What's new

September 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Gentlemen:

I'm out. I have been looking for a thin-cap Old Type put in a low bid on a single ring. Much to my surprise, I won. Downside - I'm out; Upside - new razor to try! I'll most likely join you again in October.

Today the sky was the exact shade of blue I like, so I picked up Martin de Candre Rose without reservations.
IMG_0362.JPG

9838BDF4-9A36-47B5-B445-13FCCD366BBE.jpeg
#27 hanging tough

SOTD includes the following samples:

Edwin Jagger Pre Shave Lotion (think proraso white preshave but softer. Lots of eucalyptus)

Murphy & McNeil soap — Reyes Restores.

Also used:

Every Ready 1000L w tGn silvetip reknot
Challenge Cutlery straight
Osma alum
Thayer’s
Lucky Tiger

I'm out. I've never been able to resist buying stuff when I have a PayPal balance. I bought my first scuttle.

Oh, and by the way, here's what I went out on last month. I really think these monthly restraints are counterproductive. I've not bought stuff many months. But saying that I won't makes me want to.
View attachment 1016171

So, to be clear, you're saying that (a) you can't resist buying things when you have a PayPal balance and (b) the fact that you joined the GRUME - publicly stating that you won't buy what you don't need - makes you buy things. Did I get that right?

Gentlemen:

I'm out. I have been looking for a thin-cap Old Type put in a low bid on a single ring. Much to my surprise, I won. Downside - I'm out; Upside - new razor to try! I'll most likely join you again in October.

I certainly enjoy my Single Ring when I have several days' growth to mow down. I can't use it daily, but that's what the thin-cap Old Type head (on a Tech handle) is for. :)

The current standings:

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Schnitzel52
3) bobmsp - out
4) Sotiris_A - out
5) @nelsonic21
6) @Wtd1911
7) @Ruva
8) @tim33z
9) Flintstone65 - out
10) @Stuart Ganis
11) @HighSpeedSpoon
12) @BigD
13) @RTM
14) @Baconator
15) @cyclingsteveb
16) Heron - out
17) RumpleBearskin - out
18) @pdieten
19) @The_SwampFox
20) @John Rose
21) @cryhavoc
22) @bjm
23) @avmech
24) @MTG Jr
25) @Billy T.
26) @pbrmhl
27) @BrooklynSalt
28) @Cino

I am asking this in advance.

I have been offered a shaving gift but not yet accepted it. The offer was a complete surprise, and with no compensation for me. The offer came from a vendor, but one who asked for no compensation and attached no strings - no need to publish reviews, and no need for anything but frankness in public or private feedback. After reading the sections that mention gifts (rules #2 and #3), I see no prohibition. And while I know from unfortunate experience what it feels like to obsess over this type of item, that same experience assures me I am not obsessed with this one (fine though it likely is).

So my question is, must gifts that are offered in these circumstances be declined?

In my mind, this is a slam-dunk: Take the gift and stay in! But I have selfish reasons for asking about it anyway. I know that even fair-minded people sometimes disagree, and I want to avoid personal criticism down the road, however misplaced it may be. So it seems prudent to allow @FoolishMortal and other members the chance to weigh in up front. I am strongly inclined to respect @FoolishMortal's judgement whatever it may be, and I will listen carefully and respectfully to other feedback too.

BTW I apologize if this has already been discussed and I missed it, especially because I cannot be the first or the last to whom a gift has been offered during a GRUME. Regardless, please let me know. -- Thanks.

Last edited:
I am asking this in advance.

I have been offered a shaving gift but not yet accepted it. The offer was a complete surprise, and with no compensation for me. The offer came from a vendor, but one who asked for no compensation and attached no strings - no need to publish reviews, and no need for anything but frankness in public or private feedback. After reading the sections that mention gifts (rules #2 and #3), I see no prohibition. And while I know from unfortunate experience what it feels like to obsess over this type of item, that same experience assures me I am not obsessed with this one (fine though it likely is).

So my question is, must gifts that are offered in these circumstances be declined?

In my mind, this is a slam-dunk: Take the gift and stay in! But I have selfish reasons for asking about it anyway. I know that even fair-minded people sometimes disagree, and I want to avoid personal criticism down the road, however misplaced it may be. So it seems prudent to allow @FoolishMortal and other members the chance to weigh in up front. I am strongly inclined to respect @FoolishMortal's judgement whatever it may be, and I will listen carefully and respectfully to other feedback too.

BTW I apologize if this has already been discussed and I missed it, especially because I cannot be the first or the last to whom a gift has been offered during a GRUME. Regardless, please let me know. -- Thanks.

From my perspective - and this is just one guy's opinion - a gift that is freely offered, not solicited and not given with expectation of recompense, is perfectly fine. You didn't seek it out, the company found you.

Play on!

Still in.

Thursday
SOTN

PRE: Hot Water, , Grooming Dept Moisturizing Preshave V2
BRUSH: Stirling Finest 24mm Fan
SOAP: M&M Claddagh (Aon Base)
RAZOR: Game Changer .84, Wizamet Iridium Super

SOTD 2019-09-12N.jpg

Doing just fine - no temptations.

SOTD:
  • '20s Thin-cap Old Type on '40s Tech handle
  • Nacet (24)
  • Simpson's Peppermint & Rosemary
  • Rubberset 203
  • WH w/menthol, LT, Stirling ASB
  • Bay Rum AS
SOTD_091319.jpg

Had a great shave today:

Razor: GEM 1912
Blade: GEM PTFE (10)
Soap: Speick stick
Brush: Yaqi Violet 24mm 2 Band Fan Badger
AS: Pinaud Clubman

Still in. Almost forgot I was participating :001_005:

Shave no. 13
B&M 42
Evershave synthetic
Gillette Flare w/ Nacet (13)

Still in it!

September 13, 2019

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Brush
Soap: MWF
AS: Pinaud Clubman (its Friday after all)

Razor: Ever-Ready 1924 Shovel Head
Blade: GEM PTFE (11)
Soap: Speick stick
Brush: Yaqi Violet 24mm 2 Band Fan Badger
AS: Bootlegger's Green Freeze

SOTD
Face only

Muhle R89 Heavy
Feather x1
Thater Premium White Boar
MdC Rose
Rose WH post shave
This morning my friend dropped off my first razor I bought, Muhle R89 Heavy. So I decided to test it again. The worst shave of my life was with this razor, Feather blade, GOT Rose soap and a Semogue 830 boar brush. I cut the hell outta my face. Cat fight cutup! I was new to wet shaving at the time so granted my technique sucked. First time with a Feather as well. As I was loading up my Timeless I changed my mind and said..."Let's give this a go again with what I have that is the closest to recreating that shave with what I have, cat fight be damned!" So, MdC Rose and Thater Boar brush was substituted. Do not have the Semogue nor the GOT Rose soap anymore.

3 pass shave and a pickup.
Razor is very mild compared with what I use regularly and smooth. The Feather took down 3 days growth no issue. Boar brush actually worked very well with the MdC, no going back to the puck.

Shave was actually extremely good! Not as efficient as my Timeless razors but very good close shave! No nicks, cuts or irritation. BBS. My technique HAS improved a lot! Going to use this razor again. No cat fight this time! I won!!!!
Revisit old stuff.
20190914_132512.jpg

11BC1FC1-BD29-4E99-A851-EEB0D1634349.jpeg
7DB00934-4290-4235-A4E6-71096ADB58FC.jpeg
Still in it.

SOTD

Samples
Klar Kabinett
Edwin Jagger pre shave

And the rest

BI Eyre & Comp Sheffield, straight
Ever ready 1000L reknotted w TGN silver tip