What's new

SEptember 2017

Last day of SEptember had to be a SE. I missed some days using some new shavettes but hit about 2 out of every 3 with a proper SE, so I'm gonna say, not bad. Thanks to @Sdm84 and @gvw755 for the enthusiasm and getting things rolling and to everyone who participated. Nice to see all the interesting SE's and realize my collection is woefully understocked:001_smile.

Today's shave was with the Ender's razor by Christy. I got some blades from ebay and decided to use one from the one pack that was already opened. The blade was pretty dull, so now I think I may have to open another pack to see if there's any difference. I got through a WTG and XTG but ATG was really tuggy and not getting much done. The handle itself is simple and easy to use and I like the rigid blade with the clip that seems really firmly seated in there. Anybody sharpened these? Is it possible?

Happy SEptember and now time to jump into OCtober!
View attachment 825159

Can you post a pic of the blade and tag me here? I have never seen one but if it is a wedge blade it might be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last day of SEptember had to be a SE. I missed some days using some new shavettes but hit about 2 out of every 3 with a proper SE, so I'm gonna say, not bad. Thanks to @Sdm84 and @gvw755 for the enthusiasm and getting things rolling and to everyone who participated. Nice to see all the interesting SE's and realize my collection is woefully understocked:001_smile.

Today's shave was with the Ender's razor by Christy. I got some blades from ebay and decided to use one from the one pack that was already opened. The blade was pretty dull, so now I think I may have to open another pack to see if there's any difference. I got through a WTG and XTG but ATG was really tuggy and not getting much done. The handle itself is simple and easy to use and I like the rigid blade with the clip that seems really firmly seated in there. Anybody sharpened these? Is it possible?

Happy SEptember and now time to jump into OCtober!
View attachment 825159

Don't know if an Enders Razor by Christy is different from a Christy Razor by Christy, but you might be able to fit an injector blade in it. It is not the easiest procedure, but it gives an excellent shave. Those nubs prevent the injector blade from going too far back.

DSC01837.JPG
DSC01838.JPG

Last one.
Valet, GEM blade, TGN Silvertip, AoS Lavender cream.

Great shave to end the month. Nice thread everyone!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SEptember 30

As the sun sinks slowly over Diamond Head, we bid fond aloha to SEptember. It has been a real pleasure to share shaves with all of you. For my last shave of SEptember, I will pay homage to my humble Gillette Guard. When I received my Gillette Guard over a year ago, I did a complete three pass shave with it just once. Since that time it has served as my "finisher" razor for times when I would try out razors that still left stubble after three passes, when I try out a freshly honed wedge blade that needed more time on the lapping film, or when I push a blade two shaves past the time for replacement. So, since this razor has finished so many of my shaves over the year, it is fitting that it finish SEptember for me.

Gillette Guard
HSC Kaimu Shaving Soap

Great two pass shave, and great ending to SEptember.

30.JPG

Don't know if an Enders Razor by Christy is different from a Christy Razor by Christy, but you might be able to fit an injector blade in it. It is not the easiest procedure, but it gives an excellent shave. Those nubs prevent the injector blade from going too far back.

View attachment 825201 View attachment 825202

@gvw755 how do you feel about the aggression of the Christy Razor? I feel its even more aggressive than my Schick E2.
My copy feels the same as yours but I feel maybe my massage bar might be a bit bent out of the way because I can
feel quite a bit of blade when I shave with it.

@gvw755 how do you feel about the aggression of the Christy Razor? I feel its even more aggressive than my Schick E2.
My copy feels the same as yours but I feel maybe my massage bar might be a bit bent out of the way because I can
feel quite a bit of blade when I shave with it.
My Christy is very comfortable and efficient. Compared to my two remaining injectors (Type O clone and Lady Eversharp yellow handle), the Christy is a little rougher shave than both, however still very manageable. The massage bar can be removed if you feel that is what might be causing the problem. In that case it would look similar to bahomebrew's razor with just a bare comb.

Finished with a Everready.
Also used my GEM MMTO, Damaskeene, and Jr. this month;along with Schick "G" and "J" models.

Thanks for the idea, Les. I pulled a Chick out of the bank with some tweezers and tried to get it in the Enders, no dice. It's got a different top cap with no tabs. Oh well, I saw on an old thread that someone had honed and stropped an old Enders blade, so I may give it a run on the lapping film and see what I can do.

@Sdm84, I've got some pictures for you below of the blade and the head assembly. It's not a wedge, but I'm wondering if I can attach something of equal width on either side for the sake of honing and stropping. I will likely try it, though I may put it to the forums to see if anyone has experience with it.

I'm not entirely sure these were the blades intended for this head as they seem just a smidge thin and the blade stops(tabs on the blade that catch on the back of the head) are almost too wide to catch the blade tabs. I mean it works, and maybe that was the tolerance they were comfortable with, it just seems a little off to me. The blade seems to align just fine at the front, so I'm not really complaining, just noticing and wondering.
IMG_20170930_213959512.jpg IMG_20170930_214012886.jpg IMG_20170930_214041013.jpg IMG_20170930_214216759.jpg IMG_20170930_214255889.jpg

Thanks for the idea, Les. I pulled a Chick out of the bank with some tweezers and tried to get it in the Enders, no dice. It's got a different top cap with no tabs. Oh well, I saw on an old thread that someone had honed and stropped an old Enders blade, so I may give it a run on the lapping film and see what I can do.

@Sdm84, I've got some pictures for you below of the blade and the head assembly. It's not a wedge, but I'm wondering if I can attach something of equal width on either side for the sake of honing and stropping. I will likely try it, though I may put it to the forums to see if anyone has experience with it.

I'm not entirely sure these were the blades intended for this head as they seem just a smidge thin and the blade stops(tabs on the blade that catch on the back of the head) are almost too wide to catch the blade tabs. I mean it works, and maybe that was the tolerance they were comfortable with, it just seems a little off to me. The blade seems to align just fine at the front, so I'm not really complaining, just noticing and wondering.
View attachment 825339 View attachment 825340 View attachment 825341 View attachment 825342 View attachment 825343

I am just thinking out loud here...

Looks like the bevel is similar to other SE blades and straights. I am thinking if you made a jig for the blade out of an appropriate size metal tube, cut a slit in it to hold the blade and calculated the bevel angle to be about 16 degrees or so it might be possible.

However, the amount of metal behind the blade to support the apex might not be enough to support that method. A safety razor blade doesn't have much mass behind the edge like a straight or wedge blade.

This would be essentially a frameback situation so if the blade is thick enough it MIGHT work. I am interested in what others think and what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom