What's new

September 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Shave no. 5
Stirling South Padre
Yaqi Moka Express badger
Gillette Flare w/ Nacet (5)

No pics. Great two pass shave.

Great shave today:

Grooming Dept Lavender Preshave
Paladin Cleo
Barrister & Mann First Snow
Timeless SS 0.68 SB with Gillette Platinum Plus (3)
PAA Unscented Star Jelly

Tried a split shave today. Left side was my normal routine (WTG (N > S) then ear to nose with cleanup) and right side was (ATG (S > N) then ear to nose with cleanup). Right side was a little closer. I'll have to experiment more.

Razor: GEM 1912
Blade: GEM PTFE (5)
Soap: Speick stick
Brush: Yaqi Violet 24mm 2 Band Fan Badger
Aftershave: Speick AS

Still in, even if only by the skin of my teeth. I guess that means I needed to be here.

Anyway, this is my first GRUME and I did not appreciate the importance of posting shave pix. I have been enjoying yours though - except that they are too damn tempting! - so just this once I will try to make up for lost time. Here's what I got for September.

02-SEP-2019 SOTD

SOTD 2019-09-02D.jpg

PRE: Hot Water, Grooming Dept Moisturizing Preshave V2
BRUSH: Shavemac 2B ST (25mm)
SOAP: Eufros Zanzibar
RAZOR: Mühle R41, Wizamet Iridium Super

04-SEP-2019 SOTD

SOTD 2019-09-04D.jpg

PRE: Shower
BRUSH: DSCosmetic Galaxy 2B ST (26mm)
SOAP: Dragonsbeard (Oleo & ETHOS collab)
RAZOR: Game Changer .84, Wizamet Iridium Super

05-SEP-2019 SOTD

SOTD 2019-09-05N.jpg

PRE: Hot Water
BRUSH: Stirling Finest Fan (24mm)
RAZOR: Rex Ambassador, Wizamet Iridium Super

I finally killed my soap today. :)

Been working on that puck of VDH Luxury since April, before that a Williams puck and before that was another VDH. I have products that came home from TJMaxx over a year ago and have been sitting in a drawer waiting for a turn. See, that's what GRUME is for. Time to use something different. But which? The Proraso green soap or the Erasmic cream?

I brought them both out. Never used either of these before so we'll see how it goes. Might not finish the Proraso before I put it away for winter and pull a sandalwood soap out instead.

Edwin Jagger DE87 - still in the honeymoon stage with this razor.
Astra SS (3) - I'm like this blade better than I remembered.
That Stirling Synthetic that I ordered on the 29th. It arrived today.
B&M Seville
Pure & Natural Alum
Pinaud Clubman AS (because "Every Friday is Clubman Friday!")

IMG_0206.JPG
It's more "ivory" than the stark white it appears to be in all the online photos. Darker than a Simpson brush handle, lighter than the EJ DE87 handle.
Even so, the handle is now officially my favourite.

Last edited:
7 Sep 19
Razor:
Razorock GC .84
Blade: Nacet (0)
Brush: 30mm Yaqi Monster Barber pole Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Cella – face lather
Aftershave: Floid Black AS / American Crew All in one balm
Additional Care: Thayer’s WH
Still in. I'm avoiding sources of envy and RAD, I have nothing on my radar this GRUME. I might just make it to Oct.
IMG_20190906_051622.jpg

P9070016_ii.jpg

The Rapira didn't feel super sharp today, there was some slight drag. No sting from the alum though and zero irritation.

Last year I was using the Piccolo very frequently, but it fell out of grace in 2019 as I was testing other razors. These last 5 days have been great with it. I feel very comfortable shaving with it, despite the blade exposure. Perhaps I like some blade feel after all.

I finished the shave with some Lavender pour Homme.

Have a nice day! :)

7 Sep 19
Razor:
Razorock GC .84
Blade: Nacet (0)
Brush: 30mm Yaqi Monster Barber pole Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Cella – face lather
Aftershave: Floid Black AS / American Crew All in one balm
Additional Care: Thayer’s WH
Still in. I'm avoiding sources of envy and RAD, I have nothing on my radar this GRUME. I might just make it to Oct.
View attachment 1014781

Very nice setup! I really like the GC .84 and Nacet combo.

It was my second use of the GC. The first was only meh with a Derby extra with 3 uses. It was a near BBS shave with the Nacet. What a difference!

On my face, it works very well when paired with sharper blades (Nacet, Polsilver SI, Personna Platinum). I find an excellent daily driver. Happy shaves with it! :)

Let me start by declaring that I am out. I picked up two vintage straights and have a bid out on a third, and we're only 7 days in. I'm clearly not exercising restraint this month. At least not at first blush.

But now it gets interesting. I have discovered that I love restoring unloved, neglected vintage straights to a state of usability and beauty. And as of the start of the month, I had nothing on my workbench... So sad... The straights I am acquiring these days are not for my use, nor for my collection. They are restoration projects that are (or will be) PIFed or sold to cover costs.

So, in my mind, I'm exercising restraint with regard to purchases "for me" or "for my shaving", and simply restocking "raw materials" for my restoration hobby. In other words, mentally I'm separating my restoration hobby from my shaving hobby. They just both happen to involve razors.

So, like I said, I'm out based on the stated rules of GRUME. But I'm interested in your opinions. Am I rationalizing my RAD and perverting the intent of GRUME? Or is GRUME really about restraint in purchases for personal use?

USA: GEM 1912
USA: GEM PTFE (6)
Germany: Speick stick
China: Yaqi Violet 24mm 2 Band Fan Badger
Germany: Speick AS

Having some great shaves with Speick!

Let me start by declaring that I am out. I picked up two vintage straights and have a bid out on a third, and we're only 7 days in. I'm clearly not exercising restraint this month. At least not at first blush.

But now it gets interesting. I have discovered that I love restoring unloved, neglected vintage straights to a state of usability and beauty. And as of the start of the month, I had nothing on my workbench... So sad... The straights I am acquiring these days are not for my use, nor for my collection. They are restoration projects that are (or will be) PIFed or sold to cover costs.

So, in my mind, I'm exercising restraint with regard to purchases "for me" or "for my shaving", and simply restocking "raw materials" for my restoration hobby. In other words, mentally I'm separating my restoration hobby from my shaving hobby. They just both happen to involve razors.

So, like I said, I'm out based on the stated rules of GRUME. But I'm interested in your opinions. Am I rationalizing my RAD and perverting the intent of GRUME? Or is GRUME really about restraint in purchases for personal use?

Rule #2 says " No personal [my emphasis] shaving purchases after 9/1. Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle (PIF or Gifting). ...".

OTOH, rule #6 says "If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on 1.b., above."

So based on rule #2, you are IN, whereas - because you had to ask - rule #6 suggests you are probably OUT. Keep in mind that I am new to GRUME's, but that said, here is my take FWIW: First, I saw no rules against enjoying acquisition disorders. I only saw saw rules against indulging various forms of acquisition for personal use - meaning in my mind "use for shaving"; not meaning in my mind "use as raw materials for the creation of non-personal use shaving items". Now three things:
  1. My newbie to GRUME's conclusion is that by rule you are IN.
  2. If your purchases were at the core made to indulge the joy of acquisition, and if you joined the GRUME to discipline (train yourself) in purchasing restraint, then perhaps you would be wise to declare yourself OUT, and start again next month.
  3. Your heart and your conscience are yours alone, and only you can decide. My suggestion is that you make the choice that best balances believing in yourself, being honest with yourself, and being gentle with yourself. I know that is incredibly vague, and I am sorry for that, but sometimes the real challenge is to see through the confusion to find the right path.
Good luck!

094234B1-7C91-4799-AD54-7793BC68CD2A.jpeg
3BFC7C47-B622-4ACE-A428-7C0023DF6C49.jpeg
Saturday Night Shave

Buffalo Shave Co Original (sample, and I just learned this is no longer is in production)

Stirling 2 band badger 24mm fan
Challenge Cutlery straight
Thayer’s
Osma alum
Lucky tiger.

upload_2019-9-7_19-59-21.jpeg

SOTD before church tomorrow morning. First time I tried the Erasmic that I bought from TJMaxx last August and had been sitting lonely in the drawer ever since. It's the Amber House version. Squeezed a little on a wet best badger brush and face lathered. I think it has a scent but it didn't demand my attention either way. It lathered up wonderfully and is very slick. Post shave face feel is unexpectedly quite dry. Nonetheless I call it good and will cheerfully use up the tube. I'm glad I didn't pay more than the $4 that it cost me though.

The razor and blade (3) were sharp and efficient as always, the Adidas Dynamic Pulse acceptable. Its nice original glass bottle is now holding a home brew AS. Going to be the last shave until Tuesday though. Had a mishap on my left cheek with a Sextoblade earlier in the week and I still keep shaving off the scab. That has to heal more.

SOTD
Face only

Timeless Aluminum
Feather x2
Simpson's Chubby 2 Synthetic Amethyst
Panama 1924
Face lather
Great shave. BBS. Getting the Aluminum razor down witha Feather blade. 2 pass and a pickup. Missed the Panama 1924. Such a great soap. Post shave was Thayers Unscented WH and AoS Unscented AS Balm. Picture is after the shave and gear cleaned up.
20190907_211106.jpg

Attachments

• 20190907_211106.jpg
    20190907_211106.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Saturday Night

SOTD 2019-09-07N.jpg

PRE: Hot Water
BRUSH: YAQI High Mtn ST (24mm)
RAZOR: Game Changer .84, Wizamet Iridium Super

September 7, 2019

Razor: Gillette NEW SC
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey Brush
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Aftershave: Fine American Blend

IMG_3925.JPG

Last edited:
8 Sep 19
Razor:
Razorock GC .84