What's new

Sensitive neck!

Hey, just wondering if anyone else suffers from the same as me, I have a hyper sensitive neck when in comes to shaving, my head (I’m bald), and my cheeks are fine, quite tough if anything, but my neck is something else!
My morning routine, is DE razor, proraso white (sensitive) soap, a good aftershave balm and aftershave alike! I shave with 3 passes, with, across and against (With the lightest of contact obviously) , I have tried just the two passes and even one, to the same result, take a look at the photo! Any advice welcome!
TIA

Attachments

• 461744A9-E83B-4998-A135-D64021B6B5BF.jpeg
    461744A9-E83B-4998-A135-D64021B6B5BF.jpeg
    822.4 KB · Views: 52
Hello. I haven't been shaving all that long with a DE razor--maybe 9 months. So, take my comments with a grain of salt. I have learned to not chase a BBS shave with my neck. I leave a band of about two inches on the bottom and only shave this band WTG, which for me, is upward. I also try to make sure I have a feather touch when shaving this area, but without hopping or bumping along. I achieve this more consistently by stretching this area with my off hand while shaving, but not overly so. On occasion, I will also shave this band ATG, too, but again, only with a very light touch. I've stopped shaving this area XTG. I'm also wondering if you have tried a different razor or blade combination with current razor? Maybe your setup for head and cheeks is not ideal for neck? Just a thought.

Hello. I haven't been shaving all that long with a DE razor--maybe 9 months. So, take my comments with a grain of salt. I have learned to not chase a BBS shave with my neck. I leave a band of about two inches on the bottom and only shave this band WTG, which for me, is upward. I also try to make sure I have a feather touch when shaving this area, but without hopping or bumping along. I achieve this more consistently by stretching this area with my off hand while shaving, but not overly so. On occasion, I will also shave this band ATG, too, but again, only with a very light touch. I've stopped shaving this area XTG. I'm also wondering if you have tried a different razor or blade combination with current razor? Maybe your setup for head and cheeks is not ideal for neck? Just a thought.

yeah I see what you mean, I’m lucky in a sence that all my facial hair grown downwards from my sideburns to the lowest part of my neck which makes for a easier shave. I will try your advice out in a couple of days and get back to you! Thanks.
As for the set up question, no I haven’t tried anything else DE wise anyway! I have only been at this traditional shaving lark for around 2 weeks.. but I am planning to get a new razor in the coming weeks since the one I have is a short handle primarily for my head and it works a treat with the derby extra blades! So I do need a regular handle for my face really!

It looks to me like your razor angle is too steep. Are you stretching the skin to flatten it out for the razor? Angle your head back and stretch the skin with your weak hand. You may be changing the angle of the razor to avoid you chin.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My guess is blade flex from a lack of blade support or, possibly, improper angle.

I dont know which razor you're using but you might find a more rigid design to help with that. I'd suggest trying a post war Gillette Tech and see if that makes a difference, I'm betting it will. Theres much to read around the forum on rigid designs and a quick search of the word 'rigid' will yield many results.

You have a bad case of razor burn.

Irritation usually is caused by poor blade angle and too much pressure on the razor. The neck is a tricky area to shave because keeping the right blade angle and little pressure is a challenge. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade.

Here is a thread on blade angle that may help you.

While you are getting used to the angles and pressure, may I suggest some RazoRock After Shave Wax? No need for any other AS product when using this, as far as I am concerned. But when I was learning how to shave with DEs and then again with straights, this stuff was God send. Really helps with the irritation. Not to mention the Origional Scent is awesome, and if you shave at night before bed, the King Louis (lavender) scent is great too!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hey, just wondering if anyone else suffers from the same as me, I have a hyper sensitive neck when in comes to shaving, my head (I’m bald), and my cheeks are fine, quite tough if anything, but my neck is something else!
My morning routine, is DE razor, proraso white (sensitive) soap, a good aftershave balm and aftershave alike! I shave with 3 passes, with, across and against (With the lightest of contact obviously) , I have tried just the two passes and even one, to the same result, take a look at the photo! Any advice welcome!
TIA
A razor can make a difference also to help compensate the changing curves of the face like a pivoting head. Gillette has a 2 blade cartridge called "Skin guard" and that might be a good start to experimenting with finding the issue. Not a lot of money to put into a proven system to see if it helps.
If you just want a single blade pivoting razor I use Oneblade Core $25.00 US with out the blade plan deal. I just really enjoy the Oneblade system, believe it or not I apply pressure to this razor and I usually receive irritation free shave with the odd blemish(pimple) weeper but that is very rare. Nothing comes close to a nice mild carefree shave IMO.
The Oneblade uses a floating blade system and I was hesitant at first but from their testing and my limited experience it just works. The only negative is the FHS-10 proprietary blade which is only good for a couple of shaves IMO. The Feather blade is awesome for the 1st shave and just starts to lose the edge. I use a Gem SS PTFE modified blade in my Core that I have used in my other many ASR razors.
Good prep and soap will also help but you have already have a handle on that area.I like my soap wetter for razor glide of the blade edge. A pivoting head can make a more enjoyable shave or they would of never made them that way.(Pivoting systems just work.)
Don't chase the BBS- but you have experimented in that area with different pass procedures. My sweet spot for a close comfortable shave is CCS, DFS,BBS range and I'm a very happy camper.
Have some great shaves.

My neck is second only to the fat fold on the back of my head for being the most difficult place to shave. I settle for two passes and if it's not good enough, it stays that way. Otherwise I get the irritated neck like the OP.

Nice burn! :letterk1:

What razor/blade combination are you using?

I struggled a lot with irritation, when trying to get a close shave, on my 'sensitive' neck. A very shallow blade angle using an aggressive razor (Fatip Grande) gets me fantastic (near BBS) results in just two passes. I've also found that some blades work better for my skin than others - I really enjoy Silver Star blades.

My first advice would really be to stick to a one pass WTG shave on your neck until you get no irritation. Then consider adding a second pass.

Also, do you shave every day?

Nice burn! :letterk1:

What razor/blade combination are you using?

I struggled a lot with irritation, when trying to get a close shave, on my 'sensitive' neck. A very shallow blade angle using an aggressive razor (Fatip Grande) gets me fantastic (near BBS) results in just two passes. I've also found that some blades work better for my skin than others - I really enjoy Silver Star blades.

My first advice would really be to stick to a one pass WTG shave on your neck until you get no irritation. Then consider adding a second pass.

Also, do you shave every day?
I am using an Edwin Jagger short handle razor, and derby extra blades, I shave my head everyday with zero issues, and as I have a bit of a beard I just trim my neck and cheeks every other day, sometimes every 3 days.
also, what is BBS? I’m new to this haha.

I am using an Edwin Jagger short handle razor, and derby extra blades, I shave my head everyday with zero issues, and as I have a bit of a beard I just trim my neck and cheeks every other day, sometimes every 3 days.
also, what is BBS? I’m new to this haha.
Derby are apparently a very dull blade, but I have no experience with them. This may mean that they require more passes to get a good result, but then again - they may not... YMMV.

BBS = Baby Butt Smooth.
DFS = Damn Fine Shave
CCS = Close Comfortable Shave
SAS = Socially Acceptable Shave
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Do you pay close attention to the angle at which the blade comes into contact with your skin? Not the razor handle, the blade.

Last edited:
Derby are apparently a very dull blade, but I have no experience with them. This may mean that they require more passes to get a good result, but then again - they may not... YMMV.

BBS = Baby Butt Smooth.
DFS = Damn Fine Shave
CCS = Close Comfortable Shave
SAS = Socially Acceptable Shave
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Do you pay close attention to the angle at which the blade comes into contact with your skin? Not the razor handle, the blade.
Ohh are they? It’s what came with the razor and they are super close on my head and no irritation at all, and just one ATG pass since I shave my head every morning, but it’s a different story with my neck so may try a different brand of blade, and as for the angle of the blade, I take care and do try to observe it but like anything new it’s a learning curve, I’ll find the sweet spot eventually, Rome wasn’t built in a day!
thanks.

You have a bad case of razor burn.

Irritation usually is caused by poor blade angle and too much pressure on the razor. The neck is a tricky area to shave because keeping the right blade angle and little pressure is a challenge. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade.

Here is a thread on blade angle that may help you.

+1! Great minds think alike! Wish I had a great mind, but I agree with you on this one Sir! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ohh are they? It’s what came with the razor and they are super close on my head and no irritation at all, and just one ATG pass since I shave my head every morning, but it’s a different story with my neck so may try a different brand of blade, and as for the angle of the blade, I take care and do try to observe it but like anything new it’s a learning curve, I’ll find the sweet spot eventually, Rome wasn’t built in a day!
thanks.
Keep persevering... It really is worth it! You will end up getting wonderful shaves!

Just of curiosity - have you considered your soap causing a reaction? Do you feel any burning when you apply? My skin doesn't like Proraso White.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
thanks.
Blades are very distracting and there are a lot to look through and most of my shaving is with SE razors lately and I still use my DE razors to keep my enjoyment and skill technique with them. There is all kinds of charts, Forum threads & online promotions to keep things mind boggling on blades. I like to use blades that have been around for a long time and have perfected their propriety steel & coatings formula's for making them. Gillette & Personna have been around for well over 100 yrs and have Survived the test of time in a very competitive market.
This is a simple photo chart of my blades I enjoy and it should get anyone in the ball park!( I like mostly sharp & smooth sweet spot on chart.)
Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Have some great shaves!

This will be a very unpopular response but hey... Every suggestion is worth while with that kind of irritation, and I know from personal experience!

I had the same problem. I stuck with DE shaving for years and tried every type of razor, blade, soap/cream, after shave, prep method, etc. Nothing fixed that issue for me in terms of 'traditional shaving'. A mild slant razor (like the 37c) along with a sharp blade (like the Astra SP) seemed to always be the best for me in terms of reducing the irritation. I tried just shaving WTG and not only had a patchy shave but still got ingrowns. All this until...

I switched to an electric foil shaver! There is an adjustment period where you will think it's causing worse irritation (about 2-3 weeks long, this why many people give up on them prematurely) but if you see it through that part you will get incredibly close shaves with the least irritation you've ever had. I see it already, so many members are going to jump on here and blast me and tell you to ignore me.. head over to the 'modern shaving systems' sub and you'll find tons of posts from members who scoffed at Electrics until they stuck with them for a few weeks and now rarely use a blade anymore. If you love the whole brush and lather process most modern shavers allow you to shave wet, which gives and even closer shave and still gives you that 'real shave' sensation without all the problems.

If you really MUST stick with a blade try something like the Gillette Skinguard. I know, I know... It's a modern evil plastic cartridge system that costs like $3 per cart and goes against why most people switch to traditional shaving and end up here on B&B in the first place. BUT does it matter how much money you are saving if you walk around with a neck that looks like the surface of Mars due to it's constant redness and bumps? And if cost is a factor for you, what better way to save money then the one time purchase of an electric shaver?

Lastly, judging by your avatar picture it's a safe assumption you are a Caucasian male (as am I) but you are plagued with the shaving related irritation that many ethnic men face (as do I). I was able to find a lot of helpful information by googling things like 'ethnic shaving irritation' or 'shaving tips for black men', etc.

Last edited:
Keep persevering... It really is worth it! You will end up getting wonderful shaves!

Just of curiosity - have you considered your soap causing a reaction? Do you feel any burning when you apply? My skin doesn't like Proraso White.
I don’t think it’s the soap, there is no burn or any abnormalities with it, I have used foam, gel, and cream to the same result! I also use the proraso white on my head daily and is fine, I shall purchase a variety of blades and have at it!

This will be a very unpopular response but hey... Every suggestion is worth while with that kind of irritation, and I know from personal experience!

I had the same problem. I stuck with DE shaving for years and tried every type of razor, blade, soap/cream, after shave, prep method, etc. Nothing fixed that issue for me in terms of 'traditional shaving'. A mild slant razor (like the 37c) along with a sharp blade (like the Astra SP) seemed to always be the best for me in terms of reducing the irritation. I tried just shaving WTG and not only had a patchy shave but still got ingrowns. All this until...

I switched to an electric foil shaver! There is an adjustment period where you will think it's causing worse irritation (about 2-3 weeks long, this why many people give up on them prematurely) but if you see it through that part you will get incredibly close shaves with the least irritation you've ever had. I see it already, so many members are going to jump on here and blast me and tell you to ignore me.. head over to the 'modern shaving systems' sub and you'll find tons of posts from members who scoffed at Electrics until they stuck with them for a few weeks and now rarely use a blade anymore. If you love the whole brush and lather process most modern shavers allow you to shave wet, which gives and even closer shave and still gives you that 'real shave' sensation without all the problems.

If you really MUST stick with a blade try something like the Gillette Skinguard. I know, I know... It's a modern evil plastic cartridge system that costs like $3 per cart and goes against why most people switch to traditional shaving and end up here on B&B in the first place. BUT does it matter how much money you are saving if you walk around with a neck that looks like the surface of Mars due to it's constant redness and bumps? And if cost is a factor for you, what better way to save money then the one time purchase of an electric shaver?

Lastly, judging by your avatar picture it's a safe assumption you are a Caucasian male (as am I) but you are plagued with the shaving related irritation that many ethnic men face (as do I). I was able to find a lot of helpful information by googling things like 'ethnic shaving irritation' or 'shaving tips for black men', etc.
The thing is, I’m leaving for the army any time, and electric shaving isn’t allowed, not during training atleast anyway, I’ve always had a mid length beard and just trimmed my neck and cheeks with electric razors, but I got into this as a means for getting used to ‘proper shaving’ in anticipation for the weeks ahead!
Ps dangerous game assuming people gender in this day and age, for all you know I could identify as a saucepan! But no your correct I am who you assumed 🤣

Keep this a secret between us, but early on using a DE I would finish off my neck with a cart to avoid irritation. With practice I finally figured it out and dumped the cart. Don't tell anyone.

Top Bottom