What's new

Sensitive nose - trying new soaps

I've just recently picked up a handful of soaps off the BST in a bit of an AD bout. I read so many great things about all these soaps, so I've wanted to try them all. Thus far, I'm disappointing myself. Not because the soaps are lacking, but I'm overly sensitive to smells. Have been for as long as I can remember. Strong cologne/perfume, candles, air fresheners, etc can give me splitting headaches in no time at all.

I started out with VDH. This soap, while on my face, doesn't bother me at all. I milled my puck down and packed it in a bowl. I get a pretty great lather considering its cheap and I'm using a cheap VDH brush as well.

Tried Razorock Fresco - Mild scent. No issues with it in that department. Lather not as slick as my VDH though. I do think I will try this one again though.

Tried Razorock XXX - Not for me. Headache within a few minutes. Lather was same as Fresco. I don't think I will bother with this again.

Tried Tabac - Actually just lathered this one up about an hour ago. Not a fan of the scent. It isn't bothering me as bad as the Razorock XXX, but I don't think I'll be trying it again. Which is unfortunate, because thus far it is the best lather I've had. Slick. Awesome.

I have a couple left to try that I've purchased. Martin de Candre fougere, LA Shaving Vanilla/Eucalptus/Mint, Mama Bear's Unscented, Mama Bear's Sandalwood and Mama Bear's Rosemary Mint.

Any other sensitive noses here? Maybe give me some suggestions on what else I should give a go?

I find the PannaCrema mild in scent, but the later is top notch. Also a lot of the soap makers do unscented versions of their soaps, maybe worth looking into.

If you like the performance of the Razorock products, in particular the XXX, the American Blend has a very very subtle scent. Other than that one, I cast my vote for any of the unscented products from the major players.

You could always get some unscented soaps. Mystic Waters sells a great one. Most others also have unscented soaps.

Or, if you know of a scent that doesn't bother you, you could order a soap with that scent. Some of our artisans will make a soap of your choosing (Tiki, Prairie Creations, Al's, etc); in that case you could ask for a scent that you like and ask for it to be muted.

Also, Haslinger Schafmilch is a superb performer and very mildly scented. Ditto Pre de Provence. The Proraso white tub is not quite as good as those, but is excellent nontheless and mildly scented.

I too discovered at an early age that intense scents will give me an instant headache--when my folks took me into a candle shop. I had to leave immediately, and I've never been in a candle shop since.

Also, Haslinger Schafmilch is a superb performer and very mildly scented. Ditto Pre de Provence. The Proraso white tub is not quite as good as those, but is excellent nontheless and mildly scented.

I too discovered at an early age that intense scents will give me an instant headache--when my folks took me into a candle shop. I had to leave immediately, and I've never been in a candle shop since.

+1 on the Haslinger Schafmilch and the Pre de Provence. No experience with the Proraso. Might also want to try La Toja stick (fairly mild soapy smell).

I'm another person who has to hold my breath when I'm anywhere near a candle shop (and I NEVER go inside one of those).

Try Gilded Hand (Vergulde Hand). This soap smells like shaving soap and nothing more. I am unsure as to the availability in the US since it's Dutch, but apparently they can be found.

wow, you must be part canine!!
really sensitive nose!

For hard soaps, I'd suggest trying Mitchell Wool Fat, or a vintage puck of Williams, or Institut Karite, or L'Occitane/Cade, or any DR Harris (especially Lavender or Almond).
Those are all fabulous lathering soaps with really mild scents, IMO.

proxy.php

So I just got my order from Maggard's. Their two new soap scents Fougere Sauvage and Mango Sage Tea. I posted here because of the Fougere Sauvage. It has a very light smell. It's clean and herbal like a light fern. The lather, like the other Maggard's soaps, is extremely good.

I'm kind of in the same boat, I much prefer lightly scented soaps most of the time. Proraso white is very mild, and what little scent it has is very pleasant. I can also whole heatedly recommend MdC unscented.

I'm like the original poster in that most scents give me a headache quickly. I can tolerate almond scents, citrus scents, and lightly scented lavenders, but little else. For me, in the almond category, Boelllis Panama, RR P.160, and Cella are keepers. I enjoy the RR King of the Castle Lime soft soap, and Trumpers Ultimate Comfort cream with a mild lavender undertone passes my sensitve nose. Incredibly, I really like the Speick stick which i thought would give me a pounding headache. I hope those suggestions help; I feel your pain withe scents. Good luck and keep trying!

I concur about strong scents causing a headache. The soaps that I currently use are all nice smelling but not over the top. MWF, Cade and Edwin Jagger Sandlewood all have nice scents that do not offend.

I appreciate all the responses. Glad to see I'm not alone! I'll make a list based off your suggestions and start shopping for some more mild soaps. In the mean time, I've still got MdC fougere to try and LA Shaving Eucalyptus Mint.

Also, I've noticed that I can tolerate stronger scents, assuming they don't linger. I'm a night time shaver, so going to sleep with the smell on my pillow is really what does it to me. So on that note, are there any ways to eliminate the scent after the shave? Or any slick soaps that don't hang around after you rinse them off that you guys can suggest?

Shaving Yeti soaps are pleasant but very subtle soon after I finish shaving and once you can get the lather down it's pretty slick.
When I don't want a soap smell to linger I'll use my aftershave while my face is still wet and let it sit for a second. Then rinse it off. That way, if there's any smell left over, it's at least something I like.

Hope this helps! LA Shaving Co. Is great - especially the Eucalyptus Mint. They also have unscented which is really nice!

I'll have to add that one to the list.

Update for the evening. Just gave the MdC fougere a go. Full face and head shave tonight. First impression - It isn't as overpowering as Tabac or Razorock XXX, but I'm afraid it may still be too much. I want to love it because of what I paid for it, so I may give it one more go. I will say, for as much as it is praised, I wasn't overly impressed with the lather. I'd rate it a little lower than Tabac. I'm going to do some searching for lathering suggestions though to see if it is my technique rather than the soap.

If, as with the MdC, you find the scent very close to mild enough for you--but not quite--try leaving the soap open to the air for a week or two. Oftentimes that will calm down the scent a little.

If, as with the MdC, you find the scent very close to mild enough for you--but not quite--try leaving the soap open to the air for a week or two. Oftentimes that will calm down the scent a little.

That might work. However, honestly, I'm not terribly fond of the scent. Maybe that is due to the strength though.

Top Bottom