Flintstone65 - out
10) @Stuart Ganis
11) @HighSpeedSpoon
12) @BigD
13) @RTM
14) @Baconator
15) @cyclingsteveb
16) @Heron
17) RumpleBearskin - out
18) @pdieten
19) @The_SwampFox
20) @John Rose
21) @cryhavoc
22) @bjm
23) @avmech
24) @MTG Jr
25) @Billy T.
26) @pbrmhl
27) @BrooklynSalt
28) @Cino

I'm out. I've never been able to resist buying stuff when I have a PayPal balance. I bought my first scuttle.

Oh, and by the way, here's what I went out on last month. I really think these monthly restraints are counterproductive. I've not bought stuff many months. But saying that I won't makes me want to.
20190911_211648.jpg

SOTD
Razor: EJ DE89 Lined
Blade: Personna Platinum (2)
Brush: Semogue 830
Pre/Post: Proraso Green Pre-shave cream
Soap: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Fine Italian Citrus

IMG_3929.JPG

12 Sep 19
Razor: Razorock GC .84
Blade: Rapira platinum lux (0)