What's new

Sensitive Skin? Balderdash!

Have you noted something like 90% of new to wetshaving men and women report having sensitive skin? And even after a couple years' experience more than half still claim it?!

In the case of the first group, many just do not have the technique down, and so cause irritation. But the experienced shavers? If more than half claim so-called sensitive skin, it is apparant most shavers have what is being called sensitive... and thus it is actually perfectly normal. In other words, the skin of most shavers is tender. And if that is so, your claim of extra sensitivity is nonsense. It is in the normal range. You're not really special. Except to your Mom, of course.

So, let's have no more special claims of sensitivity, my tender friends. You are only as sensitive as the next guy or gal-- unless you have a note from your dermatologist. Or Mom.

Mac

Have you noted something like 90% of new to wetshaving men and women report having sensitive skin? And even after a couple years' experience more than half still claim it?!

In the case of the first group, many just do not have the technique down, and so cause irritation. But the experienced shavers? If more than half claim so-called sensitive skin, it is apparant most shavers have what is being called sensitive... and thus it is actually perfectly normal. In other words, the skin of most shavers is tender. And if that is so, your claim of extra sensitivity is nonsense. It is in the normal range. You're not really special. Except to your Mom, of course.

So, let's have no more special claims of sensitivity, my tender friends. You are only as sensitive as the next guy or gal-- unless you have a note from your dermatologist. Or Mom.

Mac
All due respect I don't see this as a value added discussion on this forum.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I have the note. Was diagnosed with several allergies that include some foods as well as animal dander and dust mites. I didn't have any of these when I was younger, they only developed in the last 10-15 years. Avoiding hot baths, hot showers, etc. and also using moisturizers afterwards helps a great deal. The dermatologist also said that even the areas of the grid test that did not show a complete postitive reaction were slightly red and that indeed, my skin is now overly sensitive. Even "pressure" sensitive were prolonged contact on an area such as the calf that's been pressing against the edge of the coffee table when my legs are up watching tv will be very red and itchy afterwards. Weird thing is, I have no problem with this in regards to shaving. I haven't had any difficulty with soaps or creams that many report reactions to such as Cella, Tabac or highly scented ones and can leave them on for a ten minute prep before I start shaving. All good. I will say that I prefer to bowl lather and go easy on the application. If I face lather too aggressively, it's a recipe for trouble. Redness and that "sunburned" feeling are sure to follow. I can face lather if I am gentle and use light pressure and no "mashing" of the brush to get splay. Even with the sensitive skin diagnosis, it hasn't played that big a role in my shaving. I shave every other day because I'm retired and don't have to report for work, and I get better results with forty-eight hours of growth.

Most lay people think of sensitive skin as skin that is easily irritated. The skin on your body can vary from part to part as it does from person to person. For me, my cheeks are not easily irritated but my neck is. For example, if I sleep and my face is resting on my hand, I will have a slight redness that will go away after a few minutes. However, if I sleep with my hand on my neck my neck will be red for several hours. Similarly, if I use the same pressure on my neck as I can do on my cheeks, I will suffer the consequences.

Brother Laird's comments bring to mind a question I had not thought of.

All things considered, what is the best water temperature for a shower or bath, with the goal being healthy attractive skin. I suspect it is a neutral temperature, neither warm or cold, but I don't know. Any thoughts? And your answer gets 10 extra points if you're a dermatologist!

One additional question: How many minutes of having contact with water is best for the health of one's skin?

Older skin is thinner and takes longer to heal. That being said, I am special. I can shave 2 three pass shaves a day indefinitely, and have done 3 three pass shaves in a day. I have said that my skin is not sensitive because of this.

A 3 pass shave with touch-ups will result in some razor burn though. As will testing multiple synthetics in a day face lathering.

And just because 90% claim it, doesn't mean that for 0% it's true.

Is it possible some people have bad technique which leads to thoughts that they have sensitive skin? Sure

To make a broad statement about skin sensitivity when it it appears you do not have the issue, I think is over reaching a bit.

Many people on this forum mention having sensitive skin and a good number have also mentioned DE shaving for a decade or more. I am more apt to take someone’s word for it.

It should also be pointed out that many people with sensitive skin do not DE shave their face. Women are an example. Ever seen Noxema commercials?

I think that the inherent result of dragging a sharpened piece of steel over ones face will be irritation. And i tend to agree with mac that most people that think their skin is sensitive are probably just plain old normal. If that wasn’t the case, gillette and other companies wouldn’t bother to market their products as causing “less irritation” because all the normal people would say “what irritation?” The assumption being that normal skin isn’t easily prone to razor burn or weepers. There are certainly outliers and probably a good percentage of each (both those with truly sensitive skin and those with hides that a bull would envy,) but i’d say on the whole most of us just have to find our products and routines that minimize the chance of the dreaded burn. That’s my 2 cents. And it’s worth about as much.

Mac
I could feel your anger for this subject brewing from your recent posts in other threads like a disturbance in the force. Was wondering when you were going to start this thread, wasn't very long lol.

I to notice the frequency, but admit I've lobbed out the occasional "sensitive skin" claim a time or two. Hard to really know as we all only have a sample of one.

I think a significant factor in skin irritation is running your razor under the hot water to clear it of soap/cream/stubble and THEN dragging that HOT, sharp blade across your skin.

That can't be a good thing. Which is why I advocate the cold water shave.

But the experienced shavers? If more than half claim so-called sensitive skin, it is apparant most shavers have what is being called sensitive... and thus it is actually perfectly normal.

Don’t forget that the old school shaving we do here is a very small niche.

Many people who have become wetshavers started out because their skin reacted badly to modern shaving systems.

This may well be because of sensitive skin.

C'mon, fellas. While I am amused to note that darn near every new shaver concludes they have both a tough beard and sensitive skin, the original post was somewhat tongue in cheek. However, the point remains: If most have very tender skin, that is the normal condition. IOW, a sharp instrument dragged across it will cause irritation. The outliers are those who have no skin issues.

I vote we make a scale: break out a blade and shave. No prep, no soap, no water. If that doesn't bother you, you are Category 1. Next, add water to wet the face - no soap. If that doesn't bother you, Category 2. Add soap - Category 3. Add pre-shave, Category 4. No more vague 'sensitivity' references, and everyone understands the scale. Problem solved. The way I see some folks shave on YouTube, they should only need a damp towel and a piece of broken glass. ATG. Category 2. Hence the rise in the demand for "aggressive" razors. :001_smile

I vote we make a scale: break out a blade and shave. No prep, no soap, no water. If that doesn't bother you, you are Category 1. Next, add water to wet the face - no soap. If that doesn't bother you, Category 2. Add soap - Category 3. Add pre-shave, Category 4. No more vague 'sensitivity' references, and everyone understands the scale. Problem solved. The way I see some folks shave on YouTube, they should only need a damp towel and a piece of broken glass. ATG. Category 2. Hence the rise in the demand for "aggressive" razors. :001_smile

Just did a dry SAS shave with a GEM 1912. Wasn't comfortable, but no razorburn. If I did again, might be, would be eventually. Can't shave with a damp face w/o soap, never could. Of course I can shave with just soap. People compliment me on my complexion improving when I started using pre-shave.

Sensitive skin and tough coarse beard is the mantra.
  1. I get skin irritation from very alkaline soaps if I shower and exfoliate prior to shaving.
  2. I get brush burn from new prickly brushes if I face lather.
  3. I get razor burns, ingrown hairs and weepers if I chase BBS without at least 48h window between shaves.
This is normal and I don't consider my skin to be sensitive. As long as I don't do 1, 2 and 3, I have zero issues. Some guys keep buying more efficient razors and blades, chasing a daily BBS, scrub their faces with SLS in the shower, face lather with stiff, dense and scrubby brushes, slap on 3 kinds of astringents, then cry about sensitive skin.

@Macfrommichigan
That's funny because I've been thinking about this topic for the last few days and wondering how to address it.
I have sensitive skin. If I press a sharp blade (or a sharp fish) into it, I bleed. :a19:

YKMV, keep them fish away from yer kisser.

In Lake Wobegon where the women are strong, the men good looking, and the children all above average, wonder if every shaver has sensitive skin? Even those bachelor farmers?

A Braun electric razor once convinced me I was tender. What an instrument of torture.

I don't feel my skin is very sensitive, I rarely have issues shaving and even my years of smoking have not seemed to damage my skin. That said, having grown up with a Dermatologist for a father, I know that peoples hides vary widely.

Top Bottom