What's new

SEPTEMBER 2017 SCORES

Status
Not open for further replies.
September is here and Autumn is fast approaching, but the Scores do not care.

They are always out there awaiting discovery.

Yes, time does seem to fly but no matter the month, the season, or the weather, there is always something to be found. And you can mark it as yours.

When you find it, let us know.

We all want to see and think ... I'm need one of THOSE....

I live in Naples, Italy and since I began wet shaving, I wanted the Santa Maria Novella Cream. A few months ago, I contacted the SMN office and asked where I could buy their cream in Naples. They were extremely kind and traded emails back and forth with me and eventually they gave me a shop that is licensed to sell their goods. I had been wanting to go for months and months but life's responsibilities would not allow me until Thursday afternoon. I finished my work at the office and turned on the GPS to guide me there. Fortunately for me it was still August and Naples is rather quiet during that one month out of the year. I found a parking garage and then walked a block or so until I reached the store.

Once inside the store, I was greeted warmly by Fabrizio and Signor Cilento himself (7th generation) and I asked about the Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba. I was promptly shown the small section where they have the high end shaving software displayed. I was so excited that I went with the post shave lotion. Fabrizio and I were speaking and I told him how bad I had wanted to find the SMN brand. During this time, he began showing me the store. He showed me the high end items that only royalty would be able to afford and many of the items with the Cilento name that were made in house. This store has been around since 1780 and they are on their 8th generation of the Cilento name. Fabrizio showed me many historic pieces that were held on to and passed down from generation to generation. The store was so beautiful and I was so mad at myself for not taking some photos. I realized my mistake once I left the store; actually, I was about to walk out without even grabbing my goods!! Fabrizio had to stop me and say, "you forgot something."

I had a great time in there and will definitely be going back once my SMN shaving cream runs out or if I want one of the Cilento custom blended colognes. Each one of the colognes has a theme that can be applied to live in Napoli. There are neck ties as well for each of these themes. I remember a couple of them; there was the hammer and nails for the carpentry that happens there and there was also the "sette pieghi" or seven folds; this is referring to a tying a necktie.

I did ask Fabrizio to see if he could get a 360 degree view added to the website so that you can take a tour of the store and look at all of their historical heirlooms that have been passed down through 8 generations of the Cilento name.

I plan on using this combination for tomorrow's shave of the day.
Santa Maria Novella.JPG

I live in Naples, Italy and since I began wet shaving, I wanted the Santa Maria Novella Cream. A few months ago, I contacted the SMN office and asked where I could buy their cream in Naples. They were extremely kind and traded emails back and forth with me and eventually they gave me a shop that is licensed to sell their goods. I had been wanting to go for months and months but life's responsibilities would not allow me until Thursday afternoon. I finished my work at the office and turned on the GPS to guide me there. Fortunately for me it was still August and Naples is rather quiet during that one month out of the year. I found a parking garage and then walked a block or so until I reached the store.

Once inside the store, I was greeted warmly by Fabrizio and Signor Cilento himself (7th generation) and I asked about the Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba. I was promptly shown the small section where they have the high end shaving software displayed. I was so excited that I went with the post shave lotion. Fabrizio and I were speaking and I told him how bad I had wanted to find the SMN brand. During this time, he began showing me the store. He showed me the high end items that only royalty would be able to afford and many of the items with the Cilento name that were made in house. This store has been around since 1780 and they are on their 8th generation of the Cilento name. Fabrizio showed me many historic pieces that were held on to and passed down from generation to generation. The store was so beautiful and I was so mad at myself for not taking some photos. I realized my mistake once I left the store; actually, I was about to walk out without even grabbing my goods!! Fabrizio had to stop me and say, "you forgot something."

I had a great time in there and will definitely be going back once my SMN shaving cream runs out or if I want one of the Cilento custom blended colognes. Each one of the colognes has a theme that can be applied to live in Napoli. There are neck ties as well for each of these themes. I remember a couple of them; there was the hammer and nails for the carpentry that happens there and there was also the "sette pieghi" or seven folds; this is referring to a tying a necktie.

I did ask Fabrizio to see if he could get a 360 degree view added to the website so that you can take a tour of the store and look at all of their historical heirlooms that have been passed down through 8 generations of the Cilento name.

View attachment 817682

Excellent score, Josh. Enviable visit.

View attachment 817682
Great story. Definitely a singular experience. I'm envious. We can get just about anything on the internet, but not the experience of walking into the shop of a family that's been doing the same thing for close to 240 years.

Great story. Definitely a singular experience. I'm envious. We can get just about anything on the internet, but not the experience of walking into the shop of a family that's been doing the same thing for close to 240 years.
I agree; it was a surreal experience and the main reason why I forgot to take photos :( I can always go back and I do plan on it. Have a great weekend!

The dearest little woman of the house returned from Salt Lake City last week with a 100ml bottle of Santa Maria Novella Aqua Di Colonia Tobacco Toscano for me. Yes that is a mouthful. And yes, I love it. A smoky-ish tobacco accord that I cannot get enough of. If you have priced it you know why it is not the typical off the cuff purchase. I am humbled by her thoughtfulness .

As an added bonus she also bagged a 100ml bottle of Art of Shaving Sea Kelp aftershave lotion for $4.99! It was at Burlington Coat Factory. It had price stickers like Marshall's or TJMaxx or similar. Some sort of clearance consignment I suppose. The only thing wrong was the plastic cap has a small deformity. The product is their newer lotion which replaced the a/s gels. I was against this at first because the gels worked well and we're not heavy. If you have used their balms you know they are very heavy and I can only use them in driest winter. This new stuff is nothing of the sort. It is more like an aftershave milk and goes on light and non-greasy. Excellent product though not my favourite scent. It is light though and non- offensive. Bravo to the little lady.

View attachment 817682

Josh, outstanding story. In my rush to post my SMN score, I missed your post. What an experience that must have been. Well done.

Josh, outstanding story. In my rush to post my SMN score, I missed your post. What an experience that must have been. Well done.
Thank you Phog! Indeed, it was a wonderful experience and now, after your nice story, I must get back there and see what fragrances they have to offer.

What a thoughtful lady you have; congrats!

The dearest little woman of the house returned from Salt Lake City last week with a 100ml bottle of Santa Maria Novella Aqua Di Colonia Tobacco Toscano for me. Yes that is a mouthful. And yes, I love it. A smoky-ish tobacco accord that I cannot get enough of. If you have priced it you know why it is not the typical off the cuff purchase. I am humbled by her thoughtfulness .

As an added bonus she also bagged a 100ml bottle of Art of Shaving Sea Kelp aftershave lotion for $4.99! It was at Burlington Coat Factory. It had price stickers like Marshall's or TJMaxx or similar. Some sort of clearance consignment I suppose. The only thing wrong was the plastic cap has a small deformity. The product is their newer lotion which replaced the a/s gels. I was against this at first because the gels worked well and we're not heavy. If you have used their balms you know they are very heavy and I can only use them in driest winter. This new stuff is nothing of the sort. It is more like an aftershave milk and goes on light and non-greasy. Excellent product though not my favourite scent. It is light though and non- offensive. Bravo to the little lady.

Kudos to the Little Woman! Enjoy!

Oh, that is cool, Steve. I know you'll enjoy it.
I am looking forward to breaking the soap in. Tomorrow will be somewhat a rushed shave, so I put it off. A bit more then I would typically spend on a soap, but something really grabbed me about this. It smells nice from the jar.
Steve

I am looking forward to breaking the soap in. Tomorrow will be somewhat a rushed shave, so I put it off. A bit more then I would typically spend on a soap, but something really grabbed me about this. It smells nice from the jar.
Steve

I though about getting one but decided not to. Take your time with it and savor the shave.

After reading the previous posts, I hope this is appropriate. I have a couple Rolls Razors which I like to use, and have been looking for their cousin, Darwin. Finally gave in on my 1st eBay purchase that arrived today. Next task to sharpen the blades so I can give it a shot.
20170905_213232.jpg
20170905_213208.jpg

Attachments

• 20170905_213414.jpg
    20170905_213414.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Nothing nicer than the mention of a thoughtful spouse. Making me do a self check right now on how I've been doing lately. Thank you.

Picked up a "Psycho" Gillette razor form the 1970's with an original key. I'm not going to use this pretty lady though. She is for the collection only. Been wanting one of these for quite some time with an original key.

Attachments

• IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom