What's new

September 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

P9080009_ii.jpg

I really enjoy the SOTD posts on this thread. Thank you all for sharing! :)

The blade is settling in and today's shave was better than yesterday's in terms of comfort. A touch less close but I'll take it. Being committed to using another soap, the AS is the only way I can participate in Speicktember.

Have a great Sunday! :)

P9090008_ii.jpg

SOTD:

Fatip Piccolo / Rapira PL (4)
Shavemac D01 2 band
Declaration Grooming Fourth & Pine
Epsilon Blue

Have a nice day! :)

IMG_0360.JPG
This picture is the demonstration of the random element principle. You may notice a coin which I have yet to flip. The dilemma is, of course, which soap to pick for today's shave. Luckily, I have only two soaps to choose from hence the coin. If there were more soaps I'd roll a dice. Well, I am off to flip the coin and shave.

View attachment 1015325 This picture is the demonstration of the random element principle. You may notice a coin which I have yet to flip. The dilemma is, of course, which soap to pick for today's shave. Luckily, I have only two soaps to choose from hence the coin. If there were more soaps I'd roll a dice. Well, I am off to flip the coin and shave.
Can't go wrong with either! I do prefer the PannaCrema post shave though. Do half with each!

Can't go wrong with either! I do prefer the PannaCrema post shave though. Do half with each!
The Universe manifested its orderly nature through the coin flip, and I am delighted with the result. It was the Nuávia. I am using this soap exclusively for more than two months now, minus one week business trip. I think the price tag on this one is justified, fair and square.

The Universe manifested its orderly nature through the coin flip, and I am delighted with the result. It was the Nuávia. I am using this soap exclusively for more than two months now, minus one week business trip. I think the price tag on this one is justified, fair and square.
Agree. No buyers remorse at all and it lasts forever.

9 Sep 19
Razor:
Razorock GC .84
Blade: Nacet (2)
Brush: 28mm ApShaveCo Silksmoke with winter handle
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Vintage Old spice puck – face lather
Aftershave: Reuzel AS / Proraso Blue balm
Additional Care: Thayer’s WH
IMG_20190908_103520.jpg

Let me start by declaring that I am out. I picked up two vintage straights and have a bid out on a third, and we're only 7 days in. I'm clearly not exercising restraint this month. At least not at first blush.

But now it gets interesting. I have discovered that I love restoring unloved, neglected vintage straights to a state of usability and beauty. And as of the start of the month, I had nothing on my workbench... So sad... The straights I am acquiring these days are not for my use, nor for my collection. They are restoration projects that are (or will be) PIFed or sold to cover costs.

So, in my mind, I'm exercising restraint with regard to purchases "for me" or "for my shaving", and simply restocking "raw materials" for my restoration hobby. In other words, mentally I'm separating my restoration hobby from my shaving hobby. They just both happen to involve razors.

So, like I said, I'm out based on the stated rules of GRUME. But I'm interested in your opinions. Am I rationalizing my RAD and perverting the intent of GRUME? Or is GRUME really about restraint in purchases for personal use?

Rule #2 says " No personal [my emphasis] shaving purchases after 9/1. Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle (PIF or Gifting). ...".

OTOH, rule #6 says "If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on 1.b., above."

So based on rule #2, you are IN, whereas - because you had to ask - rule #6 suggests you are probably OUT. Keep in mind that I am new to GRUME's, but that said, here is my take FWIW: First, I saw no rules against enjoying acquisition disorders. I only saw saw rules against indulging various forms of acquisition for personal use - meaning in my mind "use for shaving"; not meaning in my mind "use as raw materials for the creation of non-personal use shaving items". Now three things:
  1. My newbie to GRUME's conclusion is that by rule you are IN.
  2. If your purchases were at the core made to indulge the joy of acquisition, and if you joined the GRUME to discipline (train yourself) in purchasing restraint, then perhaps you would be wise to declare yourself OUT, and start again next month.
  3. Your heart and your conscience are yours alone, and only you can decide. My suggestion is that you make the choice that best balances believing in yourself, being honest with yourself, and being gentle with yourself. I know that is incredibly vague, and I am sorry for that, but sometimes the real challenge is to see through the confusion to find the right path.
Good luck!

I agree with @HighSpeedSpoon . If you're purchasing items so that you can spread the love, that's fine. If you're feeding an AD, you're out. Only @RumpleBearskin knows the true answer; you need to make the call for yourself.

upload_2019-9-9_14-1-31.jpeg

Couldn't wait until Tuesday, fortunately my scar healed. First time using Proraso soap. I had below average glide and couldn't figure out how to get much cushion. Need more practice with this.

Other than that the shave was perfect. Blade (1) very effective and comfortable. And I love AV ice sport. My face feels great. Will buy again. Layered it with Aspen cologne today.

Last edited:
If you're purchasing items so that you can spread the love, that's fine. If you're feeding an AD, you're out. Only @RumpleBearskin knows the true answer; you need to make the call for yourself.

Question answered! Since I have yet to actually sell/PIF the bulk of the razors I intend to, the additional purchases this month must be considered part of my AD. So, as previously stated, I'm out.

However, once I start actually distributing the fruits of my labors, then I'll consider myself eligible to join another GRUME (so long as I continue to distribute my restorations).

Question answered! Since I have yet to actually sell/PIF the bulk of the razors I intend to, the additional purchases this month must be considered part of my AD. So, as previously stated, I'm out.

However, once I start actually distributing the fruits of my labors, then I'll consider myself eligible to join another GRUME (so long as I continue to distribute my restorations).

Sounds like you made clearly thought out and stand-up choice. FWIW, I for one will look forward to seeing you back sometime.

Sorry to see you go, but I respect and applaud your integrity. See you next month!

As an aside, I have a straight from a passaround box. I’m a DE shaver through and through, so maybe we can work together to get this one ready for a PIF...

With that said, this seems like a good time for a roll call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Schnitzel52
3) @bobmsp
4) @Sotiris_A
5) @nelsonic21
6) @Wtd1911
7) @Ruva
8) @tim33z
9) Flintstone65 - out
10) @Stuart Ganis
11) @HighSpeedSpoon
12) @BigD
13) @RTM
14) @Baconator
15) @cyclingsteveb
16) @Heron
17) RumpleBearskin - out
18) @pdieten
19) @The_SwampFox
20) @John Rose
21) @cryhavoc
22) @bjm
23) @avmech
24) @MTG Jr
25) @Billy T.
26) @pbrmhl
27) @BrooklynSalt
28) @Cino

(Whew) Big group this month!

Sorry to see you go, but I respect and applaud your integrity. See you next month!

As an aside, I have a straight from a passaround box. I’m a DE shaver through and through, so maybe we can work together to get this one ready for a PIF...

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Schnitzel52
3) @bobmsp
4) @Sotiris_A
5) @nelsonic21
6) @Wtd1911
7) @Ruva
8) @tim33z
9) Flintstone65 - out
10) @Stuart Ganis
11) @HighSpeedSpoon
12) @BigD
13) @RTM
14) @Baconator
15) @cyclingsteveb
16) @Heron
17) RumpleBearskin - out
18) @pdieten
19) @The_SwampFox
20) @John Rose
21) @cryhavoc
22) @bjm
23) @avmech
24) @MTG Jr
25) @Billy T.
26) @pbrmhl
27) @BrooklynSalt
28) @Cino

and accounted for!
Still in. No major temptations in sight.
Should make it through the month.

#22 still in. I plan to pick up a new handle for one of my razors, but it can wait until October. I'm actually enjoying the break from buying stuff. I've also managed to get some really great shaves from a razor that gave me trouble early on. It wasn't the razor, but rather my technique that needed to improve.

#22 still in. I plan to pick up a new handle for one of my razors, but it can wait until October. I'm actually enjoying the break from buying stuff. I've also managed to get some really great shaves from a razor that gave me trouble early on. It wasn't the razor, but rather my technique that needed to improve.
I find that to be the best thing about hitting the Pause button on purchases. I use what I have and learn to use it. There's a lot of joy that comes with sorting out a previously-tricky bit of hardware (or software).

I'm gearing up for OCtober by trying to figure out which OC I can use on a daily basis. I think the thin-cap Old Type with a Tech handle will have the edge, but there are other contenders. I need to spend a week with each of my most likely candidates to see what works best. Heck, after that process of discovery, I might be divesting...

49B4619C-F56A-44A4-9A99-2182BAFA7E5D.jpeg
still in I’m also participating in a September Sample shave for the first 1/2 of the month.

Here are the samples used
Oleo Old Orchard Cider (canard base)
Lord Super stainless (green package 2nd)

Other
Gillette Slim Adjustable H3
Ever ready 1000L w tgn reknot
Osma alum
Thayer’s
Pitralon Classic (Germany)

Last edited:
I find that to be the best thing about hitting the Pause button on purchases. I use what I have and learn to use it. There's a lot of joy that comes with sorting out a previously-tricky bit of hardware (or software).

I'm gearing up for OCtober by trying to figure out which OC I can use on a daily basis. I think the thin-cap Old Type with a Tech handle will have the edge, but there are other contenders. I need to spend a week with each of my most likely candidates to see what works best. Heck, after that process of discovery, I might be divesting...
Agreed. While I’ve always thought I make a good lather, some soaps are more tricky than others to get that really slick lather.

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Schnitzel52
3) @bobmsp
4) @Sotiris_A
5) @nelsonic21
6) @Wtd1911
7) @Ruva
8) @tim33z
9) Flintstone65 - out
10) @Stuart Ganis
11) @HighSpeedSpoon
12) @BigD
13) @RTM
14) @Baconator
15) @cyclingsteveb
16) @Heron
17) RumpleBearskin - out
18) @pdieten
19) @The_SwampFox
20) @John Rose
21) @cryhavoc
22) @bjm
23) @avmech
24) @MTG Jr
25) @Billy T.
26) @pbrmhl
27) @BrooklynSalt
28) @Cino

#11 Still in. Thank you for honchoing the GRUME.

I'm out.
And you know what the sad part is?
It was over a single puck of Williams Mug.
proxy.php

There might be a RazoRock Hawk involved too. It's all just a blur.

My last GRUME-worthy SOTD, from last night:
img_0221-jpg.1015593

QShave Futur clone
Astra SS (5)
Williams Mug (a puck I already had, no less, and only the 2nd time I used it) in my Great-grandfather's scuttle
Stirling 2-Band Synthetic
Alum stick
Old Spice Classic AS​

Aftershave: Reuzel AS / Proraso Blue balm
That Reuzel is great stuff, innit? Mostly for the scent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom