What's new

Sensitive neck!

The thing is, I’m leaving for the army any time, and electric shaving isn’t allowed, not during training atleast anyway, I’ve always had a mid length beard and just trimmed my neck and cheeks with electric razors, but I got into this as a means for getting used to ‘proper shaving’ in anticipation for the weeks ahead!
Ps dangerous game assuming people gender in this day and age, for all you know I could identify as a saucepan! But no your correct I am who you assumed 🤣

Ok, that's going to make it tough then (and thank you for your service especially during this crazy time!). I highly HIGHLY suggest you look into/try the gillette skinguard cart system. It won't give you a BBS smooth shave but it will certainly pass military expectations and dramatically reduce your irritation issues. Tons of threads already about that system so I won't bother with too much detail here. Basically, it's a twin blade cart system with the blades slightly recessed so it doesn't cut too close to cause ingrowns and spaced out with a bar in the middle to help prevent tugging or 'lift and cut' (funny, they are working to prevent the exact problem they invented and previously used as a sales tactic with their other cartridge models). It's especially praised by ethnic men, fire fighters (masks rubbing), and a new favorite for many head shavers. If you do end up liking it, it's a modern gillette cartridge so it should be easy to find at your base, at local chain retairs, and via Amazon should you need quick shipping. It's pretty much impossible to clog so you can use your favorite brush and soap/cream (I also like proraso white).

Keep this a secret between us, but early on using a DE I would finish off my neck with a cart to avoid irritation. With practice I finally figured it out and dumped the cart. Don't tell anyone.
Ah, no carts are way worse on my neck with having to add pressure, and the logic that with a 5blade cart and typically having to go over an area three or four times that’s like 20-25 blades on the bare skin. No thanks!! My skin suffers enough haha

Ah, no carts are way worse on my neck with having to add pressure, and the logic that with a 5blade cart and typically having to go over an area three or four times that’s like 20-25 blades on the bare skin. No thanks!! My skin suffers enough haha

And with that I can personally attest to the skinguard being different then any other cartridge I've used. I still got ingrowns and irritation with safety razors but much less then even a normal twin blade cartridge (say the atra or Schick slim for example), HOWEVER I got much less irritation and ingrowns with the skinguard cartridge then I ever did with even my best DE or SE shaves.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I never got beyond using a 2-blade cart before switching to DE.

(funny, they are working to prevent the exact problem they invented and previously used as a sales tactic with their other cartridge models).

I could have sworn "the first blade pulls the hair so the following blades cut even closer," was a direct line from cartridge advertisements, but I have not put any effort into finding these old videos.

Ok, that's going to make it tough then (and thank you for your service especially during this crazy time!). I highly HIGHLY suggest you look into/try the gillette skinguard cart system. It won't give you a BBS smooth shave but it will certainly pass military expectations and dramatically reduce your irritation issues. Tons of threads already about that system so I won't bother with too much detail here. Basically, it's a twin blade cart system with the blades slightly recessed so it doesn't cut too close to cause ingrowns and spaced out with a bar in the middle to help prevent tugging or 'lift and cut' (funny, they are working to prevent the exact problem they invented and previously used as a sales tactic with their other cartridge models). It's especially praised by ethnic men, fire fighters (masks rubbing), and a new favorite for many head shavers. If you do end up liking it, it's a modern gillette cartridge so it should be easy to find at your base, at local chain retairs, and via Amazon should you need quick shipping. It's pretty much impossible to clog so you can use your favorite brush and soap/cream (I also like proraso white).
I’ll certainly take a look! Thanks, I do plan on a cart system and basic foam for when out in the field during training as a brush bowl and soap wouldn’t be very practical 😂, and your welcome although I haven’t started yet! I was supposed to be heading off to basic training on the 5th April, but for obvious reasons it’s been postponed, I am too of the list for when they re evaluate the situation and decide to continue!

I’ll certainly take a look! Thanks, I do plan on a cart system and basic foam for when out in the field during training as a brush bowl and soap wouldn’t be very practical 😂, and your welcome although I haven’t started yet! I was supposed to be heading off to basic training on the 5th April, but for obvious reasons it’s been postponed, I am too of the list for when they re evaluate the situation and decide to continue!

If you are allowed I would suggest trying something like cremo or using gillette's pure cream in a tube or even using proraso white cream without a brush. I've always been one to enjoy foams but for your situation a tube will take up less space, last you longer, and give you an extra bit of slickness since you will really be rushed time wise. Proraso also makes foam and it's a far superior product to modern US foams or even Nivea foam, it's extremely slick and comes in all of their 'flavors'.

If you are allowed I would suggest trying something like cremo or using gillette's pure cream in a tube or even using proraso white cream without a brush. I've always been one to enjoy foams but for your situation a tube will take up less space, last you longer, and give you an extra bit of slickness since you will really be rushed time wise. Proraso also makes foam and it's a far superior product to modern US foams or even Nivea foam, it's extremely slick and comes in all of their 'flavors'.
Thanks for the advice! I’m taking with my all my gear for on the barracks (brush, bowl, soap etc), just need something quick and ready for out on operations, so will certainly look into that! Cheers 👍🏻

When my son in law went through basic a couple years ago, guys with very sensitive skin were able to get some sort of waiver that loosened their need to be completely clean shaven. You might ask your recruiter about this, it could help keep your neck more comfortable while at basic. Good luck, I too have a very sensitive neck. I generally only shave with the grain, occasionally I can go across the grain if I feel the need- but against the grain is guaranteed blood, burning and irritation. BTW, thanks for your service! Good luck on your military journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When my son in law went through basic a couple years ago, guys with very sensitive skin were able to get some sort of waiver that loosened their need to be completely clean shaven. You might ask your recruiter about this, it could help keep your neck more comfortable while at basic. Good luck, I too have a very sensitive neck. I generally only shave with the grain, occasionally I can go across the grain if I feel the need- but against the grain is guaranteed blood, burning and irritation. BTW, thanks for your service! Good luck on your military journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that is something I was not aware of, I will certainly mention it to my recruiter the next time he calls me! Thanks!
Would come in super handy if I can’t shake it somehow!
thanksfor the kind words! 👍🏻

that is something I was not aware of, I will certainly mention it to my recruiter the next time he calls me! Thanks!
Would come in super handy if I can’t shake it somehow!
thanksfor the kind words! 👍🏻

Yes, in those situations they usually let you maintain a '1 day stubble' where you still don't have a beard and can just run clippers over your face

Yes, in those situations they usually let you maintain a '1 day stubble' where you still don't have a beard and can just run clippers over your face
That’s good to know, I have a Phillips one blade just need a couple of new heads for it if I was to take that, but that should suffice, if they let me that is, but it’s not the end of the world if they don’t, shaving bumps will be the least of my worries 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

Blades are very distracting and there are a lot to look through and most of my shaving is with SE razors lately and I still use my DE razors to keep my enjoyment and skill technique with them. There is all kinds of charts, Forum threads & online promotions to keep things mind boggling on blades. I like to use blades that have been around for a long time and have perfected their propriety steel & coatings formula's for making them. Gillette & Personna have been around for well over 100 yrs and have Survived the test of time in a very competitive market.
This is a simple photo chart of my blades I enjoy and it should get anyone in the ball park!( I like mostly sharp & smooth sweet spot on chart.)
View attachment 1099436
Have some great shaves!
It's all about Silver Star! Bic are great too!
BTW... I never found the GEM PTFE blades to be THAT sharp!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It's all about Silver Star! Bic are great too!
BTW... I never found the GEM PTFE blades to be THAT sharp!
:001_wub: Well I have found when it comes to shaving every one has their opinions and I know that the Gem SS PTFE is a superior blade to the Feathers in longevity and sharpness because I have used both. The DE Bic Chrome Platinum are sharp but then they fall off differently than other well known blades. I like a blade when you start using it you know it's behavior characteristics for fading off. I was hoping to use the Bic Chrome Platinum in my Gillette Tech razors but it did not work for me. Maybe I will it give another go here soon.
Have some great shaves!

UPDATE:
After taking into account everybody advise, this is today’s results, I’d say it’s a huge improvement!

Attachments

• 0C401B1D-9576-412F-A809-77687045FD0B.jpeg
    0C401B1D-9576-412F-A809-77687045FD0B.jpeg
    852.3 KB · Views: 15
I'm guessing that you don't really have a neck that is any more sensitive than anyone else. I'm guessing (could be wrong) that you just don't have a lot of experience with shaving (you are young and have a beard).

When you get irritation like that it means that the blade is cutting more than hair, which is a technique issue. Trying shaving the bottom part from the bottom up and the top part (of the neck) from the bottom down. Stretch your skin and tilt your head to help with that and it should help. You also need to use no pressure other than the weight of the razor. That's the difference between a DE razor and cartridge razors.

Cartridge razors have plastic everywhere to protect you but often make you press in with the blade to be able to cut anything. That creates "bad" technique when you switch to a DE. Do that with a DE and you get...skin irritation.:)

I'm guessing that you don't really have a neck that is any more sensitive than anyone else. I'm guessing (could be wrong) that you just don't have a lot of experience with shaving (you are young and have a beard).

When you get irritation like that it means that the blade is cutting more than hair, which is a technique issue. Trying shaving the bottom part from the bottom up and the top part (of the neck) from the bottom down. Stretch your skin and tilt your head to help with that and it should help. You also need to use no pressure other than the weight of the razor. That's the difference between a DE razor and cartridge razors.

Cartridge razors have plastic everywhere to protect you but often make you press in with the blade to be able to cut anything. That creates "bad" technique when you switch to a DE. Do that with a DE and you get...skin irritation.:)
Erm I’m 27 and haven’t been called young for a while! So thank you 😂 as for experience in shaving I’ve been shaving my head daily with a DE for about a month so no issues at all, but I’m aware the face is different.. I’ve always spotted a beard so technique is bound to be off, practice makes perfect ey

Top Bottom